Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 10.27.13 (Read 45 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

TSelbes - Beer pong for moms? What will they think of next? But I'm glad your mom had fun with it - objective achieved!

Speaking of moms - Congrats to your mom, Deeze, on her 75th birthday! Sounds like you treated her to a great celebration. Nice run too!

TW, I'm so sorry about the Crappe that you and Pickles are going through. You two, of all people, don't deserve any more stress, even if you do have the ability to handle it with amazing grace.

Nice racing, Ribs and Riblet!

Congrats on the hardware earned to you too, Dave! You can only race against those who show up, so don't apologize for the competition you did or didn't have.

Jlynne, we started having indoor winter farmer's markets in this neck of the woods, and they are fabulous - lots of locally-raise meats, all kinds of root veggies, jellies and jams, sauces, etc.

Lamerunner, I wish you nothing but "boredom" at next weekend's Manchester Marathon! Wink

Stumpy, I'm glad you got the Garmin going.

Yesterday's Great Bay 5K went pretty well. There were, as there always are, some last-minute glitches, but they were relatively minor in the scheme of things. It was in the upper 30s, dry, and sunny, which was about perfect for a fall race. I was  driving around the course getting things done when I realized that it was about 8:40, the race started at 9, and I was supposed to be in it. So I got back near the start, parked, gave DW my outer clothes, took care of a few more details, and got in the pack at about 8:58. My plan was to take it easy, since this was my first race of the weekend. Then the gun went off, and 'taking it easy' vanished. I felt like I had good pacing, and didn't think I was pushing it too hard. But when I passed the first mile clock at 10:09, I knew I was I was clearly in racing mode. Two runners passed me in mile 2 and said their goal in every race that I do is to beat me. I pulled up to another runner with about 3/4 mile to go and she asked my expected finishing time. I told her (31-32 min), and she said she'd stick with me - which she did. I finished in 31:34 (10:10 pace), which was pretty quick for me these days. I was the 2dn racewalker to my good friend, Stephan, who beat me by about 20 seconds. We registered 1,118 people for the race, and had 995 finishers (so close to 1,000!). We don't have all the numbers yet, of course, but it looks to have been a successful fundraiser. Overall, I was pleased with how things went, but I already have a list of things to work on for next year.

I had a good massage in the afternoon, but I also got calls from a friend and a neighbor, each of whom needed a hand moving some heavy furniture. So much for taking it easy after the race...

It's a little after 5am, and I have to get myself fed and packed, and then drive 2 hrs. to North Conway for this morning's half.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Congratulations on a successful event, Jay...and good luck in your half, today.

...thanks for the kind thoughts everyone

for

a ''NarcisticGroup'' you are very supportive

...............jay//......if RaceGoals are Beating You, you are DEFINITELY doing something right.........

==================

60min bikeride.....

............actually jlynne,

sometimes the biking hurts, but I'm too dman cheap to quit using it.....

poolrunning, on the other hand, usually helps a LOT

..............................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

Hang in there tomwhite.

Nice going Jay.  Cool that runners try to beat you!

Did 3.8 miles at easy pace in the park today. Felt super. I have my big Half on Sunday so no need to do anything long or difficult the day after a race. I'll have an energetic but low mileage week.

I just wrote my Dallas Morning News post for tomorrow and in it I'm talking about the meaning of the oft-heard phrase "junk miles."  Now I'm going to watch football and maybe make a pizza for dinner.  Spareribs

Good morning gentlemen (and ladies who post later) Nice racing yesterday Jay!  Does this race have a category for race walking? That was a smokin' pace - good luck today.

I think you were doing a sermon or prayer for today, right Mike? Hope it went well.

How are the temps right now Ribs? Must be a lot more comfortable these days. Be sure to share your column on "junk miles" tomorrow. Lately, it seems like all of my runs fall in the category of junk miles.

Hang in there Tom. That stubborn streak of yours is going to take you places you could only dream of Smile

Where has Twocat been lately? And Tramps?

6 miles this morning, 9:56 pace. Beautiful star-lit sky, no wind and a comfortable 32°. Ran with just a light jacket and capris and was quite comfortable. My DIL did a "Fall 50" race yesterday that starts at the tip of the Door County Peninsula and finishes in Sturgeon Bay. Quite a hilly route on some of the legs and her relay team finished averaging just over an 8 minute mile. Unfortunately, she hit a deer coming home last night. Her minivan is totaled and we are so blessed and grateful that she wasn't hurt.

