Masters Running

Monday August 4 runs and workouts and a new week (Read 400 times)

Four solo miles at 6:00 AM at 8:50 pace. Low humidity and blue skies/65F---pretty perfect. My legs were stiff for the first mile or so and loosened up nicely by mile 2. My guys are going to Bristol, CT to watch the Little League NE playoff games today. We watched the team from Walpole, MA play in the Little League World Series last year (rainy, rainy Willamsport, PA) and hope another MA teams makes it. No baseball for me today. I have a client report to write. The house will be quiet at least! I am glad The Saint stopped in yesterday with an update. Hugs to you Saint and to Spareribs. My miles are for you. CNYrunner/Karin

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Anyone notice that yesterday was not August 2? I was feeling sooo lazy this morning, and almost didn’t do anything, but then I tried a couple of exercises and before I knew it, got sucked in to a whole workout. No run, though, just light x-training: lateral raises, bench presses, flies, lying hammer curls, dead lifts, weighted squats, glute raises, crunches and wall-sits. Happy Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

The Jogger

Thanks for starting us Karin, nice run and good pace. Popped into yesterday to see the Saint's post. He is on the mend, lapping the unit. Good workout Holly, see once you get started, there's no stopping you. Myself and Woody went out for a hilly 7m trail run and very nice it was to. I was at the accident and emergency myself last night, I swallowed a fish bone, sea bass, so it was just a wee one. I wasn't going to go but MrsRoy said you won't sleep, thinking you are choking so go and off I went. They couldn't find it even with an xray, so it seems to have gone Smile Anyway: 7m 01:19:13 @ 11:19 pace AHR 143 66% WHR Good Runs All Roy

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Morning! Karin.. nice fast recovery from your long run yesterday. That's what high mileage does for ya! Nice 7 Roy! 4 Magical Healing Miles with Tory 9:56 pace, AHR 133. Nothing stiff or sore after yesterday's long run. A bit cooler 65 this morning which felt great.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Dave59

A nice strong feeling run for a change. 4.3 miles with 4x5 minutes at a harder pace.

Good morning, all! CNY - nice kickoff on this lovely Monday morning! Enjoy the peace and quiet! Roy - glad the fishbone didn't cause more problems. Nice hilly run this morning! Dave - congrats on the stronger run! No run for me today - I couldn't remember the last time I took a rest day, so I thought I'd better take it easy. 20 miles on the trail yesterday @ 10:21 average pace and 153 average HR. Amazing what difference a drop in humidity makes for the long run. 70 minutes of core, leg and upper body weights this morning. Bike ride scheduled for the lunch hour. I'm taking in a Defenders baseball game tonight with some girlfriends. This is a farm team for the Giants. I see beer and dollar dogs in my future......... I didn't see a monthly mileage thread - I must have missed it. I had what I think is a monthly PR - 226.5 for the month of July. 1197.5 for the year. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

No run for me yesterday. Should've been my long run, but DH and I got immersed in laying new hardwood flooring in our dining room. I could feel the guy at the rental store sizing me up when I rented the compressor and nailer. No, I hadn't used one before, but that didn't scare me off. Fun tool. Anyway, finished everything that required the rental and will wrap up the remainder this week. Next weekend sanding and staining. I am sooo sore today...not used to all that bending over! Tongue But, the whole time I kept thinking that I was going to miss my run because it was taking longer than expected. So my miles for last week are all off. Hate it when life gets in the way. DickyG - I grew up on a farm just outside of Sioux Falls and went to college in Rapid City. I've been to the Corn Palace many times and it's cool to find someone from outside the state that's heard of it. Glad to hear Spareribs getting around.
                Tramps

Good to hear from The Saint. Thanks for the update. Erika, I hate the heat but this...
                  It sure was chilly though... 50F and breezy, my hands were so cold. Wore long sleeved shirt and shorts... should've added gloves..
                  ...is wild for early August! Brrrr. Sue--Wildchild is away so no monthly mileage thread this month. No one volunteered to jump in. Sad
                  But, the whole time I kept thinking that I was going to miss my run because it was taking longer than expected.
                  HandyMom--A home improvement project that takes longer than expected? Why, I've never heard of such a thing! Wink First day of cutback week. Easy 5 @ 9:25 pace. I'm breaking in some new shoes. A new model for me: Asics Foundation. I've been running in Asics 1100/1110/1120 for the last few years so this is a change . So far, so good. Have a good week!

Be safe. Be kind.

