Masters Running

Favorite Recipe Thread (Read 1067 times)

Slo

Holly

I use an almost identical recipe to Leslie's.

Any nuts work.......I've used Pine nuts, Cashews, Almonds (whole, sliced and slivered) Pumpkin Seeds, sunflour seeds and one of my favorites is Pecans.

There is no hard and fast recipe to granola. Instead of the water I use syrup....Corn or Rice as well as maple oh and honey too. I also use 1/2 cup of canola oil in addition to what Leslie has listed.

Using the same recipe you can experiment with Peanut Butter, Flax seed, sesame seeds and another one of my favorite additions is shredded coconut. Adding a little cinnamon or nutmeg will really get the kitchen smelling awesome.

Like Leslie says....it makes alot. We go thru alot but if I make a double batch I'll freeze half of it.

King of PhotoShop

Hurry

I am needing a Polenta fix........Planning on doing something on the grill tonight. Anyone have and idea's for using Polenta as a side dish off the grill ?

And Old stand by....which I will revert to is:

Slice Polenta in 1/2" slices. Lightly gril both sides. Top with fresh mushrooms, chopped tomatoes and mozzarella....return to grill until cheese is melted.

SLO, roasted chicken on the grill would go well over a creamy polenta, and even better would be chicken cacciatore, although obviously not a grilled dish. 

But fried polenta is not  really polenta any more; in the south it is often called "fried cornmeal mush."  And there are many wonderful recipes for it for breakfast because its bland taste and texture allows it to be a palette for other flavor combinations.  Here is one.  Make polenta in the usual way but for every cup of cornmeal you use, add 1/4 cup of brown sugar and a tsp of vanilla.  Then let it set up in a loaf pan overnight covered with plastic wrap.  The next day,  slice it and fry it up as usual and serve for breakfast.  (Very low heat so as not to caramelize the sugar and burn it.)  Spareribs

Holly - I chop up almonds, my favorite nut.

Also, I add an extra 1/4 cup of brown sugar to the mixture.  It's not so much that it's gonna add a lot more calories, and it makes it stick together a better.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

These aren't really recipes and are pretty basic, but it's summer!  Who cooks much?

Lemon yoghurt makes a great topping or "sauce" for fruit salad in summer, along with some fresh mint.

If you can find fresh* cranberries, I love them cooked into oatmeal.  The tartness contrasts with whatever sweetener you use, and they add interest to the gruel.  And of course, add almonds.

Use up leftover baked potatoes by chopping them up, tossing them on non-stick foil, spray with a little olive oil and sprinkle with herbs (for a peppy breakfast, use garlic and some crushed red pepper flakes), then pop into the toaster oven while you scramble or bake your eggs (substitute). 

We grill extra peppers with supper and then use them in omelets on the weekends.

Frank wants me to add not to neglect your dog and remember to give him the skin off the grilled salmon.

*I usually only get to enjoy this from Nov-Jan.  Of course, any fruit on beyond the tired trio (bananas, apples, oranges) is wonderful then.

Masters 2000 miles

I have only made this once or twice, but I've got a couple of zuccinis in the garden almost ready.

Zuccini Casserole

2 medium zuccinis - shredded, like how you would shred cheese

1 chopped onion

2 garlic bulbs, crushed

8 oz shredded mozarella

4 oz parmesan cheese

1/2 tsp salt, bit of pepper

2 eggs

breadcrumbs

fry onion and garlic in oil, then mix all the ingredients together in a bowl.  Put in a baking dish, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and bake at 350F for an hour, the first 30 minutes covered with tin foil.

(good with spaghetti sauce....)

Works for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Enke - made this tonight with some fresh zucchini from farmer's market and my family went wild!! It was SOO good. Only, do you drain the zucchini after you shred it? I thought I had all of the liquid pressed out of it, but the casserole was a little runny. This recipe is definitely a keeper - thanks for sharing it!

Only, do you drain the zucchini after you shred it? I thought I had all of the liquid pressed out of it, but the casserole was a little runny.

Yes it is a bit runny, I don't know how to fix that.  Glad you liked it.  My zucchinis will be ready tomorrow!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Enke - I'm gonn have to try that one.  We get a produce box each week from the local college and end up with so much zucchini, it truly is ridiculous.  We actually 5 tonight and gave 2 to our friend.

It might help to gentle press the shredded zucchini between pieces of paper towel.  That should get rid of some of the excess moisture.

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ok, so I made my casserole this morning  - I accidently added twice the salt - not great.  I tried adding 1 tsp of cornstarch to help with the runnyness but it was still runny.  Otherwise it is ok.  I also got lazy, since we are having a heat wave and didn't fry the onions and garlic, a step which is probably fine to skip if you are short on time.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

CHOCOLATE BOY SCOUTS

(From Crazy Plates recipe book)

1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
                    ½ cup all purpose flour
                    1/4 teaspoon salt
                    1 cup backed brown sugar
                    ½ cup baby food prunes
                    3 Tbl. butter, melted
                    2 egg whites
                    1 tsp. vanilla
                    1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 325.

