Masters Running

Boston Marathon report-fun this year! and I am not dead yet.. (Read 340 times)

lamerunner

You can skip the history if you want, time is at the end...... .It has been a very long time since I entered a marathon with so little prepartion. The sequence of events started last fall when I trained, in retrospect , much too hard for the Portland Maine marathon. I got caught up in training with some friends of similar age but they were on their first or second marathon; I have 30 + years of this on my legs. Too many long runs for this old jalopy. I ended up developing pretty severe sciatica about two weeks before the Portland race, but I forged ahead anyway, ran in pain plus stupidly used new shoes and new low socks, resulting in bloody heels. I ran a BQ but it was a disappointing 3:42 after a lot of training.... had a tough time recovering, took two months off to rest my back, did some PT etc. Finally in December I had an MRI and got set up to have three epidural shots.... starting in February. Around Christmas I started running a little bit again and did lots of elliptical; after the second shot I started to be able to run a bit longer distance ( that was March 13), then I entered Eastern States to be sure I could at least run 20 miles. I could. (I had signed up for Boston so it would not close but very skeptical I would actually run.) Last shot in this series was April 14, 6 days out. .. I decided to go ahead and run, just for fun. I was very worried though. 26.2 on that course is not so easy. Some good firneds drove me and a couple of other Manchester runners down to Hopkinton; after an epic wait in a potty line I got into corral 17 about 20 seconds before thegun went off. Somehow I managed to be pretty zen-like about the early crowding; I had a flash of insight that not racing Boston might be a lot better than I had feared. Mile 1 was 8:45, pretty crowded and slow. I made a concious decision to ease into a decent pace and bob and weave only as necessary to keep a decent stride. First 5k was 25:58; from there I was running steady 8:15-8:30 pace pretty consistently. I had open areas and crowded spots but I ran pretty comfortably. My legs were not as lively as I might have wished, but I felt relaxed, breathing was easy. I slapped kids hands and joked a bit with other runners. I had a lot of fun the first half. I hit the half at 1:49. I was a little worried I had taken it too easy and might still really slow later. took my first gel; legs had moments of fatigue but I was still running strong. The next few miles just kind of went by. I don't remember all my splits after that; I saw some friends at around mile `18. Mile 20 I was at about 2:49. I ran the hills very strong,( though somehow missed seeing all my frineds on Heartbreak hill), then cruised into the downhill portions. I slowed a little late in the race, but basicly kep running strong. Kept expecting to die but never did. I did have some hints of muscle cramps and stomach pain which reduced any tempation to really kick it in, but I did push hard down Boylston street and finished strong, No walking, no crying , no pit stops. Finished in 3:44:48 I could not have expected any faster without training, and I ran more evenly and comfortably than ever at Boston. There are some paciing lessons for me in this... First half 1:49 and change, second half 1:55. Head wind was a factor the last few miles, though not as bad as I feared. Three gels, at 13, 17 and 23. Nike green long sleeve dri fit top, Saucony black shorts, Hurricane 10 shoes and Saucony socks. 3:44:48 Sorry this got so long....

Renee the dog

No walking, no crying , no pit stops.
      I hear you on that! Sounds like a great race day, and I'm so darn glad you could finish! Smile lame, it was very hairy for you all winter. Well done!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Kept expecting to die but never did.
        That was my favourite line. It sounds like not racing it was the right decision! Sorry about your sciatica issues, but at least you got to the starting line, and to the finish line. How did you miss so many of your friends?? Congratulations on a smart run.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

#artbydmcbride

Woohooo! Great job! Smile

Runners run

Marathon Maniac #957

Wow - you make it sound so easy... On so little training I'd have been dying, crawling, just to finish, and you just fly in evenly and comfortably with a 3:44 - great job!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

lamerunner

Thanks everyone! Enke, I don't know how I missed my friends. They missed me too but spotted another person we knew who, based on finish times must have been nearby. Heartbreak Hill covers a lot of territory, but I was looking, as were they. ... odd. Maybe someone tall was in front of me.
                Thats a great time !!! I understand not doing as good as you could have with better training but concidering what you went through to get there you should be beaming. Congrats on a great Boston and thanks for sharing Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

lame, I think this sounds like a fantastic race even if you hadn't had some setbacks and concerns in preparing. You ran a great race. Congratulations. TomS
                    I could not have expected any faster without training, and I ran more evenly and comfortably than ever at Boston. There are some paciing lessons for me in this...
                    Yes, yes, yes! This is how Boston should be run. Good comeback after your back problems. Very well run race.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Well done lamerunner especially after all the sciatica issues and everything else...not to mention the nonstop ice and snow of this past winter. Your area of New England got it worse than we did here. None of that stopped you. I always look forward to your posts as I respect and admire your running talent and ability quite a bit. It's great to feel relaxed and in control during a marathon especially when it's Boston. (don't tell anyone, but it's my favorite course) It's not about the time as much as it is about the whole run as I know you have run marathons in 2:45s or lower. I would say you aren't dead yet! I cracked up at your RR title. I hope the injury issues stay away and maybe I'll see you at a race one of these days. Boston next year? Congratulations! Karin
                        Amazing! We ought to save this for everyone to read when they are first acknowledging an injury--altho I agree with Holly, not sure most of us would come back so strong, so fast! Congrats! A
                        Masters 2000 miles
                          nice job lamerunner!!

denise

lamerunner

thanks for all the kind words. Karin, I ran in the 2:55 range but never 2:45 ( thanks though,,). My last really competitive marathon I wanted to be under 2:50 to meet what was then the Olympic Trials time. Got a sinus infection, paced the race poorly etc and never made it, and then other things happened medically. Even or sort of even pacing for me is in itself a victory for me now. I am still exhausted though,,,, old I guess.
                            evanflein

Great job with coming back from your back problems. A series of three shots sounds pretty intense. Has that cleared it all up though? You are an amazingly talented runner, and I'm glad you wrote this up. And it's also very easy to miss people on this course! I missed the "20-mile water stop" last year and was looking for it.
                              TammyinGP

Long? That wasn't long!! Congratulations on running a good strong race on not your optimal training. I think you did very well!

Tammy