Masters Running

Happy Weds Runs - Workouts - and Friends (Read 588 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning, and what a beautiful morning it is...you know why (insert your own why here) Mine, because I am blessed with running - have great friends here at RA - have a good job that provides for my needs - I have a good boss who supports me and my decisions - I have 3 beautiful children that I love deeply (wish I could see them more often) - I have my health - I have a good sense of humor - I have a soft sensitive side - I cry over sad things - I cry with other's joy - I feel for people that are struggling right now - I think about all the people that are hurting in our world - I think about the one's that are injured right now and want to run, but can't - I think about how Blessed Tom was meeting Donna (Tom, keep sharing....we all care friend) - My run really doesn't matter....people do! But this is a running forum - 7 easy miles last night - 1:02:02 - 8:52 ave pace - my legs were finally tired from my last weekend 30 miles....but felt good regardless Smile I have this good guy at work that is down on his luck....so to speak. He wears these worn out shoes that I notice from time to time. He is always curious about my running and asks questions almost everyday. He told me Monday....I wish I had shoes to wear like yours. I told him to take off one of his shoes so I could compare his to mine....a perfect fit. I went home and found the best running shoes I could find in my closet and gave them a good bath. I brought them into work yesterday and gave them to him and he was speechless. I have to admit to shedding a few tears as someone would be grateful for my running shoes with at least 400 to 500 miles on them....but still look like new. I must have a good running gait to have the bottoms looking like new. Now...what are you happy and grateful about today??? I forgot to mention my date last Sat night with a gal named Jodi. She is a pretty sweetie that is mixed up right now, but we had a good time having Dinner and watching the Nascar race Sat night ( she loves Nascar and Tony Stewart, and I wanted to do something that would make her happy) I opened the car door for her - always talked about her and not about myself - and treated her like a Queen...that's what real men are suppose to do, right (she said wow, I am not used to that) I thought to myself....why not! And what was neat, as she was also very interested with my running and she asked a lot of inquisitive questions about my running and training. She doesn't run, but she works out at the Y 5 -6 times a week. We will only be just friends, because she has a lot of issues she is dealing with, having been with some really bad men in her life....very sad the scars that leaves. I really appreciate all of you here at RA. And I want you to know I am a talker - a animated guy - who brings up subjects because I am excited about running, and what is going on "in your life too" Bill, thanks....you are a great guy! Cool, track workout tonight Big grin. ...think I will switch to 1000 meters now Did I mention I talk a lot Roll eyes Seattle here I come and look forward to meeting friends.. what race Smile TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Top 'O the World!

Good Morning Tim! Smile Very nice opening....will need to ponder all that for about 3 seconds Wink......Where IS everybody this am?? .....on my way out for an easy 3 w/my 4 legged running partner...we have a light group run scheduled for later this afternoon & I wanted to get a few more than that in today...
      Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
      Slo

Mornin Timbo And good day to everyone else that stops by. I'll get to my thankful and blessed part later today.......Maybe I needed that earlier this morning.......geez talk about a hetic morning Confused A good run last night.....6.9, 8:27 pace, lots of hills. An energy charged swim this morning. Took the wetsuit out of the closet and trained in that. Swimming in a wet suit is an odd feeling. Your more bouyant and sit higher in the water so i wanted to get that out of the way before our Tri on Sat. Bill........ My new Avatar......just for you. Quite Possibly my favorite chord......Sound wise that is. I love suspeneded chords and finding different ways to resolve them to thier majors or minors......this one is just so crisp. Great Runs and be Thankful

Hill Runner

Good morning everyone, ...Just checkin' in here this morning. My workouts this week have consisted of sleeping in, eating chocolate & chips, going to bed late and generally being bad. I WILL get back on track again as soon as I get sick of this.....Big grin Good running everyone!

