Masters Running

Training week ending May 14-15, 2022 (Read 6 times)

Alexander R

Greetings, runners! Please tell us about your past training week and upcoming goals.

Alexander R

Mon 7.4mi (1:23)
      Tue 7.5mi (1:26)
      Wed 7.3mi (1:23)
      Thu 6.1mi (1:12)
      Fri 0
      Sat 57 miles (11:53) 3 days at the Fair 12hr
      Sun 0

Total: 86 miles

12hr race was offered every day of the week, day and night, starting at 9am/pm. I did the Saturday day option. I ran this race last year and finished with 56 miles. This year I did 57, so it is a PR, in a sense. I was 3rd all day, behind two runners who finished on Wed and on Fri, which I did not know at the time. At mile 51 I finally moved  up to the 2nd place. And in the very last mile I moved to the 1st place. However!  Next day, in the morning when I woke up, I was back to 2nd place! Someone ran the final 9pm to 9am 12hr all night, in the dark and in the heavy rain and they exactly matched my 57 mile result. However, they did it in 11hr44min, while my time was 11hr53min. First time I lost a running race while sleeping!! ;-))) timed races are fun

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Alexander  - I've seen some "X days at the fair" events listed.  Where did you run yours?  I got a laugh about losing a spot while sleeping.

My week was mostly recovery from the half on May 8.

Mon - zero

Tue - 2.1 easy

Wed - 3.5 easy

Thu - 4.6 easy

Fri - 5.2 easy

Sat - 6.2 easy

Sun - 5.8 with 7 x 400m repeats @ just over 5k pace with 400m recoveries.

Sunday's track work was the first time my son came along for some of it.  Normally, I run closer to 12 sets of 400s, but he was done at 6 (in his head) so my running partner and I ran 1 more, all out, and called it a day.  My RP had just come back from Arizona.  His last run had been in 7% relative humidity and yesterday he ran in something like 95% relative humidity - welcome back to NJ.

I'm hoping to start picking up the mileage this week, but so far I'm 0-1 in getting up for an early run.  Seasonal allergies always make me sluggish in the mornings this time of year.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
        10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Running is Back 10k, 5/12

TammyinGP

Alexander - interesting race format with getting to choose the day you run. I've never heard of this type of format. Sorry you lost your 1st place standing, and by so close!  I know that feeling when I lost out on 1st AG in my recent 50K by only 3 minutes. shoulda coulda woulda . . .

But what a phenomenal feat to accomplish 57 miles! Nice job!

Fred - nice recovery week and track workout! 

Last week was better for me after my lazy previous week:

Monday: 8.1 trail miles

Wed: 6.3 miles

Fri: 5.2 miles

Sun: 10 trail miles

TOTAL: 29.6

This week I have a trail race on Saturday - 10 miles that is usually more like 11 and has a fair amount of vert in it.

Mileage goal for the week is 30-35.

Tammy

pfriese

Hey everyone.

A little late checking in this week. Here's what I had.

M - 10.3 miles (10:12/mile)

T - 7.5 miles (9:51/mile)

W - 10.2 miles (10:10/mile)

Th - 6.3 miles (9:43/mile)

F - 7.4 miles (9:36/mile)

Sa - 5K race (24:36, 1 AG) with 1.4 mile warm up,

Su - 6.2 miles (10:02/mile)

Total - 52.4 miles

Paul

Alexander R

Fred, that "3 days at the Fair" was in in Augusta, Sussex county fairgrounds. They do this every year and they are really good at this, all details are taken care of. They have a great full kitchen open all day. I had two awesome cheeseburgers for example, freshly made right there. After the finish there was cold beer and so on.

Interesting about 7% vs 95% humidity. I'm very used to running in hot and humid weather, but it'd be interesting to try running in Arizona. I wonder if I'd be still losing a ton of water, but just not feeling it, because it's so dry.

Hi Tammy, in the end I was happy to hit 57 miles, although my ultimate goal was 62 miles, just like last year. In the last several miles I was pacing Lisa, who actually did that and she finished with 62 miles total, So when I was referring to 1st or 2nd place that was 12hr-male, the way they keep score. Not overall. Overall  12hr male and female winner was Lisa and by far. Good luck with the trail 10 miler!

Excellent week, Paul, and congratulations on the AG win!!

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Interesting about 7% vs 95% humidity. I'm very used to running in hot and humid weather, but it'd be interesting to try running in Arizona. I wonder if I'd be still losing a ton of water, but just not feeling it, because it's so dry.

Yes, you probably would be.  The real danger for east coast people like us is we don't tend to notice the water loss.  For me, the sweat on my forehead and shirt is a cue to drink more.  In the low humidity you stay dry even while sweating so there isn't that reminder to drink.  I visited Las Vegas once and got dehydrated just walking the length of the strip, and I never even felt like I broke a sweat.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Running is Back 10k, 5/12