Masters Running

Wednesday, July 9 Runs, Walks, etc. (Read 628 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Hmmm, do I dare start the thread, risking parallel universes? 6.75 slow and easy (ave 10:50) miles for me today in a muggy 70 degrees. What’s with the cement geese lawn ornaments? Is this just an Ohio phenomenon? People actually buy clothes for these things, matching dresses and bonnets, and park them on their porches. And another one, a 3-foot-high statue of a child, with the head missing, and people put flowers where the head should be. Am I the only one who thinks this is kind of sick? Confused Happy Wednesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

4 easy for me this morning. Seemed like double the usual number of other runners out there this morning. No cement geese around this part of Michigan, but I did see a funny episode of "Still Standing" built around the concept of making clothes for the geese and selling them at a flee market. They were making good money at it too.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Glad you got another run in Holly...how was the pain level? I guess as long as you can run slower, it is a lot better than not being able to run at all Smile. Nice easy 4 miles Dave...all I think about with geese is all the poop they leave all over running and cycling trails around here...never heard of statues and clothing them Roll eyes Hope you have a nice run Bob..and avoid the storms and lightning... Hey, I think I am rich as I got the Email yesterday at home: Dear Friend, Hope all is well with you and your family? I hope this mail meets you in a perfect condition. I am using this opportunity to thank you for your great effort to our unfinished transfer of fund into your account due to one reason or the other best known to you. But I want to inform you that I have successfully transferred the fund out of my bank to someone else account who was capable of assisting me in this greatventure. Due to your effort, sincerity, courage and trust worthiness you showed at the course of the transaction I want to compensate you and show my gratitude to you with the sum of $750.000.00 (Seven Hundred And Fifty Thousand United States Dollars) I have authorized the finance house where Ideposited my money to issue you international certified bank draft. The name and contact address of the Person with your Cheque is as follows: Name: Mr Nelson Paul Email:compesationsec.2008@googlemail.com At the moment, I m very busy here because of the investment projects which myself and my new partner are having at hand. Finally, remember that I have forwarded instruction to the finance house on your behalf to send the bank draft to you as soon as you contact them without delay. Please I will like you to accept this taken with good faith as this is from the bottom of my heart. Thanks and God bless you and yourfamily. Hope to hear from you soon. Best Regards, Mr Nelson Paul Brother, do some people actually fall for this stuff Roll eyes 4 easy recovery miles last night getting ready for my mid-week long run tonight with speed work on the track...I love track workout because it takes me back in time , when I ran track in High School. Hope everyone has good runs and a great Hump Day Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Brother, do some people actually fall for this stuff Roll eyes
          You have no idea how many people actually fall for these and so many other scams that are out there. Working in law enforcement I see it all the time and you would be surprised at who some of the people are that fall for these things...it really makes you wonder. Confused I've got 6 - 8 easy miles on the schedule for later today. Temps are supposed to be in the upper 80's to lower 90's with thunderstorms late this afternoon into this evening. Hopefully I can get my run in without interefernce from thunderstorms, I don't mind the rain so much as the lightning! Shocked Good runs all. Edited to correct spelling...duh!
            Hey Tim, don't fall for that email scam. I do have some property for sale down here just east of the beach. Beautiful views of the ocean. A steal (literally) at $250,000 per acre. I have many acres available. 6 slow and easy Magic Healing miles at 10:03 min/mile pace to step back from yesterday's Intervals. Warm at 81F and 81% at 5:30 AM. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Renee the dog

Hey Tim, My Dad is one of those guys who would read the email and believe! I read a report a few years ago that said basically, as we age, we lose the "b.s." bit that can detect the concept of scam. Since my Pop was an accountant and a city boy, he generally had (HAD) a good "b.s." bit. No longer. I have no idea how accurate the report was, but it sure made sense in my father's case. And helped me not have my head explode when he would call me at 10 p.m. and tell me conspiritorially, "Hey. I think I just came into a lot of cash..." Confused For the 5th time...and 6th time.... No running for me yet today. Waiting to get a text from my babysitter to see if/when I get to go today. Hope it's not a rest day...dog needs the run as much as I do!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Good morning, all! Holly - I think the geese are a Midwest thing. I've seen them in Michigan, Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas, etc. I haven't seen the child statue you describe. Hey Mainerunnah - are there in trout in your Saco River??? No run for me today. I forgot to take a rest day last week, so I thought I'd better get one in this week. 70 minutes of core work and weights this morning. I had a nice "girls night out" last night - we went to the Connecticut Defenders doubleheader - drank beer and ate hot dogs and watched a little bit of the games between conversations. The front row seats behind home plate were probably wasted on us, but I wanted a ledge to perch my beer bottle ;-). I think I'm behind the times - when did they start putting beer in plastic bottles?!!! Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

DickyG

What’s with the cement geese lawn ornaments? Is this just an Ohio phenomenon? People actually buy clothes for these things, matching dresses and bonnets, and park them on their porches. And another one, a 3-foot-high statue of a child, with the head missing, and people put flowers where the head should be. Am I the only one who thinks this is kind of sick? Confused
                  Oh man, that IS sick...jeez! Around here you see some pink flamingos in the yards, but not geese...they're all over on the 17th hole at the club pooping on the fairways...and I do recall that "Still Standing" episode where they were dressing up the geese and trying to sell them at yard sales. Let me answer a couple questions about Peachtree...then I have to run to some meetings this morning...I'll post some more this afternoon after I get in a run. Holly: Yeah...jumping is (unfortunately) common practive at the Peachtree. You don't get a tee shirt untill you finish and it's a prized possession...the Atlanta Journal-Constitution has a contest where you can enter a design for the shirt, 5 finalists are chosen, & the public votes...you don't know the winning design until you get your shirt at the end of the race. Veterans commonly make quilts, etc. out of their shirts...so some folks will go to any lengths to get one. The jumbers just mingle with the approximately 300,000 spectators and jump in when they feel like it. As you're running, you can see them with their bibs on lining the side of the road. With such crowds, I guess there's not much you can do about them. Mainerunnah: Wow...had completely forgotten the name "Rosie Ruiz"...you're 100% right. Wildchild: Regarding Peachtree bib numbers....If your bib has 4 digits or less, that puts you in the superjock group...I forget what your qualifying time has to be, but probably sub-40 I'm guessing. If your bib, has 5 digits, you are placed in one of 9 time groups...groups 1-4 must submit certified qualifying times...group #1 have the fastest times, etc. You can tell your group # by the first digit on your bib. Anyone without a certified qualifying time is randomly placed in groups 5-9. Casual walkers are placed in #9 but real racewalkers like Jay would be put in higher groups. Many folks ask for group #9...by far the coolest group. They are always led by Clark Howard, the syndicated radio host...that's where you find the runners in costumes, the marines running in formation, all the Uncle Sams, etc. Before the race, all the promoters are back in #9 handing out coupons, tee shirts, beer (yes, beer at 7:00 A.M!), etc. Only the superjocks and time group #1 runners get timing chips...everyone else is sorta on their own. So you can't use the Peachtree as a qualifier for next year's race unless you're in group #1 or higher. DickyG

