Masters Running

Mondaily, 5.14.18 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sunday’s workouts:
    Jlynne (4 mile morning walk)
    C-R (10.3 morning trail miles with wildlife)
    Quickadder (12.5 morning trail miles with wildlife)
    Tramps (40 mile post-rain, hot/steamy bike ride)
    Surly Bill (3.9 EZ before-noon dirt miles)
    Holly (5 miles in about 69° temps, with boatloads of varied cross-training)
    Mike (8 post-church miles)
    RunnerKSA (1 afternoon beach mile in paradise)
    Enke (40 mile bike ride with MBE)
    Falconfixer (early 5 miles with a colleague/neighbor)
    Fatozzig (EZ 6 miles on the McKay Tract)
    Evanflein (6 miles with a DH pick-up)

I hope your back tolerated yesterday’s walk and golf, Jlynne)

Good grilling, Norm.

Quickadder, I’ve stared using cedar oil as a tick/mosquito repellant. I don’t know if it works on deer flies, but check it out HERE. Safer than DEET.  (Start plug) If you buy it (or anything on Amazon, pleas use Amazon-Smile, and choose the Seabrook-Hamptons Estuary Alliance as your beneficiary (that's my non-profit, and we appreciate the support). (End plug)

Gee, thanks Tramps!

Sweet story about your daughter, Pfriese.

KSA, if you think you should stop, you don’t need a doc to tell you to do it.

Welcome back, Enke! Congrats to DS on choosing UBC. Glad to see you and Mr. BE are still riding together.

Steve - the DNR knows who the boat owner is? Are they trying to do anything to have it removed, or are they just waiting for floods to carry it out??

Yesterday DW and I got the garage put back together, then I sprayed to make our plants deer-resistant for another couple of weeks, spread a few bags of beach stones in a small drainage swale in the back yard, moved some left-over firewood from the shed to the rack in the carport for next winter, and split some newly-cut logs to start drying them in the shed. For dinner, DW and I made chicken with capers, shallot and tomatoes, and slightly-spicy roasted potatoes with Dijon mustard, horseradish sauce, garlic and some spices. Good eats.

I didn't sleep well last night, so chose an extra hour's sleep over a workout this morning. It was the right choice.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Jay—I’d never heard of Amazon-Smile.  Interesting.  Good productive day for you yesterday, too.

Enke!  Nice to hear Mr. Blue Eyes is still in the picture.

Holly—DS with a live-in GF in your basement. What could possibly go wrong? 

Odd incident on my run today.  I was slogging along my usual gravel road when I felt a sharp pain in my right heel. Figuring it was a rock, I stopped, checked it but didn’t see anything. When I got home, I looked more closely and realized a sharp, jagged, glassy rock fragment the shape of a pencil tip had pierced the sole of my shoe, the insert, and my sock, drawing blood. It then shifted and was hidden in the foam of my shoe sole.  It took a pair of needle-nose pliers to get it out. Geez.

5 miles but swamp-like conditions sucked the life out of me, too. I walked some. Humidity 1, Tramps 0.

Speaking of scores…solid goaltending, goals from six different players. Not too shabby!  Far from over but I’d rather be the Caps than the Lightning right now .

Be safe. Be kind.

5 miles but swamp-like conditions sucked the life out of me, too. I walked some. Humidity 1, Tramps 0.

...two words....ThermoTabs..............take one at supper the night before,

Since

you've lived in The South this long,

it's time we let you in on The Secret

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

1.1 miles trying to find a little flatness and not succeeding to much of a degree.  Unless a miracle happens, this is the last day of the streak.  A painful 13 minute mile is not running, in my opinion.  Time to get this thing resolved.

Now I need to get it calmed down and figure out what I can do for exercise without bothering it.  Not sure if bike or elliptical will work.  We shall see!     I’m going to enjoy the beach and scenery for now.

At just before 10 pm last night the power went out in the whole part of the island.  Remember, St. John is rebuilding from severe destruction from Hurricane Irma last fall, so everything is pretty fragile.  I had visions of days without power (means don’t use the water, either), but it came back on about 2 am.  Of course, we were all concerned about charging our devices!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

I have been informed that today is "Dance Like a Chicken Day".  I said that I for religious reasons, I don't celebrate this day.

Summer is here I guess. 4 morning miles but the temperature was nearly 70 and so was the dew point. Not complaining, just stating the facts.

Dance like a chicken?? I may have to do some mosey-in' up and down our hallway at work today. 

45 min of core/ST for me this morning.

