Masters Running

Tue Dec 23 Runs and etc (Read 438 times)

Good morning! Do you have all your shopping done? One of my colleagues is taking today off today because I guess he hadn't started yet. Yikes! At 12°F, another cold one here in the mid-Atlantic. But I know you folks further north are getting even colder weather, so I feel for you. At least there was no wind today, so it felt warmer than yesterday. 10x20sec striders in a 9 miler today: 9.2 miles, 1:15:31, 8:10/mi, AHR 152 Have a great day today!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Teresadfp

One day at a time

-9 degrees F right now. I think I will wait a little while to run! I'm going to get a few more little presents for our kids today. We're not having a big Christmas, but I want them to have some little things to open. I know it will be a zoo, but I kind of like that every once in awhile!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

My Christmas shopping is done - it is the food shopping that I haven't even started yet. Out for 4 miles with Brinkley this morning. He was quite excited to be out running again today. He even found a leaf that had escaped the snow to pounce on. Roll eyes 9 degrees with -4 windchill - brrrrr. Happy that I decided to put on one more layer this morning. 10:18 avg. pace - 161 avg. hr Enjoy the day!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

I’m still trying to catch up with everything that’s going on here: Ribs: I finally got the chance to listen to Riblets “recital” I really enjoyed listening, it reminded me of my kids and going to their recitals…more than a few years ago. Smile TimBo: as everyone else has said please stick around, you are such a pleasure here regardless as to whether your posts are run or non-run related…KEEP POSTING BRO! Oh yeah, sorry about those broken toes buddy, you’ve got to take better care of yourself or find a goddess who will. Lou: I have a short week like you, work through Wednesday which I hope will be a half day or so, hope you enjoy yours! And yes it is extremely cold up here in the northeast and those winds Sunday were pretty brutal. Theresa: I wanted to make sure I let you know that I have been keeping tabs on your son and I have really enjoyed watching his progress….WOW, he has a heck of a future ahead of him that’s for sure. And I’m with you, I kind of like going out on these last days of Christmas shopping even though I am done, it’s fun to walk around or even just sit and relax while “people watching”. Bill: You’ve have been run so very well of late, I am quite anxious to see how you do if you run that half marathon. Keep us posted and keep up the great runs, oh and how about sending a little of that warm weather our way. Tramps: Nice run yesterday, I don’t have to worry about the “ice beard” because I don’t have a beard! But I do have a problem with my eye lids freezing shut, which happened again this past Sunday a few times…I actually have to reach up and pull on them to get them opened!! I won’t have to worry about the eggnog…I don’t indulge in that, however the home made sugar cookies are something else all together! Mary: 16 loaves of Pumpkin Bread (one of my favorites) and mini pizzas of my god I could probably find my way to your house by smell alone! Wink Nice run this morning, I’m sure Brinkley enjoyed it as well. Peter: Nice long run buddy, I know what you mean with the hands. I have to double glove (actually mittens) in this extreme cold or I just get too miserable to run. Perch: Nice run with Tory, good to have the company on these runs isn’t it. I guess your right about the wind chill, but I sometimes run hard thinking that I’ll get it over with quicker!! Mariposi: Nice run girl, although I’m not sure I would have chosen the same soundtrack! Holly: Now those are some FRIGID temps, although I am one that would run outside regardless I still have to choose the treadmill during the week this time of year for safety reasons alone so I certainly can’t blame you for hitting the treadmill when it gets that cold out. And I think most of us here have some of the same problems with the goodies around the house this time of year. DW made some Rice Krispie squares Sunday for Christmas…oh yeah and I’m not gonna touch them right? I don’t think so! Nono: I’m with Bill on the data stuff, I rarely watch it during a run but try to keep it loaded on my PC and then I can review it whenever I want and it has come in quite hand for comparison puroposes etc. Meg: OK you deserve a fine for that one, just rubbing that expected 66 degrees for Wednesday right into us cold folk up here in New England! Wink Enke: I feel for you, but the photos really are beautiful! Tammy: Very nice photo however, 3 inches does not constitute a snow storm, just keep rubbing it in girls! Carolyn: Now I agree with you: “Yeah but the slower you run, the longer you’re out in the cold”. SR: Beautiful photos, I liked the ones of the dogs the best….they look so warm and comfy!! Now for a little rant: I’m a native born Mainer and I really do love it here, except that as I get older I have a lot less tolerance for the cold and the snow which is really getting ridiculous already! We ended up with 24 inches of new snow from Sunday’s Nor’easter and my wife’s sister up in Eustis got 41.8 inches of new snow!Shocked Now I know we’re going to be getting plenty of snow and all, but it’s only December for crying out loud. My days have been pretty long lately, its dark when I leave for work in the morning and dark when I get home so I haven’t been able to take any photos from this recent storm, maybe I’ll be able to snap a few and post them during the Christmas break. Sunday - 9.25 very easy miles - 1:21:15 (8:47) Avg HR 125 Max HR 141 6 degrees and light snow, 41.3 for the week. Monday - 5.01 miles eased into a nice 4 mile progressive run with the last mile as recovery - 37:09 (7:25) 7:57 - 7:40 - 7:23 - 6:36 - 7:24 - :09 Supposed to be doing some hill work this evening...not sure if that will happen...we'll see what transpires.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice runs Maine (Yesterday) and Beerman! Hopeful and Teresa... BRRRR! You can stay in bed and have more miles than degrees Smile 8 Miles turned progression/tempo? 2 miles with Tory at 9:35 pace then a progression in the 25F (nice out): 7:57 (151/162) 8:05 (157/164) 7:54 (159/163) 7:35 (160/164) 7:27 (161/165) 7:26 (163/168) 8 miles in 1:05:37 (8:12 pace, AHR 154)... kind of like WRFB's run Smile

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Totally off topic: MrHopeful keeps asking me if I'd like to go on a plow run with him - so last night I decided to indulge him and ride along. It was fun at first - then the plow got stuck in a sideways position and would not straighten out. His idea to fix it - run into that telephone pole up ahead (at a slow pace) but there was a bit of snow before the telephone pole, so we were stuck for a few minutes rocking back and forth. Finally, the shovel had to be used - drats! After a few minutes we were on the road again and the plow was working correctly. However - we no longer had brakes! Yep, the foot went right straight to the floor. The ride home was interesting - I found the brake on my side of the floor board didn't work any better than his. Wink Now he has some quick brake work to do before tonight as storm #?? bears down on us again. Long story short - he probably won't ask me to go out plowing with him again any time soon. Big grin

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Tramps

Nothing like some chilly weather (17F) to put the sproink in your tempo miles. 6.7 miles today with 4 of them at tempo (7:09 avg). That’s a little too fast but I felt fine. Followed up with a little cross-training by refilling the firewood ring. ETA: Walt that’s some nice-looking firewood ya got there! srlopez, nice pics, too; those pups look very comfortable! Re: check engine light. The one on my little 96’ Ford Ranger came on a couple of weeks ago and I brought it in to our local neighborhood garage to have it checked out. The guy calls me up later in the day, hemming and hawing. “Well, uh, I’m not quite sure how to explain this…uh…. but it looks like some critters have eaten their way through some hoses…” Turns out something had chewed through the hoses and the charcoal canister that filters evaporated fuel. He saved the parts and showed me the gnawing teeth marks. $200. Ouch.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Teresa – 9 below zero – brrrr! I didn’t realize it got that cold in Maine. Last night DD and I made sugar cookies, rolling them out and cutting out shapes and decorating them, getting flour all over each other and the kitchen and generally having a great time. Smile They are so much fun to make, but no one at our house actually likes sugar cookies much, so I took a big platter of them to the parking lot attendants at my office. As usual on interval day, I was kind of dreading going out this morning, fighting my first tendency toward laziness. Add to that the 15-17 degree temps and I really didn’t feel like going out. (Have I mentioned that I hate the cold?) BUT, the roads were dry today, freezing rain is in the forecast for tonight, and all those sugar cookies I ate last night were waiting to be burned off. 8.45 miles, including 6 x ½-mile intervals with 1-minute recoveries (10 seconds of walking and 50 seconds of slow jog). SR said to aim for 4:09, and I tried to look at the Garmin infrequently, trying to learn to run by feel. Intervals: 4:10 (8:20) 4:09 (8:18) 4:11 (8:22) 4:05 (8:10) 4:09 (8:18) 4:05 (8:10) This went surprisingly well – I felt great, really, strong and fit and speedy – what a wonderful feeling! Somehow I had more than my share of sproink today. (Must have been the sugar cookies.) And after the first couple of intervals, 17 degrees felt quite toasty. Happy Tuesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Early morning run for me again today. This Tuesday intervals are starting to feel more like a routine in my weekly plans. 2 miles warm up and coold down plus 5x800 @ 4:05 and 1x1000 @ 5:07. The first couple of the 800 felt harder than the last 4 even when I added 200m to the last one. 8.5 miles total. Maybe I needed to warm up a little more. Now, give me that triple chocolate fudge...I think I earned itSmile Holly, it is amazing what you can do when you are running these intervals at the right speed for you, isn't it?