Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 5.4.17 (Read 31 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone (or should I say Brinin' everyone  )

Wednesday's wonderous workouts:

Tramps (EZ 6 sunny, cool morning miles)

Holly (6.5 TM miles)

Stumpy (4.5 IRC miles)

Fatozzig (40 morning min of core & UB ST work)

RunnerKSA (3.1 cool, sunny morning miles)

Tet (5 early morning, wet miles)

BerthaSlayer (4 miles with coughing)

Evanflein (9.2 later miles with mizzle intensifying)

Catwhoorg (5 almost uneventful miles)

Dave (4.33 miles in IRC)

Pfriese (EZ 6 recovery miles around town, with windage)

Mike (6 miles with heel pain, but no calf pain)

Thanks for nailing me on the spelling flutterball yesterday  - great photo, Tramps!

Good luck with the possible cortisone shot, Fatozzig.

Lucky you (not) for getting the surprise invite to the 3-hour meeting, Dave.

I don’t know what kind of music you all like. I like a fairly wide range (I think) of styles and artists, but I could listen to this all day.

I went out for 5.6 miles at the usual time, in 42° temps. I've got some glute knots that I need to loosen up by this weekend, so I focused on them with some of my stretching this morning, and will hit them again tonight.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

3.4 morning treadmill miles-  howling wind and some rain outside, so it was easier to be inside!

1.5 quick treadmill miles after work.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Henrun

Have an early doctor's appointment, so went out for a 2 miler close to Jay time. Surprised to see hordes of runners out but, a heavy soaker predicted for tomorrow brought everbody out today.

BTW, Jay today is Thursday 😎. I like your music but I,also, like a wide variety.

Tramps

Jay--I love acoustic blues too...among many things. That kid's got some talent.

And for the record, I didn't "nail" you on spelling; that was Holly.  I just piled on afterwards.

Last week I did 2x1 mile @ 5K pace and the knee did well.  This week I thought I'd test the knee a bit by trying 3x1 tempo intervals with 1/2 mile jog in between; more "speed" mileage but slower pace.  The first two miles went fine but halfway through the third tempo mile I started feeling pain in the knee.  I finished the mile but cut the overall run short to be safe; no need to push it now.  Turned out to be 7.4 miles overall.  I'll probably try the same workout next week.

Hey, a promising start that grinds to a slow, painful, premature end...that sounds a lot like the Caps season.

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

So even after they got rid of Sidney, the Caps couldn't beat the Pens?  Watched for a bit last night, but didn't see the results.  At least rooting for the Bruins, it's over short and sweet.

3.8 miles this morning.  another IRC at 39° and no breeze.  Did break out the toque and gloves, but the long pants are stored away for the summer.  I'm pretty sure i got negative splits, but will have to wait for download to see how much.  Raising faint hope for a decent time next Saturday.

I'm not sure I could listen to any type of music all day.  But that's one I know I don't, but certainly should.  Have to appreciate the talent.  in that light, here's someone that FB found for me and I now enjoy from time to time  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL9rBAjut2g

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Lovin' the Blues today!

I listen to audiobooks a lot, while running and making the commute to work, and enjoyed two British detective stories recently - The Cuckoo's Calling and The Silkworm, by Robert Galbraith.  I was very surprised to learn that Robert Galbraith is a pseudonym of J.K. Rowling, of Harry Potter fame. Surprised because I like these books, when I really didn't like the Harry Potter books.  I generally enjoy fantasy, sci-fi, and magic-filled stories, but I thought the Harry Potter series was poorly written and felt the books dragged quite a lot.  Mostly, I considered the success to be more from marketing genius than from true entertainment value.  Anyway it looks like BBC is filming a TV series based on the Robert Galbraith character Cormoran Strike, and I hope it plays here in the States when it is released.

3.1 miles for me on the TM this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

What a talented guitarist. I enjoy blues also - blues, soul, r&b, is the genre I enjoy the most. 

yesterday was HOT. 94 here. no running for me. Today should be upper 80's so I'm going to run some trails after work. I need to heat acclimate for next month's relay but sure hoping we have weather like we did last year. not too unbearably hot at all.

thankfully, this hot weather is only going to last a couple days and then back to 60's, which I'll like since i have a race and long run to do this weekend.

