Masters Running

The Ides of April Saturday Daily, 4.15.17 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Friday’s freakily-fine workouts:

RunnerKSA (2.3 easy, race-prep miles)

Tramps (6 morning trail miles)

BerthaSlayer (8 miles with 6 at GMP, or close enough)

Catwhoorg (6.5 lunchtime miles, plus 28 biking miles post-work)

Pfriese (EZ 6 morning miles around the park)

Dave (2.78 miles snuck in before the sun got too high)

Tet (5 ultra-pace miles with yellow, gold, ink, purple, red, rose and other color combinations of tulips along the way)

Holly (7 miles in 49-51° temps)

Henrun (2.7 morning miles with increasing speed)

Mike (10 just-in-time miles, beating the rain to the house)

Rochrunner (25 miles on the new bike)

Twocat (5 sleep-deprived miles with the Training Partner)

Welcome back, again, C-R. Did you get in a streak-preserving run yesterday?

RunnerKSA, Hatfield & McCoy sounds like a race where survival is a good goal.

Good call, Tramps. We just toss out terms like CoolRunning, and assume everyone knows what we’re talking about. Using too much jargon anywhere leaves some people out of the conversation, so I always try to be careful to not use it, or to explain it as I go.

Fatozzig, 5 cats on the bed at one time is a bedful!  Last night we had cat on bed. We only have one, but at about 10 lbs, she makes her presence known. Congrats on sitting in your office chair - good progress!

Dave, don’t blame yourself because someone else didn’t catch an issue they should have caught. Stay on top of that termite issue (if that is what they are) - nasty little buggers!

Tet, as Henrun said, there are 18 miles of coast in NH, and Rt. 1A goes just about the whole way, and has wide shoulders most of the way, making it idea for runner, bikers, and even racewalkers. Part of our half marathon course goes along the coast, and it’s a great stretch.

Holly, excellent job of negotiating your way to Steamtown! I sure wouldn’t want to go up against you in any negotiation.

Good for you and your boss agreeing on you taking some time off, Mike.

Rochrunner, I’m glad our Robin is so much nicer than the one that is being a pest at your house.

Welcome back, Twocat, even if you did have a rude awakening.

7.3 uneventful RW miles this morning in 34° temps. My left ankle went a little squishy for about a quarter mile early on, but then agreed to behave for the rest of the way. Our niece is here for a visit, and we’re going to the favorite dive for breakfast, and she and DW are ready, so I’m outta here!

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - enjoy your breakfast!

Yup. I took the plunge and registered for Steamtown.  That is about an 8-hour drive for us, so a long time on the road, which will be hard on DH's back, but I don't mind driving.  Any other comers?  Erika, we should look into a house rental for the weekend.

No slipper is safe from Rosie - she captures them and drags them off to her lair under the bed...

4.1 miles for me today in 63 degrees, plus some light weights and core.

DD has lacrosse games at 1:30 and 3pm, so I'm off to get some errands done before the games.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Morning everyone.

Nice recap as always Jay and glad your ankle behaved. Enjoy the time with you niece.

Got 8 in this morning and now off to referee soccer for the next 6 hours. Heh. The streak is still in tact and at 106. It helps making it a minimum of 1 mile to count.

Big news - DD was accepted to Purdue yesterday. Animal Sciences school. She was so happy and we are so proud of her. Now come the bills.

Holly - sorry to hear about the $ stuff and I think you're idea of a "fun" account makes sense. We have one for sports fees. I put all my refereeing money into that account and it pays for wrestling, track, XC, martial arts (DD) and some race entries for me. Finding a balance is hard but you have to have some hobbies. We work to live not live to work (although lately with all my travels I'm beginning to wonder).

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Tramps

Thanks, Jay.

Dave-- nice to have another Caps fan, even if it's your backup. My general rooting ranking is: 1) Caps, 2) Bruins (my team growing up), 3) any Canadian team (really, they need a cup), 4) whoever the underdog is.

Erika and Holly, FWIW, I was seriously considering it but I'm out of Steamtown. I need to get this knee issue resolved before I start jumping into two Fall marathons.

Doug--sadly, we get the suicidal birds from time to time, too. Sometimes the very loud thump from them plowing into the window is startling.  But we haven't had the repeat attacker that you're describing.

