Masters Running

Tuesday, 1.17.17 (Read 42 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Good 5.6 miles + core work in 'reasonable' conditions, Jlynne.

Lotsa football 'blahs' yesterday.

Nice 'just a couple of laps,' Holly. I hope you stayed awake afterwards through the team meeting. I'm sure I would have dozed...

Good longest walk so far, Henry!

Good job on the 2-miler toward the streak, Lori. You'll be hitting a streak mileage PR today, and a days PR tomorrow.

Congrats on signing up for the Mt. Hood 50K, Leslie. I hope the lottery works in your favor.

Nice EZ-PZ recovery 6er, Catwhoorg.

Good patient 4.5 miler, C-R. I'm glad you are coming along. Have fun on the trails if you get out there today.

Good 5er in nice weather, Stumpy. It's good to stretch the legs beyond your usual 3.1 every once in a while.

Welcome back, Dave, and congrats on sticking to your training plans for the half. Congrats on finishing the 4-month project. I would have bought you all a pizza. What would happen if you took the crew out for pizza and charged it to the company?

Enke, I think a one-day coyote streak is a day too long - Yikes! I'm glad your yelling got the dog involved to help scare your new friend away. Regarding your other, more boring streak; it is your streak, so you make the rules about what counts and what doesn't. If it helps, my streak is nothing but walking...

Nice 11 in the desert in shorts/singlet, WC.

Good 40/40 on the greenway and in the pool, TW.

Good almost 6er on the TM to start your week, Flats.

Good return to some speed work, Mike. You're doing a nice job of pacing your return to racing form.

Nice 6.3 on the TM while the shanks simmered, Evanflein. Thanks for clarifying that the potatoes were in the garage and that you weren't out there digging them up through the snow and frozen tundra! Scary when you can't tell where the edge of the road is.

Nice 6.5 for you too, Tammy.

So, your opinion (however right it may have been) wasn't appreciated, eh Steve? Yep - deep breaths.  Nice 3WP (with pooch).

I woke up early this morning, thought I might sleep in and just do a short workout, and then got up about 10 minutes later and went out for 7.2 miles in 30F temps with a westerly wind. I have PT this morning, and I'm going to make it my last session - I don't think it is doing all that much for me. Tonight, DW and I are going to see Pat Metheny at the local Music Hall. We've been listening to him for decades, so it'll be fun to see him play in person. Getting up on time tomorrow could be a challenge.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks for the usual summary and start. Jay.

Enke, whoa!! That would put me off being outside for a while! And did anyone catch the bit on the evening news yesterday about that humongous alligator walking across the path in front of those walkers? Jurassic Park ain't in it!

I wasn't planning on running outside today anyway since I  have my tax class to attend, but stepping outside onto my driveway would have put and end to that idea in any case. Our driveway slopes down just a bit and was a solid sheet of ice. I got some ice melter and stepped out onto it intending to spread some to get the melt going, only to find that I couldn't get back to the garage! We're talking about being three feet from the garage entrance and unable to get back up the slight slope. I actually considered getting on hands and knees, but it was also raining and very wet. I finally managed to work over to the edge so I could get onto the landscaping and get back in. Whew! In any case, my class is postponed by a couple of hours due to the conditions (should be in the 40s by afternoon).

I will say that these classes have really helped to wake up my brain, which had been going into a sort of retirement mode lately, especially since I stopped writing code for my Android apps for now.

And now I hope that the rest of you are waking up to better running conditions to what I'm seeing out there about now!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Jay - cougar, not coyote!

Steve - I can totally understand your frustration there with the SIL

Yup, my streak has officially ended.  I was still feeling shaken up yesterday, and wanted to take a mental health day - doing not much.  I am kind of mad at myself for not dealing with the raccoons, which is probably the only reason the cougar came by.  They have been there for years, if not decades, under the deck, except two years go when 2 cougars came through the area, they disappeared or got eaten, but have been back lately.  So I might  have to tear up the deck and just put patio stone down to really get rid of them.  So Blue Monday is kind of appropriate, and Dave, yes, I think several people feel that way, especially this time of year.