DickyG

Aha! So I'm not the only NASCAR fan in the group..but if you're a real fan, it's not "NASCAR"..it's "stock car racin'" or "Winston Cup"...even though it's not Winston Cup anymore. As usual, terrific Sunday long runs: Tramps (18+ miles & 85% humidity..and what a super effort to stick to your plan), Peter (17+ miles in the Carolina heat), Perch (20 miles at 8:32 pace), Larry (17 miles...and best wishes to your son), Gordon (20 miles...8 minute pace...wow), Karin (21+ miles), Walt (12 miles on the trail), busiman (19 miles),lamerunner (18 miles with one wicked hill), Enke (12 miles on the horse trails), Sue (20 miles). You people are unreal... Holly: Your determination is very admirable...hang in there. Jeanne: Looks like you're playing it smart...ice & Aleve...hmmm...good combination. Also..congrats on husband/wife 3rd place...I can't get Queen Pam out on the course...but she can kick some serious butt on the tennis courts. Tramps: Yeah...RIR is one of my favorite tracks, along with Bristol & Martinsville...short track racin' rules. Perch: Does all that info come off of your Garmin? Twocat: Scanners..for use at the race...you can download the pit freqs from numerous web sites...for the majority of the race, you just listen to the radio feed, but when there's a wreck, you tune to the freq of whover wrecked...you definately hear some colorful conversation....tell us a little more about your race...sounds like something might have been off a little (?) Ileneforward: Congrats!...and a wonderful pic. Tammy: Your DH was at the Phoenix race? So was #1 son lives in Scottsdale... big Dale Jr. fan... Major improvement for me today...ran a tough 4 mile course with 4 major hills and 2 minor ones...ran all of the first 5 before I ran out of gas and walked a little on the last one...overall time 36:14 (9:04 pace)...last 2 miles in 17:10. Good news about Ribs...betcha he lapped a couple of the other patients. DickyG (sorry about all the bold type...can't seem to modify it out)
                      Ahhhhh...Recovery Monday...5 ezpz miles at 8:38 pace...
                      Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                        Here's another handy place for updates. http://www.kickrunners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35017 Happy August to everyone Running Ahead! Your friend, La Vita or Rose or RCG or Barbara
                        LaVita

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning Everyone, Easy day for me today. 8 miles in 1:19:24 a 9:56 pace. The course I ran this morning may work out for wave runs. There is only one small incline and that would be on an easy mile. I would have to do the last 5 miles at the track but that's ok. That would be the last two HMP miles, two easy miles and the cool down mile. I went over 1,000 miles this morning. I am now at 1007. Next goal 1500 and then maybe 2000. Since I am starting a new level this week, 54 miles, I should be able to get to 2000. Great news about Ribs from The Saint. He will be giving us race reports from the hospital any day now. DickyG I am a big "Cup" fan as well. I try to get out to Fontana each year and sometimes, Phoenix. I admit that I am a proud member of JR. Nation! I have to say though I do like Kyle Busch. He reminds me a little of Dale Sr. (#3 forever!) when he was young. Have a great day everyone. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Mariposai

I took MP for a spin this morning Yes. 2 miles w/u- 5 miles MP and 2 miles c/d with a 9 miles total. I sure was drenched with sweat when I was done. I came home, ate breakfast and got ready for work. This is day one of bike to work week, so 4 miles total of biking today. Here is for a terrific week for all of us.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

It's been busy here since I posted Fri morning and took off for the weekend. I've skimmed the dailies and hope I'm caught up. It sounds like ribs is doing well which is good news. craneium, nice anniversary picture. dtoce, nice race for you and your son, especially him running while sick. dg, that was a neat "smile" picture. breger, nice race. maine, good job on the PR in your race. teresa, that was a major PR, congratulations. evan, nice work on your PR. nono, good race. Twocat, nice race for you. Ilene, happy anniversary and thanks for the picture. There were a whole lot of long runs for perch, fjord (longest of year), CNY, mariposai, Dave (it sounds like you're ready for the Crim), BC, pfriese, mtnchk, Tammy (lovely run), Tramps, Peter, perch (again), hallar, lynden, CNY (again), Walt (on trails), busi, lame, enke, evan, and sue. Good job on the speedwork for dtoce and Dave. We had a good weekend at our family reunion. It's at Ludington which is on the shore of Lake Michigan about midway in the lower penninsula. We've had the reunion since sometime in the 40's. It's about as simple and informal as it could be. Generally there is no contact with anyone before the reunion. The plan is simple - on the first Saturday in August, show up at the same park as the last 20 years or so (there only been about 4 different locations in all the years we've done this) at noon with a dish to pass for a potluck meal. We never know for sure who will be there and it may be anywhere from 25 or 30 up to 50 or more. This year there were probably about 40. We visit, eat, and visit some more. After several hours, people wander away and show up the next year, same place, same time. About 25 years ago, we started bringing our pop up camper and staying at the same park. A few people started dropping in at our campsite on Friday night and that "mini" reunion has grown to 20-30 for sloppy joes and s'mores. This year, we left on Sunday to go to Lansing so my wife and daughter could go to a bridal shower for our soon to be daughter in law. On Sunday, my daughter and I went for a 5 mile run around Ludington. We included the two places I like to run whenever I'm there. The first is the little over half mile out the breakwater into the lake and around the lighthouse at the end. The other is a run through the local cemetery to say "hi" to my father, one set of grandparents, and a few other relatives. A good day and good runs for all. TomS

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

DickyG - Those graphs were after uploading the Garmin to SportsTracks. It makes the graphs automatically. More accurate elevation profiles are obtained using Motionbased (with their "gravity correction" option turned on. Both are free adn both directly upload data from the Garmin. http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/ http://trail.motionbased.com/ Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova