Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 1.28.18 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Saturday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (8.1 FL miles in Hoka Areahis)
    Dave59 (3.68 headlamped miles with a threatening driver)
    Bioguy (10.2 morning Galloway-style miles)
    Tomwhite (50 min HH with hillage and a niggly knee)
    Pfriese (8 beautiful-day miles)
    Holly (4 mizzle-drizzle-rain miles)
    Spacityrunner (3 H&H miles)
    Henrun (2.7 reservoir miles with temps in the high 30s)
    C-R (10 TM miles)
    Wildchild (9.2 miles on the Chochise Trail)
    Falconfixer  (36.8 morning bike miles with a group + 7.2 afternoon running miles)
    Tet (Saturday Aquafit)
    Twocat (19.5 miles including 5 at marathon pace)

Surly Bill (7.3 miles at 8:00 pace)

Evanflein (40 min on the elliptical, leaving with a sore leg)

Tammy (14 late afternoon, pressed-for-time miles)

Dave - interesting that different state drivers have different attitudes toward pedestrians.

Hi Enke - sounds like a tough home cholesterol check.

Congrats to the kiddo, C-R.

Nice bike/run combo, Falconfixer. Nice long runs, Bioguy, Twocat,Tammy, and C-R on the TM.

Twocat, I didn't know the WSJ published recipes. I was going to subscribe online a year or two ago, but didn't like all they were asking, and how freely they'd give my info to almost anybody. So I didn't.

Tet sure has a lot of reasons for loving running so much. Hopefully everyone else does tool

I went 4 RW miles on my own yesterday morning on an indoor 12 laps to a mile track, plus 2 miles of ladders with our RW training group. In the afternoon, DW and I went for a 2.75 mi +/- walk to the ocean and back in 45° temps. This morning's RW workout was 10.45 miles in (still) 45° temps, just after the rain ended. I saw a few runners late in my workout, and even another racewalker! We're going to a Chris Botti concert and dinner with neighbors tonight. I don't know anything about him, so it'll be an interesting eye-opener.

Have a greta Sunday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Congratulations to your son, Norm!  That’s terrific!

Good Saturday running and exercise, group!

4.5 miles this morning. It was a little warmer and maybe more humid, but no complaints because the original forecast was for rain.  I think we may do a trip up to Punta Gordon today.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Henrun

2 miler this morning after the rain stopped and same temp as Jay’s. Doing a lot of house stuff this weekend and going for dinner to Marj’s DS and DIL this evening.

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning, everybody!

I suppose you all thought I jumped off a bridge after the Vikings' disaster, last Sunday...nope...I'm still here.  It was a very rough week.  One quick comment about that game though--I think too many of our locals, here, are blaming the loss on a terrible Vikings performance--well, I just think those Eagles are pretty dang good!  I will not be one bit surprised if they beat the Patriots next Sunday.  Of, course--I would never bet against Brady, either.  It should be a fun one.

Another disappointment came last Sunday when the lady, who said she would try to take Eric's dog, had to back out because her dogs would not get along with Eric's....so that chore came back onto me.

Monday, Debbie picked up Eric and took him to his treatment facility....just as a blizzard came blowing through the Twin Cities.  I made my way to Eric's house, only to be met by a scared, but very dangerous looking dog.  Luckily, it was barricaded in the kitchen and could not get to me, but there was no way I was going to be able to step into that room and feed her or let her out to go potty.  I got back in the car and made the slow drive home in the blizzard.  I wasn't sure what I was going to do.  I had promised Eric that I would take care of his dog and the only thing I could think of doing was call animal control and have them take it out of there for me.  But, for some reason, Eric had given Debbie the only key to the back door, which let to the kitchen so, the next day, I went to the back door, opened it very carefully and stood behind it as I called the dog. She went out--I went in and took care of business.  And that's the way it has been going all week.  She hasn't growled or snarled at me once since that first day.  So--that seems to be working okay.

On Wednesday--I got sicker than I have been in a very long time.  There was no way I could take off work after only being there a week so I, somehow, managed to get through the last 3 days of the week but would come home and go straight to bed.  No running--just straight to bed.  I would lie in bed and shiver while I sweat buckets.  Debbie had to change the sheets every day. 

Today, I'm still hacking up crud--but I managed to get in 6 miles.  If I hadn't just booked my flight to Hilton Head, I would blow off that marathon in two weeks and set my sights for something further down the road.  Too late, now.  I'll do the best I can.