Hopefully I will get out to run today - it will be in the 40s and raining hard, but a nice change from the high twenties.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Dave59

Seeing a cougar up close without a cage to separate you from it must be a wild experience.

We have one car in the shop and Cindy has the other one so I don't know if I'll make it to the gym or not today.  By the time I have access to transportation I am pretty sure my motivation will be gone. But who knows, if it gets me out from in front of my computer for an hour it would be worth it to at least go through the motions.

61.7° outside. Ski resorts in WV could use some colder weather.

mta: Cindy came home and the car was ready, so after picking it up I went to the gym. (It is now 66.7°. What in the world am I doing sitting at my desk writing computer code!)

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Quick post to say I have been reading, but no time to shout out - just know I cherish you all.

5.2 miles for me on the TM today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

Hi All!

just a quick post to check in. no running for me today. working all day, then board meeting tonight. and I barely slept last night thinking of some of the topics I need to bring up at the board meeting tonight, so I'm sure I'll just collapse when I get home. Hopefully I'll collapse in bed though.

Have a good day!

Tammy

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I too love the recaps that are posted.

Well today's 8 long hill loops turned into one precarious mile at the hill due to ice and 5 tm miles. This weather is frustrating to say the least. I mean, I wanted to do those loops as per the coach's plan. I mean, I hired a coach so I would no longer wing my training and here I am having to make game day changes each day due to weather. I matched my longest to date streak of 23 days today and am undecided how long it will continue.  At least until Friday though (because my plan while allowing for my mini streak--1mile--typically has Mondays and Fridays as rest days). One mile though only takes less than 13 minutes so it hasn't been too difficult so far but we shall see.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

catwhoorg

Labrat

Usual lunchtime 6 for me.

Was supposed to have a teacher conference this afternoon for DD, but the teacher is sick, so its being re-arranged.

Which means on a perfect day for riding, I didn't bring my bike.

grrr

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

I wasn't planning on running outside today anyway since I  have my tax class to attend, but stepping outside onto my driveway would have put and end to that idea in any case. Our driveway slopes down just a bit and was a solid sheet of ice. I got some ice melter and stepped out onto it intending to spread some to get the melt going, only to find that I couldn't get back to the garage! We're talking about being three feet from the garage entrance and unable to get back up the slight slope. I actually considered getting on hands and knees, but it was also raining and very wet. I finally managed to work over to the edge so I could get onto the landscaping and get back in. to the conditions (should be in the 40s by afternoon).

Same here this morning Roch. I was dressed and ready to head to the Y for 5:00 AM but had the good sense to turn on local weather first. Schools cancelled, Y postponed its opening for 2 hours, and a strict warning from DH that if I got stuck in a ditch, I'd better figure out a way to get out since I wasn't using a lot of common sense. Oh well, I'll just go downstairs and run on the treadmill I have here. Oh wait. I don't have a treadmill. And after putting on YaxTrax and heading outside, I decided that even that wasn't a good idea. DH almost landed on his keester just trying to walk out to get the morning paper. So more jumping rope for 20 minutes (I work my weights and core stuff in between like 5 minute sets) and core stuff with the Bosu and stability balls.

The streets seem to be getting better so I'll head to the Y in a bit. Had a productive morning though, giving my cupboards and refrigerator a thorough cleaning and organizing our pantry. I found some evaporated milk from 2014!

Stay safe everyone. Especially you Enke. I think you're right when you say it's time to get rid of the raccoons!

Tramps

((Holly)) Long meetings suck.

Enke— Scary stuff. Maybe that cougar took you for a par-boiled snack? Glad you’re safe.

Hang in there, Dave.  Spring’s a-coming.

Steve—crazy-looking pooch photo!

Doug, Jlynne, et al. --All that ice does not sound like fun.  Be careful.

Nothing like that here.  40F this morning for 6 miles that ended in light rain.

Be safe. Be kind.

C-R

Hi all.

That cougar story was some scary stuff. Glad it worked out ok enke. Sometimes nature throws some curve balls at us.

