Masters Running

Mondaily, 8.13.18 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sunday's workouts:

Dave59 (3 morning miles in new Hoka Bondi 6 - comfortable)

RunnerKSA (3.4 miles in new Pegasus 35 Turbos - felt good)

Marj (power walk with donut pick-up)

Tet (1 'hood mile on sore quads to get blackberries for Queen DW)

Pfriese (12 cool, dirzzly morning miles)

Holly (13 run/walk miles with little energy)

Henrun (4 foggy miles, followed by donuts)

Quickadder (9.3 morning trail miles with DD with dew point at 76° and rising)

Falconfixer (5+ post-race miles by feel in H&H, with knees OK)

Spacityrunner (5 mile H&H walk in Hot Springs Mounitain with a friend)

Tammy (6.3 trail miles with friends in rare blue sky break)

Jlynne (negative shot golf cross-training)

Wildchild (4 mile trail hike with DD & DSIL)

Tomwhite (60 min HH 2-1s in 92° with a breeze)

Surly Bill (18 miles at 9:04 pace with some muscle cramps after 14+)

Fatozzig (housework cross-training + bridges)

Stumpy (2.2 birthday celebration miles in Maine)

Mike (6 post-work, pre lawn-mowing miles)

StarrRuns (2.5 mile post-baking walk/run)

Evanflein (19.5 tough Equinox miles)

SteveP (half marathon, 8 min. faster than the one in June, then run with the creek dogs)

Enjoy the new shoes, Dave and KSA, and the donuts, Marj & Henrun!

Smart man, Tet.

Good run for 'no energy' Holly.

Wet day all around, Quick.

Sorry about Dolly's difficulties, Spacityrunner.

Sounds like a great barbecue, despite the weather, Twocat. Good luck with the new orthotic.

Congrats on getting a break from the fires & smoke, Tammy.

Wishing you good luck & good profits on the house, Jlynne.

Sorry about the cramps, S. Bill, Dehydration?

Welcome back, Joe. Good luck to your amazing guest preacher.

Starr, I go out in the dark because the sun refuses to come up early enough. Racewalking does feel strange when one is starting out because you are teaching your body to walk differently than it has been your whole life. Be patient...

Good racing, pup running, and smoking, Steve!

OK - gotta go to today's first meeting. Have a greta Monday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Great recap (or greta recap), Jay.

Trying a new plan- basically low HR but called 80/20 and the runs need to really be done at an easy level 80% of the time.  Even as slow as I am, my effort level has been too high.  I'll explain more later.  It's tough to go as slowly as I really need to......

Anyway, overslept and only had time for 2.5 miles.   2.5 more very slow treadmill miles after work, so 5 for the day.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Stumpy, I confirmed that the racewalker you saw at Cigna was my friend, Hank. When I asked him about the encounter with you, he said; "I mentioned that I was allowed 3 paddles from 3 judges. Jokingly. He was very nice and knew what he was taking about. I can smell knowledgeable people miles away! Let him know I loved the comment!"

I will admit that I went by without thinking to invoke your name, Jay, but glad he appreciated it.  The only reason I could pretend to be knowledgeable is what I learned from hanging around you.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Henrun

I was planning a rest day but, after some of that gourmet donut I had enough energy to do stretches, weights and a modified 1.5 mile racewalk.

Still foggy, cool and humid.

pfriese

Cloudy & 72 degrees, not bad for a mid-August morning to run 6.2 miles to town & back. School starts on Thursday so I'll need to change up my route a bit to avoid school bus stops & high school drivers. Smile

Paul

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I hope I didn't embarrass the shoes with my slow pace!

That would be impossible.
              However, opposite-land is why my attire and equipment over the years have never been anything to brag about as it would actually be more embarrassing to do badly in good attire and equipment than on attire-and-equipment more appropriate to my ability.  Besides, it makes a lot of people assume, “you’d do a lot better if you’d upgrade a little.”