Okay--gotta go to church!  Se ya.

Sorry about your rough week, Mike.  I’m glad the dog and you have found a system that works.  I hope you feel better!

spacityrunner

5.5 miles on Hot Springs Mountain early this morning in below freezing (30f) weather.  My what a difference a day makes   Saw lots of deer out this morning.  It always fun to run the trails!

Trails Rock!

Quickadder

My usual Saturday morning group run was postponed to this morning due to thunderstorms yesterday. I’m still not 100% recovered from my cold/flu so was not sure what I would manage. Finished with just 12 miles at 10:09 average pace, but happy with that. Low 60s and humid with a threat of mizzle didn’t help.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Dave59

As I was sitting in church this morning, my mind wandered to running. I didn't originally plan to run today, but as I sat in church, I thought about going to the park and doing some loops on the .65 mile loop around the pond. I decided to alternate hard and easy loops. I decided to wear my Brooks Pureflow shoes that I almost never wear. I was going to go with shorts and a long sleeve, but light shirt. I even thought about taking some coffee along and sitting at the park after my run and enjoying a post run relaxing drink.

Now I am home, and I decided not to run after all. That was a lot of wasted day dreaming time.

Marathon Maniac #957

Mike - bummer that your week was so rough.  I hope this one is better.

Dave - but is day-dreaming time ever really a waste?

31 degrees when I headed out for my LR.  The rain had turned to a dense fog overnight and it was still misty when I set out.  The mist and falling overnight temps had put a very light but very slippery layer on the road and sidewalks, so my running was fairly gingerly for the first hour until the sun was higher and the temperature got up to the mid-30's.  After a couple of weeks of low mileage, today's run felt harder than it should have - as if I had lost all my running fitness and was starting over.  Oh well, got 'er done.

12.3 miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

But what was the sermon about??

4 miles yesterday and 4.5 ( that was supposed to be 6) today. Neither very fast, but at least a tiny bit further than lake loops.

Mike—sorry about your crud. Glad it seems to be going away. Also glad you’ve reached detente with Eric’s dog. Hope something beyond that is possible—not doggo’s fault he’s stuck there.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

C-R

Hope your week is better than last one Mike.

The weather is superb today so I met up with a couple of ultra types and ran 17.6 with them while they continued on for their 26.

Now to to put up a new garage door opener.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

...mikeE//.....watch out for that dog............I'm guessing it isn't named ''Fluffy"

also

bring food you can throw into the corner of the room..

...........you might want to get some ''Halt'',

doesn't hurt the dog, just makes them Remember The Experience

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Surly Bill nice pace yesterday!

evanflein that is one tough elliptical workout you do.

tetsujin209 I suspect that if your feet can run a marathon barefoot guns are completely unnecessary.

TammyinGP so was the movie worth a lost mile?

coastwalker I never heard of Chris Botti either. What kind of music?

RunnerKSA funny, the forecast here was nearly the opposite and was just as wrong. Rain was supposed to end early and did not.

Henrun I hope they are good cooks.

Mike E boy do I hope things turn around for you. I suspect relations with the dog will improve if you are the one feeding her.

Dave59 pretty funny!  Next time you might daydream about winning the Barkley Marathons while you are at it.

spacityrunner hot and humid to 30 is some swing.

Quickadder running with the threat of rain is not a rule violation. So you deserved a better feeling run. The universe owes you. 

Holly S. it will come back. Just do not slip and hurt yourself getting there!

stumpy77 you know if you keep this up you should run on a relay team this September. Just saying.

C-R good luck with the garage door. I sure cannot put up a garage opener myself.

Did an hour on the elliptical today. Then fed birds. DW feels bad for them this time of year so she sends me off to fill the bird feeders.  I also put together a training plan for my final few weeks before the Mesa AZ marathon on February 24. Tonight's dinner is a pretty easy and fast chicken dish called Grand Marnier Chicken. A better name would be orange chicken. Whatever it is really good. If you make it add the zest from the orange before putting it in the oven. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/72167/grand-marnier-chicken/.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

pfriese

Another beautiful day for a run here; I ran 14 miles around the largest city lake.

Paul

During my 10 years as a lawyer for a garage door and opener company we referred to do it yourselfers as “plaintiffs”.