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
          Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
          Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Slo-Hand, thanks for the avatar! I'm loving those "7th" chords and the suspended ones as well. They're fun to sing too. I was never taught "Music Theory" when I was young, but I can see I have an interest in learning some of it. (My techie nerd side coming out again.) Odd you should do this today. I was searching all over the Internet last evening looking for an A7sus chord. Never found that exact chord - the closest I found was A7sus4 which I do not know is the same or not. A question for my guitar instructor this evening ... Tim, keep in touch with Jodi and be friends and be yourself. She likely needs to "get used to" a nice guy - which you clearly are. My plan really does not address whether I should be tapering the cross-training workouts or not. I thought about it and decided since I'm tapering my running, I'll taper my cross-training also. So 1250 meters swimming this morning, where I had been doing 1600m each week. Gotta try to keep calm. Getting anxious ... Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

6.3 easy-paced miles for me today in 55 degrees. I was stretching after my run and DS came up and handed me a paper. “Here’s my interim grades, Mom,” he said. Then, almost like an afterthought, “and this is about the school dance,” he said, handing me another paper. (school dance?) (in the 6th grade?) “Oh, and I asked Jillian xxxxxxx, and she said she’d go with me," he said casually. (Jillian?) (Who’s Jillian?) (My son asked a girl to a dance?) (sigh) I guess my little boy is growing up..... Undecided (sniff, sniff)

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

Slo-Hand, thanks for the avatar! I'm loving those "7th" chords and the suspended ones as well. They're fun to sing too. I was never taught "Music Theory" when I was young, but I can see I have an interest in learning some of it. (My techie nerd side coming out again.) Odd you should do this today. I was searching all over the Internet last evening looking for an A7sus chord. Never found that exact chord - the closest I found was A7sus4 which I do not know is the same or not. A question for my guitar instructor this evening ... Tim, keep in touch with Jodi and be friends and be yourself. She likely needs to "get used to" a nice guy - which you clearly are. My plan really does not address whether I should be tapering the cross-training workouts or not. I thought about it and decided since I'm tapering my running, I'll taper my cross-training also. So 1250 meters swimming this morning, where I had been doing 1600m each week. Gotta try to keep calm. Getting anxious ... Bill
                A7sus could be either the 2nd or the 4th. Key of A notes A. B. C#. D. E. F#. G#. So your suspened notes are either B or D. I think better with a guitar in my hand but I suspect the reason you didn't find a suspended 2nd is because it would be difficult to fret the B. Generally speaking though........If the chord does not show the Suspended note and it's a pure major....E.G. "Esus" then one should assume that the author is implying the 2nd. If the 7th is added then the chord seems to sound better with the 4th suspended. I like the suspended chords. They are bright and add that anticipation. The chord has to get resolved so the listener is drawn in, waiting for that "whats coming", almost like you can't relax until the major chord is played. Ok Ok.......A running thread, I know. Big grin It's great that your learning theory.........Tomorrow we'll talk about modes. MTA: Damn it Bill........Now I got this song running thru my head. A fantastic example and usage of suspended chords. "Pinball Wizard"........It's quite possible I'll have to run home at noon and play the opening else this is going to be running thru my brain all day !
                Tramps

Karin and George (where is George?)--congrats on a game 7. We're keeping our fingers crossed for tonight. Peter that's quite a regimen you've got going there! Some core work and stretching for me today. I realized I buried this in a post mid-day yesterday but it warrants repeating: "I just got an e-mail from that non-race race and (hold on to your hats) the BAA is accepting any self-recorded, self-reported BQ time from this race." Now you know the secret to an easy BQ. Roll eyes I'm trying to set up a training plan and was re-reading Daniel's last night...well, skimming really. Good stuff but that guy needs an editor; the organization of his book is just a mess. Too bad.

Be safe. Be kind.