Combine cocoa, flour, and salt in small bowl.  Set aside.

Using a wooden spoon or an electric mixer on low speed, blend together brown sugar, prunes, butter, egg whites, and vanilla.  Gradually add flour mixture and blend after each addition.  Stir in walnuts.

Spray an 8x8 inch baking pan with non-stick spray.  Pour batter into pan and spread evenly.  Bake for 20-22 minutes, until edges feel dry to touch but center appears fudgy.  Do not overbake.

Remove from oven and let cook in pan before slicing.  For maximum moistness, store squares in an airtight container.

These are great served with low fat Cool Whip.  Everybody I've made these for has been shocked to fine out they are low fat and have baby food prunes in them.

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

OH! didn't know cookies were on the list!

Amish Sugar Cookies:

1 c. butter (margarine will not work here!)

1 c. powdered sugar

1 c. oil

1 c. sugar

2 eggs

4.5 c. flour

1 tsp soda

1 tsp cream of tartar

1 tsp vanilla

Dough will be soft. form into balls, roll in sugar & lightly press onto cookie sheet. bake @ 375 for approx 12 mins. frost w/cream cheese frosting: 4 oz pkg cream cheese, 1/2 stick butter or margarine, 1 tsp vanilla. 1/4 tsp almond extract, 3-3.5 c. pwdr sugar 1 TBS cream

Or, if you prefer slightly healthier:

Oatmeal Cookies:

use electric mixer - beat until fluffy:

1.25 c. butter flavored Crisco or margarine (butter doesn't work the same here)

3/4 c. firmly packed brown sugar

1/2 c. sugar

1 tsp vanilla

Add: 1 egg

1 1/2 c. flour

1 tsp soda

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/8 tsp nutmeg

3 c. old fashioned oats

1/2 c. chopped nuts (choice)

3/4 c raisins, or craisins or....??

roll 1" (ish) balls, bake @ 350 for 14 mins

my granola recipe is slightly different - I use honey rather than brown sugar...add a little ground flax seed..I change up the nuts/dried fruit combos almost every time I make it

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Marathon Maniac #957

Okay, look, did no one read the opener for this thread?  BREAKFAST FOODS ONLY.  I was deliberately trying to avoid desserts.  Look, you have me drooling on my keyboard again, and I think my thighs are getting thicker the longer I leave this page open....

I'm shielding my eyes now, and running away....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Top 'O the World!

But Holly, that was a cookie's original purpose in life!!
                          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                          stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Cookies aren't breakfast food?   I've been seriously mis-informed for a long time.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Cookies aren't breakfast food?  

In some countries it's actually against the law to NOT have a cookie for breakfast (it ain't a lie if you believe it! )  And for the record, my brownie recipe IS low fat, so I'm not completely derailing the diet efforts.  BTW - Crazy Plates cookbooks are choc full of great low fat recipes, plus lots of other interesting information and tid bits about food, fats, etc.

The following isn't too fattening, if you don't look at the calories/cholesterol levels in shrimp.  And let me tell ya - if you like shrimp cocktail (which I love), this recipe is da bom!

SHRIMP COCKTAIL (via Alton Brown of Food Network)

• 32 shell-on (21 to 25 count) tiger shrimp

For the brine:

• 1/4 cup kosher salt
                              • 1/4 cup sugar
                              • 1 cup water
                              • 2 cups ice

For the cocktail sauce:

• 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
                              • 1/2 cup prepared chili sauce
                              • 4 tablespoons prepared horseradish
                              • 1 teaspoon sugar
                              • Few grinds fresh black pepper
                              • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
                              • 1 tablespoon olive oil
                              • Sprinkle Old Bay seasoning

Directions

Using a pair of scissors or a serrated knife, make an incision down the backside of the shrimp, following the intestinal track. Eviscerate shrimp and rinse under cool water leaving shells intact.

Place cleaned shrimp into a bowl with brine and refrigerate mixture for 20 to 25 minutes. While shrimp are brining, place tomatoes, chili sauce, horseradish, sugar, pepper, and salt in food processor and blend until smooth. Refrigerate cocktail sauce until ready to serve.

Place a baking sheet or broiler pan under oven broiler and preheat for 5 minutes. Remove shrimp from brine and drain thoroughly. Rinse the shrimp under cold water and dry on paper towels. In a large bowl, toss shrimp with olive oil and sprinkle with Old Bay seasoning, if desired.

Place shrimp onto a sizzling sheet pan and return to broiler immediately. After 2 minutes, turn the shrimp with a pair of tongs. Return the shrimp to broiler for 1 minute. Transfer to a cold cookie sheet. Refrigerate immediately.

Once shrimp have chilled, arrange with cocktail sauce in a martini glass or as desired. (These big shrimp look really cool hanging off the edge of a martini glass filled with the cocktail sauce.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Dave59

Is this what you're looking for?