Masters Running

Snowy Tuesday, 3.14.17 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Yesterday’s momentous workouts:
    RunnerKSA (3.1 TM miles, not in cold & dark)
    Dave (3 Tallahassee miles in 47° temps for coldest spring break run)
    Tramps (EZ 5.5 in different morning light)
    BerthaSlayer (1 CL mile, with molasses and deer)
    Holly (2 TM miles in paradise, then onto the beach)
    Catwhoorg (faster 6 miles in 37° breezy weather)
    Tet (5 miles in pleasant 47° with headlamp)
    Evanflein (35 min, pool running)
    Mike (6 miles, with 3 X 1 - not so good)
    Tomwhite (40 min HH on Greenway + 40 min pool run)

Good luck and be careful to everyone who has snow on the ground or on the way.

Tammy, did David decide to play tennis yesterday? How’d he do if he did?

Don’t get too used to sleeping in and not running, Fatozzig!

Sounds like it was a tough vaca, Holly. I’m glad you and the mystery friends survived.

Thanks for the sad news about Ed Whitlock, Marj. Yes, he was a great inspiration to all senior runners.

I’m so glad you had a better appointment with the doc, Fatozzig. I hope you keep making good progress.

OK - no more talk about scallops. Except that is probably what we'll have for dinner tonight.

Today is our Town Meeting vote, and they opted not to postpone it despite the expected blizzard today. So I stopped to vote on the way into the office. Not an original idea - I had to wait in line to find an empty voting booth, and then wait in line again to hand in my completed ballots. A friend is the Supervisor of the Checklist (maintains voter records/registrations, etc.), and she has to be there all day today. She said the Fire Dept. has promised to get her and her car home tonight, regardless of the weather conditions. We're in the 18-24" forecast band, but we'll see what really happens. I was supposed to attend a 3-hr meeting this morning that is now going to be a 3-hr. conference call. My line may go dead somewhere along the way, especially if the meeting goes like this:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYu_bGbZiiQ

3.25 RW mile before the snow started this morning. I had planned on 5, but my ankle was a little wonky again, so I shortened it up, and now have my ankle brace/band on for the rest of the day. Someday I'll try to figure out what causes this, but so far, it happens infrequent enough and is short-lived enough that I just consider it a nuisance.

Have a great Tuesday, whatever your weather!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

3.25 in Tallahassee. Another 47° morning but with some wind today. Could be in the 30's either tomorrow or the next morning. Got to run and check in at work before the grandkids wake up.

mrrun

Two mile walk for us this morning - before the 8 - 12" snows come in.  Saw 3 friends on the street also getting out before cabin fever strikes - and a few boston marathon jackets

Jay - prevention is always the best medicine and Dave - send that weather here!

Good luck to all those on the east coast - may the predictions be waaayyyy too high (unless you want to ski)

marj

Tramps

So far, we’ve gotten sleet rather than snow, so everything’s got a nice coat of ice on it. Power's still on, too.  [knocks on wood] Since my knee’s flared up a bit, I think I’ll call this an unscheduled rest day.

Happy pie day.

.....what?

I’m still thinking about Ed Whitlock.  I love that he appears to have run very simply. From the Runner's World piece:

Whitlock also defied convention, especially for older runners, in his approach to non-running activities, in that he did no stretching, strength training, or cross training. When he was injured, he simply stopped running until he felt able to resume his high-volume training. He followed no special diet, other than to eat enough to keep his weight up. Whitlock mostly ran in old shoes he’d won at races or had otherwise received; he said the racing flats he wore to break 4:00 at Toronto were 15 years old.

Also, he apparently ran with no watch and didn’t time or count the laps he famously ran in the cemetery.  Some of that may be apocryphal but I still love the general simplicity of the approach.

And the times?  Yowsa.  Marathon records, for example:

Age      Time

68        2:51:02

69        2:52:50

70        3:00:23

72        2:59:09

73        2:54:48

74        2:58:40

75        3:08:34

76        3:04:53

80        3:15:54

81        3:30:28

82        3:41:58

85        3:56:33

R.I.P.

Be safe. Be kind.

Good morning folks. I saw the East Coast weather on the national news this morning. I hope you all have enough food - and "adult beverages" -

to get you through these difficult days ahead!

At age 85, Ed Whitlock was running marathons faster than me. He was an inspiration to so many people.

Take care of that ankle Jay. And Dave? You used to live in Michigan. 47° should feel downright balmy!