Jay - Those potatoes sound wonderful.

So . . . . a week ago this past Sunday, a local woman was killed.  This past Friday I learned it was the mother of a former co-worker/friend of mine.  Sherrie (the mom) was helping a friend pack to move, the friend's former boyfriend showed up and tried to kidnap her at gunpoint, Sherrie stepped in between him and the friend, and the guy shot Sherrie in the head.  He then drove off and ended up taking the coward's way out and killed himself. Sherrie was just a regular person with a husband, 3 kids and 5 grandkids who lived a regular life and was known for going out her way to help people.  My heart is absolutely breaking for the family, as well as the friend who will have to live for the rest of her life knowing her friend was killed while trying to protect her.

I haven't been able to wrap my head around this.  I can't even begin to understand how it would feel to have someone ripped out of your life in such a violent and senseless manner.

Thanks for listening.  I am just so heartbroken for my friend.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Quickadder

Jay, thanks for the summary as usual. Also thanks for the link on the cedar oil, but reading the article I find "Certain large pests like horse flies seem to be less repelled by it than smaller flies" which I think covers the deer flies too. As I'm running through conifer woods, the flies are probably used to the smell of the cedar oil. Swatting seems to be more effective!

6.1 swampy miles to start the day (70F, 100% humidity). I'd never heard of ThermoTabs, tomwhite, but then I've been in Louisiana less than 20 years - they sound like crawfish boil in tablet form. Supper last night was a tray of spicy crawfish with corn, potatoes and mushrooms cooked in the pot with them - worked well for my run today.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

TammyinGP

how awful Leslie 

Another busy day here. Working all day, then off to a scholarship night for David.  He has one tonight and one Wednesday.  so no running today, but then definitely need to get in a run tomorrow since I won't be able to on Wednesday either.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie - that truly is awful....

Enke!  Nice to see you back!  And yes, DS is 21 now, just finished his junior year in college.  They grow up so quickly.

No run for me today, but about 30 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...this Random Violence is Horrible//............this is not who we are......

but

it's beginning to look like Who We're Becoming......

==========

...87-degrees, no wind

65-min HH 3-2's...........Translation- HeavyHands  3-lb trailboots- 2-lb Handweights= 10-lbs

it ain't Running,

but

it'll have to do

................Good Running to Ya........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Hi Jay.  We use amazon smile all the time, supporting the PBJsters' summer camp on Lake Winnipesaukee.

Tramps - I'd prefer to see Tampa Bay versus Winnipeg.  Most frequent flier miles series.

Leslie - such a sad story.

Hi folks.  I ran 15 yesterday, then did some mulching.  Long-suffering got steaks on the grill and homemade soft serve ice cream.  Today's plan - double spinneroonie and fizzy lifting.  Will research fall marathons this evening.

Tramps

I have been informed that today is "Dance Like a Chicken Day".  I said that I for religious reasons, I don't celebrate this day.

I suspect WV has different holidays than the rest of us.

((Leslie))  Terrible.

Tom, mixed bag.  Homicides by gun are highest on record, but overall homicide rate is relatively low, in historical terms.  I think our perception of crime is heavily skewed by the news media (which highlights it) and our easy access to information (in the pre-internet days, I would have never heard of this crime). Pretty good read on the issue.

Tramps - I'd prefer to see Tampa Bay versus Winnipeg.  Most frequent flier miles series.

Go Caps.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

I suspect WV has different holidays than the rest of us.

Howdy, PBJ!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Tramps, I agree on the instant news access. I really think it skews people's perception of life when you hear about things almost instantly that you wouldn't have knows for weeks or months pre-internet.

Leslie, so sorry to hear that, a truly awful thing to happen to anyone.

Hey PBJ! Nice to see you pop in. Not exactly fall, but some of us are running Rehoboth Beach in December...

Hey Enke! Sounds like things are going well for you. Don't be a stranger!

Rest day here, but I may get out for a walk later if it's not raining. I ran just shy of 34 miles last week. Sure will be nice to routinely be in the 40+ range with double digit long runs. It just seems like it's taking forever.

C-R

Have some time while my new crown bakes in the oven. My jaw feels like I went a round with Mike Tyson. Ah well instill managed to get 6.5 humid miles at lunch.

Leslie that is so sad and terrible. What is wrong here. Seems like our society is losing its humanity.

Glass shards? Oh my. Glad you figured it out and glad you didn't get seriously hurt. And people say running is not dangerous. Hah.

Cheers all

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/