Mariposai

Nice going Jay.  Cool that runners try to beat you!

I was thinking the same thing. Good luck in your Half mary today, Jay.

I was thinking and praying for TomWhite and Pickles while doing my XT today. Hang in there my friends!

No running for me yet. The house has to be picked up after the fun party we had last night. Only about 17 people showed up this year, but the number was perfect because it seems like people really enjoyed talking and laughing together and the group was manageable. We are so blessed to have terrific friends in real like and online as well.

Will be back later to give Kudos, after I relax a couple of hours picking the last bit of produce from the garden.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

Has Mariposai gone out of her mind?  What did she just wish luck to Jay about?

Okay, back to football.  The Lions have this cheater named "Dominant Sue" so the Cowboys will have their hands full today.  Spareribs

OHR - simple as that

Question - what truly measures how much we run?

I run with a Garmin and loosely keep track of the miles, but it seems as if my mood, the amount of laundry, and my grocery bill are the true measurements. With that in mind I came up with some calculations:

Mood - 20 miles = homeostasis (a stable state) - Miles Actually run = difference X 20 minutes of bad humor

i.e. 20 - 18 (miles actually run) = 2 X 20 minutes  = 40 minutes of bad humor somewhere during the week

Laundry - 5 miles = 3/4 of a load

i.e. 20 miles run = 3 loads of laundry

Grocery Bill - 1 mile = 100 calories = $1.5

i.e. 20 miles = $30

What measurements does everyone else use?

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Mariposai

It's a little after 5am, and I have to get myself fed and packed, and then drive 2 hrs. to North Conway for this morning's half.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

SpareRibs,

Wink

Jlynne, the twocats have been at the USDAA nationals cheering on twocat's sister in law and her dogs who were competing at the nationals. I am sure he will give us the details when they are back.

La Tortuga,  you are funny.

Jlynne, sorry to hear about your DIL hitting a deer on her way from her relay race. It is good to hear that she is OK. Great pace on  your run today, btw.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

A long, long time ago in what seemed a different galaxy,
                      I used to be able to keep up to the race walkers. 
                      Now I start back with the walkers.
                      LaT - for some reason, high on my measurement list is the smoothness of the running surface followed by scenery of various types,

Mari - I promise I won’t tell that you’re going to have the first race of that particular distance in the history of the world officially to be called what a lot of people call it anyway.    
                      Glad you’re bein’ a good boy Tom so you and Pickles can focus on getting her counts up instead of keeping you in line.
                      Last year, some young buck beat me by about ten minutes the first time today’s Run Scared 5K had an overall running barefoot division,  .However, this year looked like a shoo-in, or should that be shoe-in, as I didn’t see any bare feet in the mix at the start. However, just as I recently found out that watchless/gremlinless running is the new “naked,” the new “barefoot” now includes minimalist “Luna Sandals, Vibram Five Fingers, new Balance Hi-Rez, Vivobarefoot or Merrell Vapor Gloves.”  Oh well, at least I was the fastest barefoot ninja. 
                      Congratulations Jay on your half mary
                      Good luck to the ancient one too in his next week’s half you-know-what

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

mrrun

Jay - congrats - awesome result (I"ll let him tell all)

marj

wildchild

Carolyn

Jay, congrats on a speedy 5k yesterday, and I hope your half mary today was fun, too!

Jeanne, sorry to hear about your DIL hitting the deer.  Glad she's okay - I take it the deer isn't.

LaT - are those calculations based on weekly mileage?  So if I run 50 miles, I get 10 hours of extra good humor, do 7.5 loads of laundry, and spend $75 more on groceries?   I think your formulas might need some tweaking, but maybe I can add them to my theory of running relativity!

I did a really fun 15k trail race today in 1:29:29  (9:37 pace), and I won my AG (out of 4).   I guess it's a PR, since I've never raced a 15k before.  And I won a beer glass!   It was hilly single track, but all runnable, and I felt strong throughout.  I even passed some people on the last couple of hills.

tw, I was thinking of you and Pickles on my run today.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

will run for popsicles

i ran 5 miles while doing a laundry load that contained a troy aikman commemorative jersey and what the dryer would seem to indicate is $342 in nickels while positively beaming on a beach run in a postcard day of 84 degrees and sunshine, so under the TROR (Tortuga Rules of Running), I ran 137 miles. Yiannis Kouros' record doesn't stand a chance.

