Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 1.25.14 (Read 41 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Good luck with that ankle sprain in Tai Chi, NHLA. Can't say I know what a bankwalker is.

Sounds like a great time last weekend, Sarge! Congrats on a good time in the Chilly Cheeks 10-miler, despite challenging conditions.

Good TM workout, Dave. It can be both exciting and terrifying to talk about moving. But you've got some good reasons (and more coming) to consider heading south.

I hope you got home safely, CNY. Welcome back to the freezer.

Ribs, I think at any age, you lose the desire to fight the elements if there is not a goal. I recently signed up for a few spring races to ensure that I have the motivation to train through the winter. Your urologist sounds like a good guy, just like you. Thanks for the update - you appear to be taking an "eyes open" approach to dealing with this, which is the best way to go. Best wishes for good outcomes.

I'm glad your calf is coming along, Tammy!

I saw that prediction about the current generation a while ago, Enke. It's a good warning, but I find the prediction rather suspect.

A shower at the new office is great, Tramps! Nice 7er yesterday.

I hope you had a good run with DS last night, and I hope those mittens worked for you

Nice outside & inside 10er yesterday, Mariposai. What movie did you and EP wind up at last night?

Stumpy - yeah, it's weird when we go to NJ and have to remember to stay in the car while someone else pumps our gas.

I hope you have a great vacation, Twocat!

I agree that you chose the right option for today, Holly. How was the movie last night?

Good perspective on the tempo run 'problem,' Deeze!

8.3 racewalking miles at 4:15am. It was a balmy 14F, but the wind was pretty strong (WC at 0) and was finding ways into my shoes, mittens, windbreaker and knit cap. So I went with the wind as much as I could, and just dealt with it (not having mountains to hide behind like NHLA) when I had not choice but to turn into the wind. We have site walks (for out conservation commish) at 9 this morning, and I'm not looking forward to being out in this refreshing weather, but not being able to build up much body heat. I'm going to get us through those site walks as quick as I can. After that, I get to join DW and some friends for a late breakfast, and then we head to the indoor farmer's market.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

When I was told about the coming new grandkid, Annabelle hadn't been told yet so I don't know her feelings yet.  She doesn't like it when she isn't the center of attention, but she'll be 6 by then and I think she will be mostly ok with it.

We don't have a place we consider home, so moving isn't too big a deal.  I grew up near Buffalo, NY, went to college in Ohio, lived in WV, then Texas, and now Michigan.  All our best friends we made here in Michigan have been transferred to other places, so its not like we'll be leaving friends and family.

I woke up early and headed out for a run.  21°, calm winds, light snow.  About the 3 mile mark, heavy snow started with the big wet flakes.  By 4 miles, the wind picked up, the snow picked up and became the fine blizzardly flakes.  I could barely see the dim light from homes and street lights through the snow.  At one point I wondered if I had made a wrong turn and was on a dead end street, but when I got to the end of the road I could see where it turned (and I was where I had intended to go.)

Then the snow let up, but when I looked at my watch to mark the point of the change, it was blank.  I guess I should have charged it up.

My goal was 8 miles minimum, but the wind was cold, I could feel the dampness from the heavy snow start to make my feet wet.  And I was pretty wet all over, so I turned towards home.  

I remembered my route, so I entered it on a map and it came out to about 6.6 miles.

Cindy and I went out to breakfast and then back at home I got the snow blower and shovel out to clear the sidewalks and driveway.

It's 10:00am... now what?  Nothing left to do.

...mornin' jay//..........at 4-AM you sir are AN ANIMAL///////

...snow, ice, dropping temps, and everything else you didn't want.......

THE GOOD NEWS>>>>>it hits 40 this afternoon

..............I love TheSouth

=======

..........but  I digress......

37mprnb

with steps

.............good running guys..................off to Knoxville after work, Claire is throwing me a B'Day Party

Does it get any Better??

I think not.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Good morning friends .... I stayed in my warm bed until  8am!!  Felt great!!   6 mile tempo run done - 1/2 mile warmup then 6 miles between an 8:41-8:50 pace followed by .2 cooldown .... now to stretch and get some core work in.

Have a wonderful Saturday my friends!!

denise

After shoveling out DW & I went to the gym. 6.5 miles on the treadmill. Only about 3 inch snow the thrift was 2 foot in front of the garage door.

Sorry to hear about your health issue Ribs, best wishes on recovery .

Happy birthday tw!

Keep kozy!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Birthday, TW!!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I suspect the outdoor meeting could very easily be mistaken for a speedwalking race.

Dave - Somehow me thinks Annabelle would more easily get through the new baby blues with Grampa around for lots of lovin'.

Tom - There better be pics of this very special birthday party.  Happy Birthday!

Hi, Deez and everybody else to follow.