Today is David's final tennis match and then Districts next week. He's had a good season and I think he's only lost his first match, which is when he went up against the #2 guy in the district and I think he was #4 at state last year, so he was tough competition for a newbie tennis player. Today's will be tough though. Another top state contender.

Have a good day folks. It's my Friday, so needing to get lots done.

Tammy

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Since it appears to be Blues day, I love this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W4DIBKtvBs

I  love all types of musics, except reggae and hard core rock.  I can get into hard rock sometimes, but I grew up on country, so I'll always be a country girl at heart.  REAL country, not the pop-country carp that seems to have taken over the airwaves. The Hub is a big fan of Ozzy Osborn, Judas Priest, and AC/DC, so in our stacks of CDs (and we have a LOT of CDs), we have The Judds followed by Judas Priest. 

Last night I stopped at the gym on the way home from work and then did some virus removal on a neighbor's PC.  I hope there is a special level in Dante's hell for people who infect 80+ year old's computers with adware.

Then a surprise invite to a 3-hour meeting which has pretty much made me useless for the rest of the day.  I hope there is a special level in Dante's hell for people who hold 3-hour meetings that cover 2 dozen projects with no breaks. 

Amen, Dave!

Appt went well yesterday - except I was in the waiting room for an hour, then in the appt room for another hour before I saw the doc, which meant my 1:20 appt became a 3:30 appt.  If the situation had been different, I probably would've left, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Anyway - he asked me to point to where the issue was, I did, and he said, "Oh, the ischial bursa."  YES!!  THANK YOU!!  He asked what other measures I have taken (stopped all exercising, large amounts of OTC anti-inflammatories, icing, standing 95% of my day) and said he's done a handful of injections into that bursa, it's a small amount of cortisone, and it knocks the inflammation out - good to go.  Then I can start dealing with the underlying issue.  For the first time in months, it felt like someone was actually listening to me and not treating me like a nuisance.

The downside?  He's young, good looking, and my 51-year old very white a$$ will be exposed for all the world to see.   I'm willing to make the sacrifice.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

The downside?  He's young, good looking, and my 51-year old very white a$$ will be exposed for all the world to see.   I'm willing to make the sacrifice.

In today's world, I can promise you that most 50+ year old's asses that he's seen don't look anything like a runner's backside.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

- except I was in the waiting room for an hour, then in the appt room for another hour before I saw the doc, which meant my 1:20 appt became a 3:30 appt.

Seems like the norm anymore.   Thankfully, having the Kindle app on my phone has rendered these waits more bearable - my library books are always with me in my time of need....  Good luck on the shot - I sure hope it clears this up for you.  You have been dealing with this way too long.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

In today's world, I can promise you that most 50+ year old's asses that he's seen don't look anything like a runner's backside.

Holly - I think my biggest frustration has been with the snail's pace of health care in Humboldt County.  If I had had the money to pay for care out of pocket, I would've gone back to the ortho in Portland in February (where I was initially diagnosed) and had everything done within a week.  Even getting into PT around here can take 2-3 months or more. Thankfully, I have been seeing the same PT for a number of years and they usually fit me in within a week or so when I need care, but for folks trying to get in for the first time, it's absolutely ridiculous.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Tramps

So even after they got rid of Sidney, the Caps couldn't beat the Pens?  Watched for a bit last night, but didn't see the results.  At least rooting for the Bruins, it's over short and sweet.

We prefer slow and ridiculously painful.

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

dg.

ok, I'll play.   another favorite (though hard to pick).... went with this because I'm having a hard time staying awake at work today  .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSFhn0I8VfI

Leslie I've been amazed too at how long this has taken!   When did you say you get your shot?

I'm behind again, sorry, and since I'm plum tuckered I won't catch up very well right now.    Did a Tetrun this morning, 5.15 in the rain, just a light wind & about 48.  wasn't at all unpleasant.    mild hillage.   then some core work & things.   at the gym I always do weight machines after I run, but at home, it's too easy to think,  'later.'..

all for now!

can't resist adding the whole album.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZZCxQrM_aA

loved the others, thanks for starting this Jay.   btw, your hammies are better?