I share in Spareribs' mourning, unless the last minute of the Cowboys game was a hallucination brought on by the 137-mile run. unbelievable.

much sympathy on the deer, jlynne. We drive from Corpus to San Angelo every couple of weeks, so we're way too familiar with that experience. So scary, and no matter how closely you watch, you're no match for a deer's speed. Scary and sad at the same time. In a future life i want a Ford F350 pickup with the huge thing on the front.

yay, wildchild! congrats!!! the trail run circuit here has a lot of 15ks. I like that distance a lot. I find that as I get more creeky and longer distances are increasingly imposing, 15k is the three bears of running. Not too short, not too long. Now if they would just offer porridge at the finish line ...

mustang sally

Bad faerie

La T wrote:

Mood - 20 miles = homeostasis (a stable state) - Miles Actually run = difference X 20 minutes of bad humor

i.e. 20 - 18 (miles actually run) = 2 X 20 minutes  = 40 minutes of bad humor somewhere during the week

Laundry - 5 miles = 3/4 of a load

i.e. 20 miles run = 3 loads of laundry

Grocery Bill - 1 mile = 100 calories = $1.5

i.e. 20 miles = $30 

<3 <3 <3

I am going to try to come back again again because I am trying to start running again again.

One year ago today, I was getting slugged in the head by a bunch of rabid 40-49 women in Auckland Harbour's frigid water during a gale.  And that was just the beginning of my morning at the Tri Worlds.  The best part of the ride was being one of the biggest W40-49's, which meant I was one of the only old broads who could hold her bike down in the crosswinds.  And the best part of the run was finishing into my mother's arms... and she had a bronze medal around her neck from her own race in the Sprint distance earlier that day.

It's been downhill from there - a year of sloth and gluttony, during which I rode a lot, swam as little as possible, ran not at all, farted around quite a bit, and find myself delighted to have run *five* *whole* *miles* this morning.  Jeeeeeez.

It's been a wild year - job drama, kid drama, buying a little house and moving into it, and a lot of Life in General.  Enke, good luck with Door #4.  I just went to get my NEXUS card renewed.  They asked me why I wanted the card.  "Well, I travel a lot for work, and I'm dating this guy in the US," I said.  "What?!" asked the border agent.  "Well, no-one any closer by would go out with me," I said.  He gave me A Look, and proceeded to make fun of my employer's name, so we riffed on that awhile before he fingerprinted me and sent me on my way without offering to buy me dinner.  But I suppose he knows where to find me.

The drop from 15 hours of training/week to, like three, has had a few unexpected benefits, such as my newly rediscovered interest in cooking.  Unfortunately, that interest has dovetailed neatly with some of the expected disadvantages to Not Training, which has made getting my ass off the sofa even more difficult.

So, onward.  I'm hoping I can get myself up to 10k or so of trail running over the next few weeks so I can go crashing about in my beloved Thetis Lake Park by the time it gets really disgusting and muddy.  There's no better way to embrace a rainy winter than going out and getting wet and filthy on purpose.

Jlynne, glad your DIL was ok.

Coastwalker, very speedy race for you, yeah!

Vibrams are not barefoot!!!  Too bad Tetsujin.

Met Door#4 today.  Turns out he is a surgeon, who knew?  But it didn't click for me.  And when he started to get that glazed infatuated look on his face towards the end of coffee, I knew it was time to cut out.  Nice enough guy though.

Funny story - I signed up for a "free" dating site Friday night.  Filled out a bunch of questions.  As soon as I submitted them, 3 matches popped up. One of them was......guess.....Door#3!!!!   Arrrgggg!!  99% match. no joke.  So I just had to send him a quick note via the new site.....which began with "Arrggg!!"....anyway, I said a few nice things, as did he.  Hopefully we can stay in touch as friends.  I mean seriously, 99% identical on all aspects of personality, beliefs, etc.

5.3 mile fartlek Remi run.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."