Masters Running

Intrepid Masters Race reports for June 29 & 30 (Read 8 times)

Mariposai

Wishing the best of luck to our intrepid racers this weekend.

Go racers go!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Quickadder

Watermelon 5K, DeRidder, La. 6/29/19

In 2015 this was my first timed road race and I have returned every year since. The course is short with the GPS consensus being about 2.98 miles. Weather is normally hot, sunny and humid, but today was cooler (70F) and steady rain after a thunderstorm passed an hour earlier that left the roads very wet.

Race started promptly at 7am with around 60-70 runners. First corner had a temporary stream crossing the road so I ran wide to try keep my feet dry - I was 50% successful! One of my work colleagues was just ahead so I used him as my pacer. Around the next corner and a gentle downslope for the next 200 yards and I pass my colleague here only to be passed back just after the following upslope.

First mile completed in 8:34. A few more undulations and some puddles to negotiate before the next turn. Water station just before the turn is being ignored by everyone. As I turn I look back down the road and I have about a 40 second gap to the next runner, but even at that distance I realize it is Richard from my Saturday morning group. Richard is a couple of years older than I am, but often passes me in the latter stages of races as he typically runs negative splits.

Straight flat run almost half a mile to the next turn. I am about 15 seconds behind my colleague and still holding about 30 seconds on Richard. Second mile completed in 8:58.

Another undulating straight and I gain a little on my colleague until we get close to the second water stop. They are offering wet towels! Usually these are very popular, but not today. Perhaps the fact that my colleague’s son was helping there inspired him to pick up his pace again, but I couldn’t close any more.

Next turn and Richard has closed to about 20 seconds but not much more than a quarter mile to go. I am not going to be passed if I can help it and I squeeze what little extra pace I can muster. Final 0.98 miles in around 8:30.

Finished 25/67 overall and 2/4 in the 55-64 AG. Official time 25:57.4

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47