Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 12.27.17 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Tuesday’s workouts:
    Dave59 (6 morning miles of jogging/walking in 25° temps)
    Quickadder (5@5 with DD + 1 mile at 7:55 pace)
    RunnerKSA (6.2 miles on the path with a new Garmin Fenix 5S)
    Tramps (16 lunchtime bike miles in 36° temps with new winter gear from SantaBee)
    C-R (8 trail miles in near-0 wind chill with eyelash icicles)
    Tet (5 morning miles in remnant snow)
    Twocat (13 miles in low 20s temps)
    Tammy (6.5 afternoon miles while contemplating a 50K)
    Surly Bill (7.8 miles at 7:46 pace in sunny low 60s temps)
    Falconfixer (2 miles before 11-hr drive home)
    Metalmancpa (6.2 chilly Falmouth miles at 8:38 pace)
    Evanflein (5.2 afternoon TM miles)

Quickadder, have the dueling docs reached a consensus diagnosis for your DW? I sure hope so!

Holly, I had a sore ankle yesterday morning too, and had to back way off on my workout because of it. Keeping it mostly still for the 5 hour drive home helped a lot. I hope yours is better as well.

Gotta love our badass trail runner!

From Twocat:  “I am not sure I view cooking in such metaphysical terms as in that essay. I do it as an escape from thought. While cooking I cannot think of work.”  Perfect!

Metalman, you're a good man/son for hanging out with your dad on Christmas Day, and giving the caregiver some family time as well.

We left NY at 8:45 yesterday morning, and rolled into our snow-covered driveway in NH at about 1:45. After we unloaded the car, I spent the next couple of hours snowblowing the snow-covered ice on our driveway and walks, adding another 2 miles of cross-training to my workouts for the day. Later, we had dinner and a glass of wine in front of a fire in the fireplace/wood stove, and confirmed that it was good to be home.

Just over 4 RW miles this morning under a moonless, starry sky in 7° temps. We won't see the upside of 20° again for about a week. My ankle is still a little wonky, so I've got the ankle brace on for the day. So it goes.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Glad your travels went smoothly, Jay.

How did that DH / DW thing start?  It predates me.

metalman--your Dad may not remember that day but you will. My mother had dementia and I know those last few years can be heart-rending.

Falcon--pics of the new dog?

Usual 5-miler for me this morning.

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

4 slowish treadmill miles at the gym this morning. It was 17° and a bit breezy this morning but it isn't just the cold that kept me indoors. I get tired of all the laundry created by winter runs.  With all the multiple layers I have a full load of wash after a run. By going to the gym I just have shorts and a t-shirt.

6.3 miles left to my goal of 100 miles this month. I want to hit it before the 31st so I can rest a day before the 5k on the 1st. I don't plan to "race" or go for another fast mile like in my last race, but I like to have the extra energy anyway.  As long as I don't blow out a knee, get the flu, or get hit by a bus I should have no problem hitting 100 before the 31st.

...getting ready for PT.........

.......metalman//..........I can relate too,

my dad had Dementia and was also Deaf,

I got so tired

of YELLING the answers to his questions,

I wrote the answers (they were always the Same Questions)

on index cards

and

Just held them up when he asked them

...made him Madder'n Hell>>>>>>so don't do that

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Thanks, Jay, and glad you got home without incident.  My son left this morning to dive 10 hours to Florida.  It's bitter cold here and he's going to be in cold for awhile, yet he was just wearing a long sleeved tech shirt and packed everything warmer.  Not smart.  I have to really practice the "let go" stuff.....  I am glad to have him here, but he's not the easiest...

It was 20 with a north wind this morning and I was sure it would be treadmill for me, but I got myself outside.  My face was cold for awhile- especially when going north, even with a gaiter.  Got OK and everything else was fine until the last mile when my toes got cold.  It was pretty peaceful.  No one was out.    3.6 miles.  Another 2.4 on the treadmill later in the afternoon so 6 miles for the day.

We have a new friend in our house- Alexa (Amazon Echo).  Still getting used to her.   Anyone else have this thing?

Dave- no kidding about the winter laundry!  Things are bigger, for one thing.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Quickadder

Thanks for all the kind wishes concerning my DW. The hospital has run all sorts of tests and ruled out any worsening of her heart conditions, so likely a recurrence or continuance of the pneumonia she had last month. They have her on IV antibiotics and hopeful that she will be able to come home later today.

We have a new friend in our house- Alexa (Amazon Echo).  Still getting used to her.   Anyone else have this thing?

We've had Alexa with us for most of her lifetime. Had several occasions when she would respond to commercials on TV for the Echo which was amusing at first, but made us realize that she is always listening and reporting back to Amazon. Now DW keeps Alexa unplugged unless we are wanting to get her to play some music or answer routine questions such as what time do the Saints play on Sunday. Not sure whether Alexa doesn't understand my British accent or the way I phrase questions, but I can rarely get a sensible answer.

