Masters Running

Maintenance mode... (Read 296 times)

Renee the dog

Everyone, Looking for opinions. As the weather gets cold here at the coast, and I have no races on the schedule 'till March, I'm trying to put together a maintenance schedule. I'm thinking about running 7 mi every other day (so 7 days out of 14) for awhile. Why 7? Well, I like running a mid-distance -- why get all bundled up to just go 3-4 mi? Kinda irks me in the winter. Also, 7 seems so good for me right now -- not too long, takes under 1:10...and I get to go a lot of different places around the island doing 7. I also seem to drop a few (3-4) lbs. when I keep running the exact same mileage over and over. So, what is your opinion of a maintenance plan that would be 7 mi every other day for mileage totals of 21/28 every other week? Thanks!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

That's so funny - that's what I was thinking about doing! I did 7.1 miles today and it felt great. I agree, it's a good distance. It will be interesting to see what people think about your plan.
        nono, 7 miles every other day is a good maintenance plan. 7 miles three times a week might be even better, in that it allows more flexibility for scheduling your runs, in case you are too busy to run once in a while or just don't get to it that day for whatever reason. For example, you might plan to run MWF, but if you miss your Wednesday run, you could easily modify your week to MThSa. Then you could pick up your regular MWF schedule again the next week. Three days a week is also good if you plan to do one long run a week. That way you could get two full days off after your long run, while maintaining a regular weekly schedule. For example, you might plan to run TuThSa with your long run on Saturday. After Saturday's long run, you get two full days off before running again on Tuesday. I think Galloway recommends three runs a week for injury-prone runners. Dark Horse
        I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

#artbydmcbride

I think 8 miles every other day would be better. Big grin

Runners run

Renee the dog

I think 8 miles every other day would be better. Big grin
            Ahhhh, you know me all too well!

Renee the dog

nono, 7 miles every other day is a good maintenance plan. 7 miles three times a week might be even better, in that it allows more flexibility for scheduling your runs, in case you are too busy to run once in a while or just don't get to it that day for whatever reason. For example, you might plan to run MWF, but if you miss your Wednesday run, you could easily modify your week to MThSa. Then you could pick up your regular MWF schedule again the next week. Three days a week is also good if you plan to do one long run a week. That way you could get two full days off after your long run, while maintaining a regular weekly schedule. For example, you might plan to run TuThSa with your long run on Saturday. After Saturday's long run, you get two full days off before running again on Tuesday. I think Galloway recommends three runs a week for injury-prone runners. Dark Horse
              OK -- first -- I'm injury-prone but in LIFE! I've only had 1-3 running injuries, depending on how you count. All my other B.S. injuries get in the way of my running. Big grin Wink Everything else, I'm cool with -- I find if I run less than 7 out of 14, I'm kind of sluggish...I really need to be out there...but as you point out, flexibility is key, esp. with my husband's travel schedule and my babysitter's social life! I would like to have my mileage up a bit more, which is why I'm thinking 4 days one week (to edge towards 30 mpw), 3 the next. (Ideally every-other, but ha ha, not always possible). I guess my ultimate maintenance goal would be to progress to 3 10 milers a week. You can really see some things around here if you are willing to run 10 miles. Cool

I guess my ultimate maintenance goal would be to progress to 3 10 milers a week.
                nono, I did three 10-milers a week for about three months in the winter of 2006-2007. But doing three long runs a week--and 10 miles is a very long run for me--kept me on the very edge of injury. One day when I tried to run a mile or two farther, I did get injured. I had to stop serious running for a month or so, and then, despite all indicators pointing to red, I ran my first and only marathon, and have been in iffy running health ever since. I think under-doing is always preferable to overdoing, because if you under-do, at least you can get yourself to the starting line healthy. But it's always hard to know where the line is between under-doing and overdoing. We all would like to make progress. Here on RA we are surrounded by people who are doing big things, and the spirit of emulation tempts us to do more than our bodies can handle. Dark Horse

Prince of Fatness

So, what is your opinion of a maintenance plan that would be 7 mi every other day for mileage totals of 21/28 every other week?
                  I don't see any harm in it. It sounds like you're motivated to do it, which definitely helps in the wintertime when getting out the door can be tough. One thing I see that may throw a wrench in this is the weather. I'm not sure exactly where in Jersey you are. I am up in Warren County, and I find that I have to be very flexible with my running schedule in the winter because of the weather. It may not work out that you can run every other day. Good luck!

Not at it at all. 

I tend to think varying your distances helps with your fitness. I have absolutely no good reason to believe this other than nearly every race training plan has that as an element. Also, with a variety of distances you can rearrange your schedule depending on the week's forecast. If it is going to be particularly cold run a short route, and if unseasonably nice a long one. But, I suspect that in the end your plan is just as good as this one would be.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

I tend to agree with Twocat. Here's why: 1) running shorter one day a week will allow you to: a) run that one a bit faster; b) plan that one for a day when the weather is especially cold or you just don't feel up to 7. You'll be more likely to get it in if you just have to do 3 and not 7. 2) running one longer one a week makes it possible for you opt to do a half-marathon without a lot of pre-planning. Just keeping that option open allows you to dream a little when you listen to others/read about races. You never know, you could be checking out "last minute deals" on travelocity and find a bargain in January to Florida or somewhere warm where there's a race! So, I'd do one to two 7milers, and then one 10 and one 3-4. grins, A
                      Masters 2000 miles
                        I just want to point out that running shorter or longer doesn't necessarily have anything to do with speed. If you want to run 7 miles every time out, you can get your variety by running faster or slower on different days, depending on how you feel, your goals, the weather, the time you have available, etc. You can also run different routes for variety. When I was doing three 10 milers a week, some days I ran 9:00 mile pace. Other days I ran in the low to mid 7's. Same distance, but different workout. Dark Horse