Masters Running

Thursday, 12.17.15 (Read 25 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

So, where is Ribs???

Holly, you set such a great example of just getting it done, whatever "it" is, for DD, and well, for me too!

Always tough to come back from vacation, Slo. It's too bad there isn't a way to gradually ease back into whatever the 'normal' schedule is.

Nice 6er, Leslie, regardless of the pace. At least you were out there. I don't know that I ever heard (or read) "unheavy" before. It was so nice of that person to remember your dad with that cardboard sign, and so nice of him to have taken the time and care to put them on other people's windshields.

Nice round and round and round 5er on the track, Jlynne. How nice of you to help the grandboys decorate the Christmas cookies, and how nice of them to leave reminders of their hard work (and fun, no doubt). Too bad those reminders were all over the floor...  How's that ark coming?

I'm glad your mentoring meetings went well this year, Aamos, and I'm sure they had a positive impact on the young woman/runner. About those train interruptions - suffice it to say that I would not be happy at all to have to stop mid-race for a train, traffic cop, or anything else. Nice 6er for you too, and I'm sure you'll do great in Saturday's Frosty 5K.

Watch out for that temperature drop, TW. Nice walking on your part.

Tet, I think that all morning meetings are questionable.

Mike, if you ran in the morning instead of at night, you wouldn't have all day to dread your runs. I would have dreaded running into a 22 mph headwind too!

Evanflein, I sure wouldn't want the day you had yesterday to be a 'typical' day, even for a short while! Putting in those hours, it's no wonder you had no time for a run.

Speaking of meetings, we had a tough one last night where we had a public hearing for one of our proposed town warrant articles for this year. The report on which our recommendation was based, and which had been used successfully previously for another project, is proving to be surprisingly inaccurate for this effort. We are working hard to clarify some issues, but if we can't, we may have to withdraw the recommendation and start over again in another year with a new report. It is just frustrating to find out this late in the process that the research in the report was so poorly done, and that the conclusions reached are not, in fact, supported by the facts provided. Having these researchers go back and do the work again is not an option, and I don't know that I'd be comfortable with the same folks working on it again anyway.

I got to bed too late to get up early for a workout today, despite the fact that it would have cleared my head, which sleeping in did a bit of anyway, so I'm reasonably ready for whatever today will bring, and am already looking forward to (not dreading) a workout tomorrow morning.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - sometimes you need to take that extra rest.

My poor Max kitty had three teeth pulled yesterday.  When I got him home from the vet he was still a bit dazed, stumbling and walking sideways a bit.  It would have been pretty funny if I didn't feel so sorry for him.  Losing teeth is a sore spot with me....

4 easy-paced miles on the TM this morning watching Transcendence.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Good still just barely mornin' all!

Holly, I am easily led to feel guilty (maybe being Italian Catholic......) so now I feel guilty because I know I should take the furry girls in for cleaning.  Please feel virtuous for having done so for your Max.

Jay, that's awful about the sloppy report.  I'd be angry.  Too bad you can't take them to task someway.  I hope you at least informed them of the error of their methods.  Yuk--that's a real bad feeling, in a meeting without the support you think you have.

...........I thought Steve might comment on the little poster I included in yesterday's post to you.

I think it's time for me to stop confessing about running slow in the ams and just start picking it up a bit.  So that's my New Year's resolution.  So 6 again, but faster than the ones Mon, Tues, Wed.  this week.

Hope you get in that run today Erika.

More bad weather PNW friends, alas......thinking of you all.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

. . .  the conclusions reached are not, in fact, supported by the facts provided. 

How is that even possible?  Did they not read their own researched facts??

Poor Max!  Wilson sends his condolences.  He had a couple of teeth pulled this year and it makes eating a bit of an issue . . . although you would know it by his girth . . .

An hour of core/ST for me this a.m.  I'm surviving the Week of Gluttony here at work . . . barely . . .

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

that's a great story about your dad you shared yesterday Leslie. it's a fine example of 'little things' that stick in our memories. I think so often we get caught up in creating big moments to create those future memories for our kids, friends, etc. to look back on some day, but in reality it seems more often than not, it might be small gestures, things done, things said, that stick with us over the years and teach the biggest lessons. 

just returned from another visit with my chiro - a little stretching, pushing, massaging to get things in place and work out tight areas, then it was off to his rehab/workout room and imagine my disappointment when I spent 10 minutes practicing how to properly sit down and get up from a chair and how to properly bend over and stand up. who would have even thought I could be messing such a basic move up. now I really feel like an old person. sheesh.

Tammy

...yeah, that was a Wonderful Thing to do leslie, I enjoyed reading it.....

...hitting the 20s tonite....

..........luckily it hits the 60's next week

but it's

the LOW 60s.........

.....................sorry, couldn't say that and keep a Straight Face..........

============

......but I digress......

20-min NordicTrak

and

40-min Poolrun, nb, cf, ris

...................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

evanflein

Evanflein, I sure wouldn't want the day you had yesterday to be a 'typical' day, even for a short while! Putting in those hours, it's no wonder you had no time for a run.

Says the guy that puts in incredible hours of his own and gets up at Jay-o'clock (most days) to get his workout in....

Leslie, I meant to say yesterday how touching that was about the sign. Your dad made a difference in a lot of people's lives. We should all be so blessed.

Holly, Abby had several teeth pulled a couple summers ago, and apparently there was a piece left behind that caused an infection and all sorts of complications. She stopped eating, lost too much weight too fast and developed "fatty liver disease" which apparently isn't uncommon in overweight cats when they lose too fast. She ended up on a feeding tube for a couple of months. She still has mouth issues but we're not having any more teeth pulled. She's 16 now. and can keep whatever teeth she has left. But they pull them because of resorptive lesions causing the teeth to be resorbed (dissolved by the body, essentially) and it can be very painful. No treatment other than pulling. Not sure of the cause. Very weird. Our vet said the incidence has been increasing and they suspect it's a common additive in cat food, but I can't remember what she said it was. Hope Max is feeling better soon!

Tammy, it's amazing how something we do all the time so casually can cause so much trouble. My issue a couple years ago was sciatica, brought on by poor core strength and slouching!

It's a little warmer today (currently 5° and overcast) and I'm planning on an afternoon run. Our building holiday party or "open house" is later this afternoon so I need to be done by then.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

jay - no need to go to any meetings tomorrow (friday) as,

in the middle of an all day one I have to attend,

I have to go to another one.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

interesting...meeting cross training as well.

SteveP