Lots of good runs today. Trails are a mess so I skipped them. Way too much rain in the past few days.  4.5 miles at lunch at a leisurely pace. Streak still going and pain is now discomfort. The trend is in the correct direction.

Making quiche tonight. Planned on regular ingredients (bacon, mushrooms, red peppers but am open to any other ideas.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Great ketchup Jay!!

Yikes!! Sorry about the icy weather so many of you are dealing with!!

And Enke -- whoa!!! That must have been so scary!!

Dave - I'd say Blue Mondays and blue anyday can be pretty common this time of year. Looking forward to a Feb vacation is helping me and I have to admit our weather has had some unusually warmer temps and bright sunshine which definitely helps!!

I am almost embarrassed to say this, but I slept OVER 10 HOURS last night!! I developed another bout of vertigo yesterday afternoon and it makes me want to eat and sleep!! It's not so bad today, but still mildly annoying!! I really hope it clears up faster than my last bout as I am leaving on a cruise in just a little over 2 weeks!!

So when I finally dragged my butt out of bed, I went to computraining where we did a crazy hard, high cadence interval workout on our bikes!!

Came home, scarfed down too many pretzels, changed into dry clothes and went out for a gorgeous 6.5 mile run - did 1 mile warm-up, 4 pretty consistent miles, followed by 1.5 miles quick pace. Really could use a good massage and some Eply's maneuver to knock out this vertigo!!

denise

..Very Scary enke//....story had The Twilight Zone Theme in the background as I read it......

===========

..60s here and drizzle

20-min HH on GreenWay (darn Back was bugging me after yesterday)

and

40-min PoolRun with belt, cf, ris, paw

which

always makes me feel better

................good running guys

ETA-

........Wishing henry Good Training on his ReHab.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Cripes, Enke!  I saw that post on FB, but I tell ya, I probably would've pooped or peed in the hot tub whilst trying to get the cougar to leave.  I'm guessing "shaky" doesn't even begin to describe how you were feeling, and I don't blame you for ending the streak over said encounter.

Dave - C.O.M.S. - I gotta share that with The Hub and tell him I finally figured out what's wrong with him! 

I did my core/UBST last night, about 30 minutes, then ran 5 this a.m.  We have another wave of rain coming, supposedly starting this afternoon, with the bulk of it hitting tomorrow.  Thankfully, tomorrow is a stationary bike workout day.

Another PT session this a.m.  Yesterday I actually felt like I was improving quite a bit, then I got up this a.m. and my right glute was so frigging tight, it was ridiculous. *sigh*

A few days before Christmas, one of my coworkers was appeared to be pretty intoxicated or under the influence of something late in the day at work.  I told one of the partners who is a good friend of hers, who told a couple of the other partners, and I know at least one agreed she appeared to be under the influence.  It was never confirmed she was drinking at work or taking something, but I'm not stupid.  I live with a recovering alcoholic who was an active alcoholic for 24 years.

Flash forward to late yesterday, said coworker (who I really like, by the way) came into my office and it appeared something was wrong, but not as bad as last time.  I couldn't smell alcohol, but her demeanor was completely different from when I had talked to her 4 hrs previous and her eyes appeared dilated.  I went to my boss this time, as opposed to the other partner.

When I told The Hub what I'd done, he pretty much told me he didn't think it was any of my business, that I'd already said something previously, and it was the partners' responsibility to watch her.  I completely disagreed, but started second-guessing myself.  Today, I asked my boss if I'd overstepped my bounds and he said no, but the only thing he would say to watch out about is saying that she was "drinking again" since it was never established she had been drinking last time.  Oh and, of course, this stays between me and the partners.

I don't know what's going on with her, but hopefully she doesn't have some problem, being medical or chemical, and I feel much better knowing my boss doesn't think I'm sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong.  My concern is her driving under the influence - or whatever is going on - or doing something wrong on a case while "this" is going on.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I'm just popping in to say hi.  I'm not running today.  I have a meeting at church and that's where I'd better be getting off to.

That's it!  See ya!