King of PhotoShop

I appreciate all of you who so kindly asked for an update following my doctor visit yesterday. I am very encouraged about what I learned, although at first you might not think so. Here is the situation. I visited the cardiologist yesterday morning after asking if I could be squeezed in and not wait for the stress test on the 18th as I was very worried about this fatigue and light-headedness during my runs and other people besides you have been nagging me not to run and to get into the doctor. Thank you all for pushing me on this. The dr. looked at the recent EKG and blood work, and listened to my heart of course, and then reviewed last year's stress echo. He recommended I eliminate the HCTZ I was taking for BP. "I have many athletes as patients and I would never prescribe a diuretic for high BP to an athlete who is losing fluid." And he didn't think my recent BP was that bad. I have been tracking it and showed him the recent scores. And in his office where my past BP has been high, it was pretty low. I gave up caffeine last week, with many aches and pains through that, but I am trying to do the right things. He also said that he didn't need a stress/echo as he was pretty sure he knew what he wanted to look at, and asked me to come back after lunch for a standard echogram. This is the kind of test where they rub the greasy ball around on your skin and you can see your heart on the TV. My wife was with me on both these visits to remember what questions to ask and then remember the answers! The dr. came back in and ran the test results on a monitor so he could show me and teach me what I was looking at. It was very obvious to see: my aortic valve is almost completely closed due to thickening of the wall around it and calcification. It is so tight that the pressure it exerts squirts exiting blood at some very strong rate. Think of putting your finger over a garden hose and making the water go farther. He showed me the numbers on the screen and what baseline and danger numbers are and mine are very bad. No wonder I am not able to run without getting fatigued. He told me he will consult with his colleagues but I should have surgery right away or certainly this year. This would be open heart and they would replace the aortic valve with a new artificial (metal) or synthetic (organic, bovine material) one. The advantage to metal is that it lasts forever but I would have to take a blood thinner (Coumadin sp?) all the time. The synthetic one lasts quite some time but may have to be replaced at some point. I have to schedule this at a time when I can be out of work for 6 weeks and that is mid-November based on my work calendar, but next week I go in for a "left-right catheterization" so they can pinpoint the specifications and pressures more accurately. This is just a one-day procedure and I go home that day. As to asking him if I could run, I don't want to tell you his exact words, but he said that yes I could if I ran with a friend and a cell phone. That was enough for me. I have to say that when he drew the graphic on the screen with his pointer of the normal width specifications of the aortic valve next to my aortic valve it was only then that I realized there is something wrong with me. You should also know, before you advise me to do this, that after the cath procedure and we have all the data, my wife and I will tell the cardiologist that we will ask for another opinion, which I think is the right thing to do with a serious matter like this. It is funny about running over a period of years. I have always been a pretty decent runner and even now at 61 it is hard to remember that just a year ago my running buddy and I ran a fiveK under 21 minutes and I did that again at my club's "Hound Dog Hustle: in April of 07. I thought I was Superman. It must be a guy thing. But I can't hide from the facts. I have just not been able to run this year at any speed, slowly going from 9:30's, to 10 minutes a mile and then to 10:30's. I just couldn't figure it out and attributed it to heat or the mileage buildup. There is no reason to be down over this, as the doctor said to me, "There is nothing wrong with you other than this. You are a very healthy man. Your blood is good, you're in great shape, you don't have diabetes. You will sail through this procedure." So it's time to put running aside and think of my family now and do what is best. If I don't elect to have this taken care of, I risk having an episode when I least expect it, alone on the road in a hotel room or worse, and I can't do that to my family. So I will keep you posted and I will continue to go out to my club, but walking is the indicated exercise from this point forward. Thank you for supporting me during this worrisome period. At least now I can look forward to fixing this the right way and leading a normal and healthy life, which by the way, includes logging on here and making sure I keep everyone else on the up and up and the wimmin faithful to me. You know, thinking of the glass as half full, when I woke up this morning, I thought that if I had not been a runner, I might never have noticed these symptoms, because when you run, you always have performance benchmarks to measure. Others don't always have it as good as I do, and they often don't have caring friends like you. Spareribs
                      Just read Spareribs post for today. I feel horrible for even mentioning my trivial problems, so I'll save them for another time. Spareribs, I'm sure you're relieved/scared about your results. At least now you have pinpointed the problem and know how to proceed. Good luck, and we'll keep you in our prayers as you decide what to do. Jeanne
                        It was going to be an easy 5 miles today. But my TP (one of the nation's top female AG distance runners) decided otherwise. Dead Given her racing success it is hard to argue with her views regarding what I should do pre-race so . . . Other than her potty break the mile splits were at a touch over 8:00 minutes each. For me and in this humidity that was not what I would call easy! Hopefully though it will help on Sunday! BTW if anybody wants a winning lottery ticket I have one for sale for just . . . oh never mind. Big grin What nonoruns wrote makes a lot of sense though. If you look at news reports of people who have fallen for these scams they are often elderly. Now, it could just be that older people are more willing to admit on TV they acted like idiots but it could be that they end up as the primary fall guys too. I am pretty busy today so for the moment I will just wish everybody a good day running. I saw the post by Spareribs after mine went up so I wanted to add: Spareribs best of luck going forward. I totally agree you should get a second opinion. Let me add that you should see if you can find a cardiologist that has had some experience with athletes (I obviously have no idea if your first one does). As my wife found out it can make a huge difference in the diagnosis and ultimate treatment that gets recommended. If you have the names of a few people I can help see if they have ever published anything in the area if you like. Given your overall shape I am sure you will come out of this just fine. Finally, I suspect that you are right about being an athlete helping in the detection of serious diseases. A friend of mine developed what is apparently known as a Grade IV brain cancer a few years ago. It was detected unbelievably early because he was skiing. As of now he may very well be the longest living survivor in the world with his particular form of this disease. Compare what has happened to him with somebody else I know who was diagnosed with the same disease and then passed away just six weeks later. All I can say is that being active helps our lives in more ways than we may ever know.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

..tim//.....so you're saying I may NOT actually own The Brooklyn Bridge?? .......that explains a lot..... =========== .......120min hike today................ ..............good running to the rest of ya........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Spareribs, what an incredible post. You are an amazing guy in many ways. Just by posting this you have done a great service to this community. We'll be more knowledgeable should something similar occur to us. You're doing what is right and you will decide on the course of action that is right. If you post this on KR, I'll be watching for dtoce's response to it. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Wow, that's quite a story, Ribs. Looks like you have some decisions to make, but the long-term prognosis sounds about as good as you could expect. I agree with you that being a runner could literally have saved your life; as runners (or other types of athletes), we are good at monitoring our bodies and have a feel for when something's not going right. Still, any type of surgery -- let alone the open-heart variety -- carries some risks. We will all certainly be there with you in our thoughts when the time comes. And considering the way that they get people up and moving soon after any operation these days, we'll expect your first RR within a short time of your procedure. This is also the kind of thing that really focuses you on what's most important in your life. You have a dedicated family and close circle of friends, and that also bodes well for a favorable outcome. Best wishes for you always!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Dave59

Well Ribs - you got my hands sweating while reading that. But it's great you get to pick the time to get it done and not have it be an emergency procedure. Just another reason to get and stay in shape.