[sigh] -- can't wait until I have more free time to get back to guitar (and start piano and ...) Game 7, YES! MTA (several times): Tramps - I didn't understand the comment about BAA accepting your time -- didn't you run the half? Oh, maybe I didn't read it right -- it wasn't your time you were talking about, it was any time for the marathoners. Never mind... I've jumped into the middle of a Pfitzinger plan for Corning, NY (Oct 4). I'm reading Lydiard, and may incorporate some of his ideas into the plan, but that may wait until the next cycle. Also need to read Daniels... IRC this morning -- 41° so long sleeves, but still a beautiful morning 5.1 miles, 46:02, 9:02/mi, AHR 134 (69% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Tim - Awesome. on what you did for the guy at work...remember the easy runs are the most important. Take them ez and if the rest of your workouts were hard, they should feel as hard as your hard ones (that's my trick to know that my training is on track). Holly...Great about your boy asking a girl out. My oldest girl is 13 and she has a boyfriend..kind of, holding hands, kisses, etc...they are in the band together which is off to Toronto for the provincial Musicfest which my daughters school band qualified for. They leave tomorrow...luckily we have chaperones going with them...Although my daughter is very mature for her age...and makes her own decisions based on who she is. Question: For about a week and a half now my right foot (mostly on the right side of my right foot) has an ache/just does not feel right. It just appeared one day, and although I can run, it plays with my mind and my push off seems odd. I do not think it's PF but maybe a strain/hopefully not a stress fracture of some sort. I am hesitating going to a doctor as my marathon is in like 11 days. I think I will weather the storm unless it gets worst. Any advice or experience with this type of ailment? Thanks Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Tramps

Tramps - I didn't understand the comment about BAA accepting your time -- didn't you run the half? Oh, maybe I didn't read it right -- it wasn't your time you were talking about, it was any time for the marathoners.
                        The idea that the BAA wold accept self-recorded times seemed patently absurd to many of us, given their track record of rejecting a wide variety of appeals. Now though, they're accepting claims from anyone registered for the race. Hypothetically, a person could have stayed home that day due to the rainy weather and now say, "Oh yeah...I ran that race...and I BQ'd too!" Most self-respecting runners would never do that, of course, but I suspect the allure of an easy BQ will be too tempting to resist for some folks. Seems like an awful precedent to be setting too. Just my opinion.

Be safe. Be kind.

"MTA: Damn it Bill........Now I got this song [Pinball Wizard] running thru my head."
                          Oh, we can't have that now can we? Whenever "Pinball Wizard" gets stuck in my noggin, I just try to think about "Little Martha" by the Allmann Brothers. (Once of the finest acoustic pieces I can imagine) and usually that'll take the place of Pinball. You're welcome. Wink Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Holly - LOL, your son sounds like my second one, who's in 8th grade now. He started going to dances in 6th grade. He shares SOME with me, so I know who he's had crushes on. Typical - the girls he has crushes on don't "like" him that way, and at least one girl has a crush on him who HE doesn't like! He's more dramatic than I thought boys were supposed to be. He wants to go to the 8th grade dance Friday night, but it's dependent on his grades this week. It IS weird to have girls calling the house for him so much! DS16 (the runner) is so focused on his sport that he hasn't expressed much interest in girls. He was doing his 13-mile run Friday night as kids were leaving for the prom, so he saw some of his friends getting into a limo as he ran by them! Tim, you're right, it's BEAUTIFUL today! I ran 5.7 miles around Back Cove in Portland at 7 am. I did 2.3 miles by myself, then met up with my running partner to do the rest. That worked quite well - I got enough miles in, and then she and I still had a good run together. Three days of running in a row - I'm going to try to do at least a mile every day this week. Have a wonderful day!
                            Slo

Question: For about a week and a half now my right foot (mostly on the right side of my right foot) has an ache/just does not feel right. It just appeared one day, and although I can run, it plays with my mind and my push off seems odd. I do not think it's PF but maybe a strain/hopefully not a stress fracture of some sort. I am hesitating going to a doctor as my marathon is in like 11 days. I think I will weather the storm unless it gets worst. Any advice or experience with this type of ailment? Thanks Tall
                              Tall, I've had a metatarsel stress fracture and I can tell you that is NOT an ache.....I'm guessing maybe some stressed and tired soft tissue......ligament / tendon too ?
                              Slo

Oh, we can't have that now can we? Whenever "Pinball Wizard" gets stuck in my noggin, I just try to think about "Little Martha" by the Allmann Brothers. (Once of the finest acoustic pieces I can imagine) and usually that'll take the place of Pinball. You're welcome. Wink Bill
                                Nope, that didn't work. Now I have "Amiee" by Pure Prairie League replaying.........What..chya wanna do......I think.....I could stay with you......for awhile maybe longer if I do......