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Holly--sure looks like you got that running by feel down this morning! Cutout cookies are my favorite--DW makes several batches and we have a big decoration gathering. I tend to give out earlier than her, but the rules are you can't eat any until they're all done, even if they break (oops-it really was an accident Wink ) out for a brisk 3.2 in 11F at 6am. I did it in 29:13 with the trax and semi-plowed sidewalks. The first half must have been almost sproinky, as the cold seemed to get to my legs and I sort of plodded the last mile or so. I actually overdressed on top with 2 UA shirts and a light overshirt. I also ended up without gloves for intervals as my hands started sweating. Wish I could keep them that warm at other times, since Raynoaulds gives me white fingers for most of the winter.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Thankfully, I finished my Christmas shopping last night with a trip to the running store to pick up those socks for my brother. This is actually good for me as I am usually out on Christmas Eve finishing my shopping. Today will be an early day for me and I'm off tomorrow through the weekend. Today must be tempo/progression day. I got up early (for me) to run as dd had to be at gymnastics early this morning. It was cold for here - 29 degrees with North winds making it feel like 19 F. I am not used to running in the cold, nor am I used to running at 6:45 a.m. and I think I definitely could have used a few more miles of warm up. It seems to take me a lot longer to warm up these days. Anyway, 2 miles warm up, 3 miles tempo (6:49, 6:45, 6:50) and 2 miles cool down, though actually mile 4 was 7:05 so not exactly cool down territory. 7 miles total. Maine, I am going to be rubbing it in even more tomorrow I expect. Temps now forecast for 68 degrees. I had better get out early for my 14 miler or it will be too hot! Holly, I am heading home this afternoon to make the roll out and decorate sugar cookies. The dough is already in the fridge chilling. Fortunately, my kids like sugar cookies so I think they will get eaten up pretty quickly. Greta intervals, by the way! Looks like Ribs was right on the money about the pace. Meg

Once a runner . . .

I had to chuckle at Meg's post to TimBo yesterday where she admonished him not to leave us just because he wasn't running. This from the Girl who left us for a year or more when she was hurt. (Sorry Meg. Tried to resist but I couldn't help myself. Evil grin ) Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Hey Bill, I didn't tell Timbo not to leave - I just asked him to check in now and again. Big grin I totally understand the desire not to read about other people's fantastic runs while you are struggling. I promise not to leave you all, even if I wind up on the DL again.

Once a runner . . .

Renee the dog

I have one more gift to get -- luckily I can run by the Fudge Shop on the way back from my planned "around lunch time" run. I'm still thawing out from last night's run -- and have no treadmill. And, my MIL is staying at my house, so you know I just have to get a run in. Big grin Gosh, would I still be a runner if all the tenseness in my life suddenly left? Something to ponder while I'm out there.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Anyway, 2 miles warm up, 3 miles tempo (6:49, 6:45, 6:50) and 2 miles cool down, though actually mile 4 was 7:05 so not exactly cool down territory.
                                Fast! I love reading about your runs.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com