Masters Running

Thursday, 6.23.16 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' folks.

Nice 'feel good' run Stumpy, and good walk, Holly.

I'd be just as happy watching women's beach volleyball if they had shorts on, so I don't get the need for thongs.

Twocat, at this point in the cycle, the moon is still high in the sky well past sunrise - you just can't see it all that well because of the sunlight. But to answer your question, I was out at the usual 4am yesterday, and that is still a bit before sunrise, even at this time of the year.

Starr, good luck to you and DD on the home sales. I hope Mr. Starr did well at his cardio appointment yesterday.

Nice 10K for you, Aamos, and a good bike ride for DH.

Are you going to stick with that barber (saloon), Dave? I'm glad the new beard is coming in well.

I'm glad you, DD and the grandkids are digging the dig, Marj.

Nice 3er, Tselbes.

Good 6+ with a homecoming tailwind, Evanflein.

Good thinking to take the time to build back up to your usual running intensity, Mike. No DL for you, OK?

Great that you found a new trail, Mariposai. I also would have thought that you had already done all of them multiple times.

6.3 RW miles in refreshing 54F temps under a clear sky, with that moon still high up there, and in new Topo Tribute shoes. I'm heading out for Breakfast with the Boss, and a little later this morning I have to go with a couple of guys on a small dam inspection. I have all the fun, don't I?

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya,

Short today, 5.55--kinda my height .   Still not too toasty; we just sleep in a bit on Thursday ams.  And we're on a 3 game depression.

So far my fall marathon schedule is Air Force in Sept (get to see Holly and her squad!); Detroit (hometown) and Marines (college chum) in October, and Space Coast (across to the east coast) over T'sgiving.

I don't have one planned in December.             [I do have half marathons on the 11th and the 18th, both here in FLorida..]

The moon IS still most lovely in the ams.    And a small dam inspection sounds interesting.

Keep us posted on the Boston digs.  Just heard about this on NPR the other day:

BOSTON — A sunken, burned ship from the 1800s uncovered during a construction project in Boston's Seaport District is a rare and remarkable find, the city's archaeologist said.
      City archaeologist Joe Bagley said Thursday it's the first time a shipwreck has been found in that section of the city and only the second one found on land that was filled in to expand the city's footprint. Also, unlike most other wrecks, its cargo is mostly intact, he said.

Wonder what folks will think in 2216 when they keep unearthing cell phones??

Make it a good one!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Kind of a nothing day, . . . . . . except for finding the first juicy blackberry
        of the year I like to put in for breakfast cereal, etc.  Usually not ripe
        until mid-to-late July , . . . if they survive the unremitting onslaught
        of city eradications as a noxious invasive weed wiping out
        luscious patch after luscious local patch.
        Reminds me of a favorite summit race up there
        that featured late-season blueberries on the way up

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Amy - very cool about the shipwreck being found on land.

No run for me today, nothing, nada.  It's getting awfully easy to roll over and sleep another hour....hmmm...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I'd be just as happy watching women's beach volleyball if they had shorts on, so I don't get the need for thongs.

With no context for that comment at the moment, I think I will just walk away . . . .

Sorry I haven't been in here, folks, but I am so slammed at work it's ridiculous.  Trying to figure out how keep my head above water.

But I did post some info in the Relay thread.  Suffice to say, I had so much fun!!!!  My vanmates were Da Bomb!

I ended up with 4 legs instead of 3 because poor Liz ended up with a pretty bad hamstring injury, but I didn't mind running the extra leg.  It meant I didn't have to do any running on the way home Sunday.

Tomorrow I drive to Sacramento to pick up Kate and Karen at the airport, then we head to Auburn and will be working the river crossing for Western States.  I'm very excited.  Crewing is fun, but you don't ever get to see the front runners.  In working the crossing, we'll get to see everyone.

