Masters Running

Wednesday, 12.28.16 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Good 5.1 mi. run in capris in the mild weather, Deeze. Sounds like a good detox plan - and start eating left-handed to balance the forklifting workouts.

Good core and weight work, Holly, and congrats on giving yourself permission to sleep late this week. It's a bummer to feel like you are the only one in the house working this week.

Good for you for finding the upside to feeling lousy over the holidays, Tammy. But it is still best if you feel better. How was the movie?

TwoCat, the only way to stop eating sweets is to finish them all, so get on it!    Nice 8-miler with your training partner. Weren't you going for 6?

Strange timing at the movie theater indeed, Rochrunner! It seems there is a lot of sluggishness following the holiday binges. You'll be fine for the race on Sunday.

I'm sorry you're still feeling lousy, Mariposai. Maybe your body is telling you that you need a break.

Good 8.2 miles in minus temps, Evanflein. I'm glad your hip is better, and hope your back is too. Watch out for that approaching storm! And congrats on making most of the cookies go away without eating too many.

We got back from our Christmas journey to NY on Monday evening (taking an extra hour because of lots 'o traffic). Former neighbors stopped by for brunch yesterday, on their way up to the NH lakes region. And our New Year's company arrives tomorrow. We also have a significant storm coming this way tomorrow but, so far, it looks like we'll get mostly rain here near the coast. Further inland, they are forecasting lots of snow.

I went out for a 3.7 mi easy walk at J o'clock this morning. My hamstring is still tight, and 2 visits to PT haven't accomplished much. I bought a TENS unit (electro stim via small pads) that should arrive today. My massage therapist told me they are available for home use, and are relatively inexpensive ($25-$40 for well-rated units). I've been dealing with this for far too long, so I either haven't taken the right approach to healing, or I did more damage than I thought back at the end of Oct. Either way, it is time to get more serious about getting over this.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

evanflein good luck getting through the coming storm with your power intact. My lower run outside limit is about 20°. Your run in sub zero temperatures is waaaay below my limit.

coastwalker glad to see you return to starting the daily! Good luck with your hamstring. I went through quite a few attempted remedies before finding a cure to my hamstring problems about 5 years ago.

DW is off running. I think she is going about 5 miles. Later she will abandon me and have lunch with her friends in a nearby town where one of them works. I spent an hour on the elliptical and then did a few weights.

Has anyone here run the Cork Ireland marathon and wants to share their experience with it? I have to be in Dublin for work the week before the Cork marathon. I am thinking of hanging out in Ireland for an extra few days and then running the marathon in Cork. There are nearly no reviews of the race on marathonguide.com. No doubt because it is a really small race. There are only about a thousand starters in the full marathon and double that in the half.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

evanflein good luck getting through the coming storm with your power intact. My lower run outside limit is about 20°. Your run in sub zero temperatures is waaaay below my limit.

+1

Jay - at the risk of sounding a little holistic, have you tried castor oil packs?  I fought with my hamstring issue from June to mid-September, but bizarrely, 4 days in a row of having a heating pad and castor oil pack on the sore area seemed to work a miracle.  Worth a try, anyway.  Debbie (dg) is the one who suggested it for me.

3 miles for me on the TM this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Working 16 hours today - came in at 3am!! Last work shift of 2016 so I figured I might as well go long!! Just snuck out for an easy 1.1 mile run to stay in the fat a** holiday challenge - 4 days to go!! Oh and I just passed the 100 mile mark for December!! 😍😊

denise

TammyinGP

today my plan is to un-Christmas the house and get in a run this afternoon. I'm feeling good enough for maybe 3 miles today.

I'm probably one of the few that was very underwhelmed by Rogue One. I'll leave it at that as I'm sure there are others that may be planning on seeing it.

Somehow I ended up being a group leader for our running clubs C25K program. I only have one day a week I'm leading, someone else is leading 2 days a week, so it'll be easy to do. Since I already try to pretty much be consistent on Wed track runs after work, this is just doubling with that. I hope a few people come out for it. our local running group (S.O.R.E.) is a meetup group, so with the workouts listed on that meetup.com hopefully it'll draw a few folks out.

Tammy

Tammy, I also thought Rogue One was so-so, but chalked it up partly to getting too old to be able to follow all that video-game-fast action that was almost the whole 2nd half of the movie. My brain just doesn't process stuff that fast any more!

I didn't go out at Jay O'clock, but more like 9AM. It was about 30 with the sun trying to break through and no wind, so after deciding that I didn't feel like driving somewhere to run I just took a neighborhood route that I only use at this time of year (generally boring, all pavement, and traffic noise for some of it). I felt a lot better than yesterday, which got my spirits up. The route is exactly four miles, but I forgot about a turn that I should have made near the end and was only at 3.85 when I reached my driveway. Unfortunately, my bladder made it inadvisable to keep going the extra distance, so I called it at that.

Hoping Erika's power stays on and that everyone is able to keep up their workout schedules.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

TammyinGP

Tammy, I also thought Rogue One was so-so, but chalked it up partly to getting too old to be able to follow all that video-game-fast action that was almost the whole 2nd half of the movie. My brain just doesn't process stuff that fast any more!

that's actually the perfect description of it. My DH also compared it to a video game. I'm not so sure it's a matter of us getting old but rather indicative of a younger generation that is so tuned into video games and entertainment that is very fast moving, and full of action, rather than story-line development, that's the mode the film industry goes as well when trying to attract that viewing audience.

I miss George Lucas.

Tammy

evanflein

My son loved Rogue One! We saw it in 3D and he pronounced it "awesome," so there you go. He's a diehard Star Wars fan though and has been for years. I liked it, but the 3D glasses are annoying, IMO.

Our "up to one inch" of snow passed 3" at about noon when I went out to shovel a bit. Good to keep ahead of this stuff. Then came in and did my interval run on the treadmill, 8.3 miles total with 5 half mile repeats at 8:00 pace after a 3 mile warm up, then I threw in 3 .1 mile sprints at 7:30 pace. I still have to stop and wipe off and have a drink after every half mile repeat, which is aggravating. I was cold when first starting out, but amazing how much you warm up in a cool room with no air flow.

The "real" snow is supposed to start tomorrow...

Marathon Maniac #957

I'm not so sure it's a matter of us getting old but rather indicative of a younger generation that is so tuned into video games and entertainment that is very fast moving, and full of action, rather than story-line development, that's the mode the film industry goes as well when trying to attract that viewing audience.

Possibly, but my 19yo DS, who was really looking forward to it, was somewhat let down by the movie.  I will still see it, but will wait for the DVD and watch it at home.  It's hard to talk me into a movie theater when I can choose watching on our ridiculously big 75" tv in my PJs, sprawled on the sectional.

Actually, I should say "watching it on DH's tv" since I have to ask permission to watch one of my own shows on it. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."