Hi Marj!

30 minutes of lap swimming and 45 minutes of pool running yesterday afternoon. It was awesome. I went after work and before the school kids got there for lessons. There was only me and one other person in the entire pool! Back on the elliptical this morning for an hour, then 25 minutes of weights and core stuff.

It's cold here today. 12°  But at least the sun is out. And the couple of inches of snow we got yesterday seem easy-peasy compared to what y'all out East will be dealing with today.  Stay safe people!

It's always sunny and mild on my treadmill!  2.5 miles this morning since I couldn't get out of bed in time to do more.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Sorry to hear about Ed Whitlock.  He's been my hero for a long time.

That marathon record at 80 years old really sticks out, doesn't it.  3:15:54.  How many youngsters wouldn't love to run a time like that?

I'll go do a run a bit later, maybe with Remi.  He is 6 years old today.

Maybe I should make a pie too.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

good morning all!

Jay, David's tennis match is today. He did play for about 20 minutes with his doubles partner yesterday to see how everything felt and how his serves were and has decided to play in the match today. But coach moved him down to 3rd singles (normally, he's 1st singles) so he can play against someone that doesn't have as powerful of a hit. the guy he would be going up against I guess is #1 in the state with a 90 mph serve. so smart move to not have David go against him. that would be too much of a jarring impact to his wrist.

long long day for me - work all day and then my board meeting, which will likely go late tonight as we are planning for our annual year in review presentation given to the public next friday night.

Tammy

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I had humble pie today. Bertha kicked my butt today. Hubby took a photo of my attempt to slay her.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

catwhoorg

Labrat

6.28 (and a little extra) for double pi in the cold (44F) drizzle.

With it being cold and damp, I just hit the workout hard to start getting warm and kept it at a good intensity.

I am sure I will pay for that tomorrow.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Also an interlude before the storm run for me this morning.  decided last night that getting into work for only a few hours and then having to drive home in the heart of the storm was NOT very enticing.  Of course, I may loose my Upstate NYer's card for letting a little 8-12" storm keep me home, but as i listen to the wind while typing, I don't feel any remorse at all.

4 miles around the lake with a little less than an inch of snow on the sidewlaks and none at all on the road.  27°F and not much wind at 7:30 (I took the luxery of sleeping in a bit), so a very pleasant run.  Tomorrow's 5 at 1/2 pace may prove to be interesting.  not.

one more question about scallops (sorry, Jay)--How do you know when day boat scallops are coming in?  Is there a season that maybe just ended?  since I'm right up in your neck of the woods during the week, I'd like to see if I could grab a few.

Happy Pi day, too.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Yes, Happy Pi Day (or pie if you so choose)

Coached swim 6-7am - not fast, but felt strong and consistent. Coached bike aka computraining 9:30-10:30 - again felt strong and was able to increase my threshold power halfway thru the workout and maintained it to the finish. I tried a little test run on the treadmill and while there wasn't any pain so to speak, my stride felt stilted and not smooth so I stopped. Still waiting for an MRI appointment .

The snow is coming down at quite a clip right now and the wind is howling!! Glad I am home with no plans to go out again -- until we need to start the clean up anyway!!

Happy Snow Day ----- bring on the sunshine and the melting!!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

It's always sunny and mild on my treadmill!  

Jay - I can barely conceive of that kind of snow in one storm.

BerthaSlayer - that is a tough hill!

Erika - mostly we got bypassed by the storm, but it is cold, 23 degrees right noe.

No time for me today.  I chose to work from home home because I have a root canal at 3, then had to drop everything to take DD in for an emergency ortho appt. due to part of an important appliance coming loose.

3 miles for me on the TM>

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Jay - Loved the video!

Nice hill, Berthaslayer.

Welcome back home, Holly.

Nothing for me today - or for the next few days, for that matter - except crutch work. Does that count as an upper body workout??

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

methinks Bertha-slayer needs a pair of x-c skis.

Warmer 50o but this morning's five-miler still needed

to invoke the PNW exception to the First Rule of Running

sometimes espoused by twocat.

Image result for icon running in the rain

jay - speaking of exceptions, there's also an absolute

fish/shellfish exception to the rule, if any, about not posting

on non-running topics, . . . along with the everything else exception too.

Moving Ed Whitlock tributes and updates. .

For him, even 86 was way too young,

especially by prostate cancer only five months

after his 3:56:33 sub-four.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)