Masters Running

Good Nutrition Strivers for February (Read 203 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Well, my Friday weigh-in has me at exactly the weight I was right after Christmas – no gain, no loss, still a few lbs higher than I feel comfortable with, in spite of running 50+ miles/week. However, I’ve discovered that when you are running that much, it can be difficult to lose weight. I find that if I don’t eat enough when I’m doing this higher mileage I am so exhausted that I feel like crap, with that all-over-exhausted-vibration feeling. Know what I mean? So, I guess I’m hanging in a weight-maintenance phase right now. Plus, (TMI Alert, TMI Alert) my doctor put me on a BCP (Yaz) a couple months ago to regulate my cycles, and I think I may be retaining water because of that. Of course, I think retaining water may a good thing for a distance runner. But, let me share a new taste treat that I am enjoying: Lipton’s White Tea with Blueberry and Pomegranate. Yum! And a friend just showed me an article that said that white tea has more antioxidants than other teas, including green tea. How’s everyone else doing on their healthy eating/weight loss goals?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

seemomgo

Well, I certainly am not losing the weight I need to. Too much snow and ice - coupled with a wicked sinus infection...makes for a very lazy Seemomgo!! On the flip side, I am trying to eat better. I am really watching for all of those foods with all of the added sugars. Tea is one of my favorite things! I will have to try the one you mentioned! I drink tea all day long - (decaf of course!)
      evanflein

Hey Holly, I was just thinking about this thread the other day. I'm actually down a couple of pounds since New Year's so that's a good thing, but it sure hasn't been easy. I'm hungry all day, and have the best weigh ins when I go to bed a little hungry. But... I've been thinking... I've always thought I'd run better at a lighter weight... that this extra 10 is bad for my knees, hips, etc. But how does that explain the best running year of my life (2007) with no injuries and PR's all over the place, at a higher weight? My recent string of six monthly marathons with 5 BQ times... all at that higher weight. So, whatever. My biggest problem at this point is that I have one pair of jeans and two old "fat pants" that I can wear... and I refuse to buy more! DH is much happier with me a little heavier. He says I'm too bony at what I think is my ideal weight. So... the question is, I guess... what's the deal? ETA: my "find" to make it easier to drink more water, and make it feel like you're getting a treat too, is the little single-serve packets of instant teas. The one I have now is by Crystal Light, the Honey Lemon Green Tea packets. Add them to a bottle of water, shake them up and you've got a nice treat that's a lot cheaper than buying the tea all pre-made in the bottles.
          My weight loss is a mixed bag. I am happy to be down 20 lbs (to 190) but have not been in the best health. I haven't exercised in 2 weeks and once in the last 3 due to pneumonia. I have been eating very well. I found a website that has also been helpful: www.mindlesseating.org. all the information there is based on research.
            Erika - I made the same discovery. I keep a half dozen different flavors in my desk at work and just bring cold bottled water with me in the morning. I love the Lipton peach-flavor. They essentially weaned me off a 30-year habit of drinking mostly diet pepsi for breakfast lunch and dinner.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

thansk for the new thread Holly!! i'm actually down 3 lbs since i ran the disney1/2 marathon - very happy about that - there are a group of nurses i work with doing a Biggest Loser challenge and they all put in $60 at the start with winner take all at the end of 12 weeks - well the funny thing is even those of us not in the challenge are losing weight because there is so much less junk food around at night!! i love those flavored drink packs too - i find most of them are too strong for the amount of water they recommend (16oz) so i bring in my nalgene bottle that holds a litre of water and mix a pack into that and sometimes dilute it even more - definitely helps to keep me drinking my water during the night shifts my favorite is Crystal Light cherry pomegranite - supposed to have extra antioxidants to boost your immunity - i just love the taste my goal - to lose 2 more lbs before the hyannis 1/2 on 2/24 then work on the next 5 after that!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika and Sue - I need to try some of that. We have a filtered water machine here, and that could replace my afternoon cup of coffee (on the days when I don't need the caffeine). Where do you find it, by the Kool Aid and Crystal Light? Or by the coffee and tea?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

my favorite is Crystal Light cherry pomegranite
                  OMG - I think I just got heart palpatations - this could be my new favorite.... Smile

evanflein

I think it's usually stocked by the powdered drink stuff (not coffee/tea aisle). My favorites are the orangey/lemony flavors. There's also a raspberry lemon that I can't find often. I've never seen the pom... I'll have to look for that one. I'm sure our selection here is pretty poor compared to larger markets. Hey d4b, I bet if I put some $$ in a pot with others, that would kickstart my commitment! What a good idea... Hmmmm... maybe even with myself but I'd have to think how that would work. And I use the 20 oz bottles because I agree the mixes are a little too strong for the 16.9 bottles. Seemomgo, I hope you're feeling better! You too craneium. Being sick is no fun. At. All. Sue, good for you for kicking that diet pepsi habit... even though calorie free, I think all those sodas are evil. Anything with that much phosphoric acid in it can't be a good thing... I'm back to journaling my food intake, and again I see that my problem is eating too much too late at night. Last night DH and I stayed up too late talking about my upcoming relay, and prowling around on the internet together, and I was munching on popcorn and stuff... eegads. Got to knock that off! I just loooove popcorn, though....
                      lol Holly - i get my crystal light in the supermarket - just tricky finding it - sometimes in the flavored water section - other times there's been a whole separate section of boxes of water packets - last time it was in an end cap at the end of the snacks or frozen food aisles and - i just weighed myself again - and it's actually a 4lb weight loss - i was afraid to say 4 because i thought it crept back up a lb, but now i've weighed myself 3 separate times in the past week and half and i've been at 131 - still way too much for me but it's a steady loss since jan 1 so i'm happy!! i've also tried cutting back on getting on the scale - i was obsessed and getting on every day - now just stepping on it 2 (well maybe 3) times/week and because this is about good nutrition and not just weight loss i really have been adding more fruits/veggies in my day and way less junk food at night - altho the popcorn did me in last night too - kettle corn popcorn while i was on the computer - bad bad bad erika - i considered going in on it for the motivation too, but some of these girls are really big and if they stay motivated and lose the weight there is no way we could lose more body fat than them - but the key is IF they stay motivated which i really hope they do!!

denise