Oddly enough, after running her first race in $12.99 K-Mart shoes (1978 Bloomsday), one of my tri-nemeses over the years upgraded to the more popular colorful shoes and fancy zoot-suits so she would be more inconspicuous.
              Marj/Henry - Nothing like the paces your nemeses have back there but, at 88-yo, she just posed a 12:47m/m pace in the initial run in this year’s US Triathlon Nationals in Cleveland (that rough Lake Erie waters turned to duathlon)
              ps erika - without the incentive of the actual race going on, there’s nothing wrong with anything on the Equinox Marathon trails.  

ps wildchild - I'm wondering what your doc'll be thinking of your two mile walks, eight mile trail hike, spinning, etc. but I might not tell DW about it as she awaits her meniscus follow-up tomorrow.

*note: “nemesis” - anyone older than me who is faster
              (ed note: no need for last part)

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

KSA - When I'm actually able to run, I do my best to do the 80/20, and yes, the 80 seems so incredibly slow, but surprisingly (not!) I don't feel so spent at the end of the run.  Go figure!  Most coaches worth their salt will tell you that's the best way to train.

I'll get in my 5 minutes of running after work.  I didn't want to be too exhausted this morning. 

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Someday I want to go to one of Twocat's BBQs....

SteveP - love the doggie pics!

5 recovery-paced miles for me this morning in a very pleasant 66 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

Liz, I'm sorry to hear of Dolly's decline and sorry that CBD oil doesn't seem to have much benefit for her. 17 yrs is a long life for a dog. and the 2nd half of her life was certainly her best years. You gave her quality for sure!

back to work after a week off. hard to get my working mojo going. might take a few days 

Tammy

...24-min on Precor............Legs are shredded

that thing is TOUGH

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

pfriese

Liz, I missed your post about Dolly yesterday. So sorry for you, it is hard to know that you'll be saying goodbye soon. Dolly has had a good home. (((Liz)))

So sorry about Dolly, Liz.   Our 2 Goldens are 15 (today is JJ's birthday) and I know we won't have them too much longer.....  I hate the thought.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Holly S. one day I hope you can make it to the barbecue. Not sure your DD's reason for going is really much of an excuse for not clearing it with you first.

tetsujin209 man you have a tough editor!

coastwalker I am starting to think that if you have a day without a meeting that is the first sign of the apocalypse. I going to check some ancient scrolls, I bet I can find it.

Jlynne house buying and selling can be very, very aggravating. I hope the two deals all play out okay for you.

Joe618 DC can be fun. It has been quite some time since I went there for fun.

fatozzig I hope yesterday's report is some sign of improvement.

StarrRuns amazed you did not have to stop mid day for a nap!

evanflein after the financial crisis appraisers were held up as the bad guys and they all reacted by coming in with relatively low appraisals. At best you can estimate a home's price to within 10% of its value given a modestly patient seller. Nowadays, the appraisers put the value towards the low end of that range. My BIL was told his late mom's house was worth about $575k. It sold to a developer for $605.

SteveP if you want to come over with some of those ramps, I would be happy to get your help!  Dogs can come over too. 

This morning I got fitted for my orthotic. I have an appointment for Thursday to try it on, assuming it comes in by then. I sure hope it does, I want to get this all over with. In happier news, I received a backup camera for my car some time ago. To install it you need to get under the car, which I cannot do without SteveP's ramps. I brought the whole thing over to a local mechanic and he said he would install it on Wednesday. It will be nice to see what the rear of the car is hitting at least a few seconds before it hits it! 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Rest day.

Weird thing; my hip Iliac crest/gluteus medius) which has been sore after runs and the next morning feels almost...normal. No real aches in the achilles, either. There's something about long runs that fixes stuff in me for a while. A few years ago my aching achilles stopped hurting altogether after 20-25 miles in the Grand Canyon; after stopping at Phantom Ranch on the way back to the South Rim it wasn't hurting any more when I started up again, and was fine the rest of the summer (I didn't attempt anymore speedwork). The 18 miles/2:43 run yesterday also appears to have "fixed" stuff. Maybe I just killed the nerve endings, and I can't feel anything 

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Joe618

Evening all!

Got in an easy 8 miles early this morning...and it was sad to see the sun still had not peeked over the horizon by the time I got home.   Yes, the days are getting shorter.   The run was enjoyable, as I got mentally set for going back to work this morning.   Full day.   And then off to Atlanta tomorrow with a supply chain matter.  I wonder if Aretha Franklin could help md.

If you are interested in pix from our DC trip, I compiled them here on my running blog.

KSA, hang in there on the 80/20.   It does work.   I used that strategy and BQed last fall.

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.