Masters Running

Queens HM RR....a Steamy Bonk-aroo (Read 187 times)

I was looking forward to this race after a humid summer marked by a spotty running schedule and sluggish race times. Back in early May I ran the Brooklyn HM and was pleased with my 1:34:something time....I was hoping to come close to this again. So, turns out, I travel over 100 miles to experience swelteringly unseasonal temperatures. I did my pre-race warm up and a couple of striders....then lined up only to realize that I was sweating LIKE A PIG.....not only was it humid as all get-out, but there wasn't much of a breeze to help a fellow, either.....I figure I'll start out at a 7:15/ mile pace, see what happens. (Bang! They're off.....) I hit the three mile-marker a 21:46, spot-on, pace-wise....then crest a small hill about 1/4 mile later. My head feels like it wants to spit steam out of my ears, and I start seeing those little pinpricks of light in my periphery that I see when I stand up too fast. Figuring that this couldn't be a good sign (THAT'S A JOKE- UNDERSTATEMENT) , I promptly slow way, way down, make it to the 4 mile water stop, douse myself, and do my best to finish, walking through water stops, trying to keep a sub- 9 minute pace. I do manage to do this, but anytime I try to speed up, my head gets this "you're WAY too hot" feeling which hardly inspires confidence. I hit the 13 mile mark at 1:49 flat, and realize that with a small push I can keep it sub-1:50. I succeed in this, getting a 1:49:59.....8:24's....a good minute and change off pace. Ouch! At least I won't be elbowing people to look at the results board. Either my summer has been filled with "bad data point" races, or I'm just getting remarkably slower with astonishing speed. Smile None of the above would discourage me from doing this race again. Compared to Brooklyn, the Queens race really felt like a small-town race which had been shoehorned into the street of Queens....lots of turns, rollers that came out of nowhere, impromptu watering contraptions (hoses on brooms) in peoples' front yards. Fun. Except for the "folding like a cheap suitcase" part. Fashion report: Sweaty white singlet, sweaty grey shorts, Mizuno something-wave-something 10's which may have seen their last day. Thanks for reading....Walt
    HermosaBoy

You started, you finished. Over and above that -- It's all good!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Renee the dog

Gosh, sounds like a rough day. Way to tough it out. A minute and change off pace is better than passing out on the course, in my opinion. Smile I think you are to be congratulated!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

huskydon

Bummer about the humidity. You know its bad if you're sweating like a pig BEFORE the race. That's the way it goes sometimes. Nice finish though. Sounds like a fun race. Thanks for the report. huskydon
            Very smart move to slow way down....I can't imagine how ugly it could have gotten. Congratulations, for being smart and for gutting it out to the end.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

sounds like you were really smart to slow it down before you truly overheated!! i'm sure you'll be right on pace for your next race with less humidity!!

denise

So sorry about the bonk, but you were really smart not to push against what would have been much worse. Kick it next year and feel better in the meantime. Congrats on finishing smart and upright! CNYrunner
                  I'm just getting remarkably slower with astonishing speed. Smile ...Walt
                  Big grin Big grin I seriously doubt that's the case! Sounds like tough conditions, but you tell the story with a spark of humor.....Nice job!
                  Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                    Sounds like a tough day...but you toughed it out and seemed to have enjoyed your visit. Congrats Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

King of PhotoShop

I think you knew you were "cooked" after the warm-up. Given your quick PR of 1:34, a hot day half didn't look like you were going to break it. Good runners like you always make the most of it however, and you did well to tough it out and chalk it up to the conditions. I would hate to race you at this distance in December. Well done. Spareribs
                      wildchild

Carolyn

Thanks for an interesting and humorous report! Sorry conditions were not in your favor, but they weren't in anyone else's favor, either, unless someone likes running in a sauna.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

You were smart in the way you adjusted to the conditions, Walt. You don't need to feel bad about your results given the heat and humidity. Congrats on a good job. TomS
                            Such nice comments from everybody.....Maybe I'll bonk more often! Til the next one.... Walt