I'm watching CNN.  They just said there's a company making "meggings" - - leggings for men.    IMHO - Unless you're working out in cold weather, leggings are a bad idea no matter who you are.  Unless they're under a dress that comes down at least close to your knees.  There's a couple of gals in our office who wear leggings on a regular basis with a shirt over the top that barely covers their butt.  *sigh* Maybe I'm just getting old.

Okay - Gotta get myself together for the Clam Beach Run.  See ya on the flip side ~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

C-R

Meggings? I guess that matches with the manziere.

Some nice stuff in less than good conditions in here this morning.

Patrick and I ran our XC race this morning. We both finished in under 30 minutes which was my back of the mind goal when we saw the course. 6+" of fresh snow. At least the snow made you ignore the 20 mph winds. Start temp was 25 which frankly is a heat wave around here. Once we were done and got a hot chocolate and banana we both agreed it was fun and we will run it again next year. Probably the toughest 5k I have ever run.

Well enjoy the day folks and happy birthday TW.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Greetings Friends!

Indeed I got home just fine (and even landed a bit early). I flew through Midway (Chicago) yesterday without a problem and yet a colleague was flying through Chicago and delayed five hours (through O'Hare and a different airline, and wow did I feel lucky!

I can't imagine much better TW than a Claire Birthday party! Very cool and Happy Birthday!

Exciting news for all of you Dave and I'll bet Annabelle will share the attention just fine.

Nice racing C-R and son and especially with that much new snow. The conditions sound like the 5 mile race I ran during Thanksgiving break in Rochester, NY---Trail race but in seven inches of new snow on non-groomed trails.  Well done for you and your kiddo!

10 miles for me this morning on a hilly race course nearby (the course is the site of the first USATF-NE Grand Prix series race for the new year so I am running it a lot). I ran with a younger teammate and she helped drag my sorry a$$ through the speed-up portions. Coach had us doing 2 x 16 minutes at 7:15 pace with a 6 minute rest in between. Of course the first speed-up started on the first big climb on the route. Ah well....didn't quite hit the 7:15s, but close and felt relieved when we got back to the car!

Continued well wishes to Ribs and family as you sort out the next decisions and move into treatment phase.

Healing vibes to lamerunner too---hope you feel better each day.

Meggings? Oh. My.

Mariposai

Annabelle is going to be superb big sister!

Karin, you always impress me with your daily miles.

Hurray, Denise was able to fit in her tempo run! Way to go sistahhh.

Dave, tough run! Enjoy your day with nothing else to do.

Jay, you are one tough athlete. Balmy 14F . BTW, we postpone the movie night to tonight because the EP had to do some additional studies for the class on taxes that he is teaching to the AARP volunteers.

No running for me yet. I am getting ready for my playmates to show up at the house at 10am I do plan to run a few miles in the afternoon.

Happy birthday pirate! Enjoy your birthday party.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

Not much to report except a 4 mile tired shuffle today, but it's still a great day to say Happy Birthday to TomWhite. Make it a great day!  Spareribs

NHLA

Hot Chocolate 10k  51 min  Too damn cold 13 degrees. Ran fast for 1 1/2 miles then I lost my breath and never got it back. Still coughing.

Well run race. What a hill at the end. You could see the ice patches floating in The French Broad river.

coastwalker  when we were kids and went skinny dipping most of the boys tried to get in the water asap except for the well endowed. We called them bankwalkers.

fatozzig, congrats to your husband.  sarge, nice chilly cheeks 10 mile challenge.  tomw, happy birthday.  ribs, I think it is great you've got a doctor that wants you to be informed about all the alternatives.  Dave, great news about another grandkid on the way.  C-R, good job for you and your son on the snowy XC race.  NHLA, nice racing in the cold.

Nice long runs for Twocat, wild, CNY, and mari.

This morning, I woke up with absolutely no desire to do anything.  The temp was about 20°, it was windy, and the roads were icy.  I briefly considered going outside but did another 8 miles on the TM at an 11:06 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

This morning, I woke up with absolutely no desire to do anything.  The temp was about 20°, it was windy, and the roads were icy.  I briefly considered going outside but did another 8 miles on the TM at an 11:06 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Wow, Imagine what you might do if you woke up feeling ambitious? 

Nice races and runs for a bunch of folks.

Leslie--as an interested observer, I would have to say that leggings on some folks are perfectly acceptable. 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

Nice racing C-R, in snow and wind.

You too, NHLA  That's cold for race day.

Nice running, as usual, Karin.

Cleaned all day and now I'm about to head out for a 5-miler before it gets dark.  That howling wind is not exactly inviting. Brrr.

ETA: Turned out the wind had more bark than bite, so I stuck it out for a slippy 7.

Be safe. Be kind.