A short EZ 4-miler this overcast morning, followed by a trip to do groceries, expecting a pre-Easter madhouse,  I was pleasantly surprised to find the place was almost empty. Sweet.

Be safe. Be kind.

...mornin'.....

40-min PoolRun with lettes

,,,,,,,,,,,,,off to Knoxville til Tuesday,

try to stay on track.......

.........Happy Easter to Ya..

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E

MM #5615

Dave-- nice to have another Caps fan, even if it's your backup. My general rooting ranking is: 1) Caps, 2) Bruins (my team growing up), 3) any Canadian team (really, they need a cup), 4) whoever the underdog is.

Sadly...I root for the Wild...and every team from Minnesota...please pray for me...

I was right about wearing out my legs on the bike yesterday, but I got a fairly decent four miles in this morning just after the rain moved out. I ran in shorts and short sleeves, which was cool to start out, but warmed up by the end as it's going toward the high 70s this afternoon.

Will be checking back in later this weekend to read the expected RRs!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Welcome to Saturday, folks -

CR - Congrats to your daughter.  Have fun with the bills . . . 

About 40 min of core/ST this morning and now ice, ice, baby!  Trying to not be stupid . . .

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

spacityrunner

6.2 hot and sweaty early morning (for me) run.  7:30 a.m.  who the heck runs at that hour   But my running group came out to the village to run the trails here, and given that I am only 10 minutes away, I just had to join them!  I managed a nice 12:38 m/m despite the plethora of hills I was subject to and massive humidity I had to endure   Now home resting, catching up on my coffee drinking and daydreaming.  I can see I will get nothing done today 

Trails Rock!

C-R   Congrats on Purdue, although as an IU grad, I wouldn't support that except for the particular major.  Smile

15K race plus 1.1 mile warm up done.  Won my age group and company pres broke 20 in the 5K  (age 49) in his first race in 8 years.  It was really tough (hot) and I'll do a race report when we have the race report thread.  Glad it's over.   My daughter, kmays here on RA, had a big 5K PR with 24:34.   Corporate teams were 1st in 5K and 3rd in 15K.  Not a bad showing.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

dg.

so, one problem with this is that you all have too many interesting things to say.

just have time to slip in so I can make Jay's stupendous start tomorrow...   7 sucky serpentine sloping miles.     I wanted to stop before I got to one mile, dunno exactly why.  nevertheless....

have a great day!

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

22 miles for me today in just shy of 5 hours. Now I finally get my cutback weeks. Two of them.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

pfriese

Afternoon all.

Remember the Ten 5K race this morning in 22:42, good for 1AG. With 4 mile warm up & 3 mile cool down, I ran a little over 10 miles total. Time for a nap, then a wedding to attend, & then I'll write up an RR for mariposai's RR Thread.

Paul

mrrun

Ran the local 2.5 no fee race with popsicles at the finish.  Did ok, while Henrun walked the distance and cheered me on.  This was followed by a vino run and a drive to see the finish line - thousands of skinny runners wearing a really nice jacket - i'm jealous since last years' was so ugly.

C-R congrats on your daughter and congrats to all you speedy racers, to those with long walks and runs - on land and in the water

have fun in steamtown - too bad they only have a marathon...

marj

Holly S. it dawned on me that naming your new dog Rosie might be an omen. I checked this book of mine with a triangle and a pentagram on it and right after the rules of running thing there is a section on dog names. There it says, when the marathon runner who goes by Holly S. names her dog Rosie she will either run with the Rosie Ruiz Fan Club in the September Reach the Beach Relay or the world will end. Yep, right in the book! See you either have to join this fall's Rosie Ruiz Fan Club's Reach the Beach team or we all die. Truly. You would not want something like that on your conscience would you?

Let me see running. Oh yes, running. I managed to go 16 today with 7 at marathon pace. Then spent the rest of the day struggling to not take a nap. Lately naps equal 2am wake ups with 2 hours to fall back to sleep. On the plus side, I smoked two pounds of salmon set up some ribs in dry rub to go with the brisket that I am smoking tomorrow. Then of course I dug out that book with the triangle and pentagram on it. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/