No run this morning - rule #1 applied.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Tramps

KSA--be aware of security issues with smart speakers "always listening."  Just as people can use malware to turn on your computer's camera and spy on you, there are incidents of smart speakers being hacked. (Echo, too.)   The biggest danger is that once they gain access to your smart speaker, hackers can likely access your wifi network and computers, too.  Also, you may want to monitor the voice data Google/Amazon collects.  No need to be paranoid about it but basic security is always a good idea. For starters, if you're not using it, turn it off.

Be safe. Be kind.

TammyinGP

Good Morning.

Back to work today - but only today in one of my offices and tomorrow in the other and then I'm off again until 1/2/18.  And since most of the attorneys I work for were also taking extra days off, I didn't get any new work while I was off for the last 5 days, so I don't have much to do anyways. 

The ability for hackers to get into an Amazon Echo type device is one of the reasons we don't have the desire for such technology in our home.  It's just a little too "big brother-ish" for my comfort. Just like we don't have the desire for our house to be security-monitored by our phones, etc.  Perhaps I'm paranoid. Or old school. 

Saw Star Wars last night.  My husband and I enjoyed it. It was my son's second time seeing it and he loved it just as much this time as the first. My dad didn't care for it though.

I need a 2018 running journal. maybe I'll go to Barnes & Noble today since I'm not busy in the office.

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning everybody!

Yeah...we have on of those speakers, too.  Debbie yells at her all day.

TW--I almost choked on my waffles when I read your post.  I should know better, by now, and just expect one last zinger at the end.

You wash your running clothes after every run?  I go for about a week wearing the same stuff...I figure I'm going to be stinking in a couple miles, anyway.

It was 13 below when I headed out the door, this morning.  Luckily, there was no wind.  I had to do 9 miles at tempo pace and facing the cold was easier than facing the treadmill.  I will resort to the treadmill on easy days but anything I need to work hard at, I just can't do on the treadmill anymore.  With a 1 mile warm up and a 1 mile cool down, I ended up with 11 miles in, what I'm calling 1:18:15.  My stupid Garmin crapped out on me at mile 10 so I have to go on memory of what I saw at my mile splits.  For the tempos, I was shooting for 6:52 and hit, at least, half of them, but I know I had a 6:57 in there, so I'm figuring it was an average of 6:55.  Anyway--it's done. Debbie bought me a new Apple Watch Nike 3 for Christmas so, as soon as I figure out how to use it, I'm dumping that stupid Garmin!

Speaking of Christmas gifts--Mikey bought me a pair of Swix mittens and I wore them, today.  They are the best cold weather hand wear I've ever worn.  My finger tips still got cold and I had to put my thumb in with the fingers but I could always make a fist and get everything warm.

Okay--I'd better get going.  I have to pick up Eric and take him to court.  It's a long story and more family drama than, I'm sure, you want to hear about.  It's a good thing I took a couple of vacation days.  See ya!

Thanks for the heads up.  i do legal work in the IT security area, so I will keep an eye on Ms. Alexa.  My husband is very tight with our home IT security, too, but we'll have a talk about Alexa.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Hey friends!!

1.0 easy mile on a friend's treadmill yesterday just to in the challenge -- I figured I already paid the price with this fall so why back out now!!

1.2 easy mile on the treadmill at the gym today -- then did 20 min on the stair mill. Took it easy because I know these stitches need healing time, but need to be doing something other than eating!!

Jay -- do you wear nordic grips or yak traks or something like that for these winter miles? I remember one winter I tried the yak traks but felt they were causing back issues, maybe it was just a bad back year. I do have the nordic grips which are like a rubber band that goes over the top of the sneaker and has 2 screw-like grip things on the bottom.

Anyone else use something for winter running? I love being outside running but am now obviously terrified!! Just can't spend the whole winter in the gym either tho.

Going to see Justin this afternoon -- hope it goes well. He sounds better on the phone anyway. I am going to find out if he remembers calling Christmas Eve and all the vile things he said to his dad. We know it's the illness, but we are still struggling with it.

KSA - hope your son has safe travels!!

Quickadder - continued prayers for your dw!!

metalman - dementia sucks!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

metalman--your Dad may not remember that day but you will.

+1

Quickadder - Glad your DW is better than thought, and I hope she can come home today.

Oops, got the call to go pick of DH from his surgery.  More later....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

I got an Alexa a year ago for my birthday (not that I asked for it). Don't use it for much more than playing music except when my granddaughter visits and then we try to ask it whatever we can think of. Over the course of a year it has caught something off the TV 2-3 times and said "It didn't understand".

We live a very calm and boring life. If big brother or Amazon wants to listen to our TV shows or us asking each other what we want for dinner then that's fine with me.  But seriously though, Alexa has an "activation word" which the default is "Alexa" and it listens for that locally. Nothing is recorded until that word is said. We don't have door locks or other things connected to Alexa so there is nothing to worry about security wise.

Tramps

I think I've posted this here before, but the Amazon Echo Silver is great. 

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

I think I've posted this here before, but the Amazon Echo Silver is great. 

That is great.