Kate, unfortunately, is out of running for at least a year.  Long story short, she has been ignoring an AT problem over the past 8+ months to the point they now have to do major surgery on her, including possibly breaking her heel.  No running or pushing off activity with that foot until the surgery, either, because she's in danger of having her AT rupture.   Right???  It's definitely a case of if you have a nagging issue, go get it checked out!  And for crying out loud, she's a doctor!

Anyway, she has a long road ahead of her.

Okay - As I said, I have a TON of work to get done between now and 4:15, so I'm outta herah!

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...the First Time

I saw Womens Beach VolleyBall

I couldn't believe it was a Sport,

I thought it was a Spoof of the PlayBoy Channel

.........obviously I was Mistaken, and now try to Watch It On Purpose.....

=================

...but I digress.....and my apologies for being Politically Incorrect......

(which sound like a line

from the Bolshevik Revolution)

.......spent 31/2 hours yesterday

CLEANING A KITCHEN at the PSA Student Center

besides not being able to move afterwards,

it was just NASTY

...............45-min PoolRun with Belt (back was killing me)

...........good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E

MM #5615

A shipwreck found on land?  I guess we know why it wrecked.

mrrun

A shipwreck found on land?  I guess we know why it wrecked.

non-running - an answer Mike & Amy's questions

Skanska construction workers in the Seaport District stumbled onto an unusual find in May — the remains of a shipwreck, buried beneath the ground. Skanska stopped work voluntarily for a week while archeologists examined the shipwreck, took 3D pictures, and probably removed it. They didn’t have to do this, so it was awesome they did.

Based on the ship’s nails, the vessel is from the mid-to-late 19th century. The area where the ship was found used to be called Dorchester Flats and was made up of mudflats, he said. It was filled in 1880 to create more buildable land, so the shipwreck must have occurred before then.  There was a fire aboard the ship. But whether it was set to make the wreckage smaller or was ablaze while the vessel was sinking is not known.

Possibilities:

There should be an article in a newspaper about the ship, but no information has been found yet. The ship probably came from Maine and was carrying barrels of lime, which catches on fire easily, for use in mixing concrete and paper making in Boston. The ship may have been built in the 1700’s and reconditioned as a lime carrying vessel.

We were in DC and MD during this time, so I missed the excitement. The dig and analysis were done by professional archeologists from RI

running - 5 miles of Newton hills - HHH

marj

TammyinGP

that is fascinating Marj!  Thanks for sharing that historical lesson.

I think it's even more fascinating then speculating why the women beach volleyball players wear thongs 

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

I ended up with 4 legs instead of 3

OMG!  Another one!  You must be really fast if you have 4 legs....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

t

I think it's even more fascinating then speculating why the women beach volleyball players wear thongs 

LIKE!

Nice 10, Mike.  Since I'm planning to do a 5K race on Sat., I just did 2 miles this morning.  It was in the high 50s with some wind.  My pace was 11:11.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mariposai

Be strong Holly. Hugs to you sistahh.

Jay goes out at 4am. What time does he wake up, most importantly, what time do you go to bed?

Great 10 miler, MikeE. What is your next adventure for marathon?

Just 3 miles today, running to and from my girls' boot camp. Wow, I felt so tired all day after that.

Nancy

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

Cool story about the shipwreck!

Leslie, so sorry about your friend Kate. What a bummer. Have a great time at WS at the river crossing!  What a cool place to volunteer! (literally)

TomS, I love your 11:11 pace!

I met a new friend from my ultra group today and did a 6.5 mile run up to a lake at 12,000 ft.  Nice and cool!  The lake was still mostly frozen.

I'm having relay withdrawal.  What a fun weekend!  We're already making plans to go back again next year! 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mike E

MM #5615

MikeE. What is your next adventure for marathon?

Portland!  I can't wait!

I went 7, tonight.  Then I mowed the lawn.

Debbie has been sick for the last three days--sore throat--achy--no energy...guess who started getting a sore throat and started going downhill all day, today.  The worse thing is--I can't get any sympathy because she still feels worse than I do.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!