Masters Running

Recommended Garmin for a low volume runner? (Read 320 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I know this has probably been covered a few times before, but I'm being a little lazy and not looking back. Sort of a dual question. Santa was very nice to me this year and I have some cash in hand to spend on frivolous things, like for instance a Forerunner. I don't run many miles but I think I'd try out more different routes if I didn't have to go to Map My Run to figure out each new one. I'd also like to get an idea of what my HR might be, as I have a feeling I'm not pushing anywhere hard enough on most of my runs. anyway, the 301 looks like it has what I need without going all the way to the 305 or 405. Is this what most people have experienced? Right now I'm at 50 miles/month, but I'm hoping to get to 60+ over the next few months. 2nd part of the question -- what would you expect to pay for one, and is using Ebay a reasonable way to get one? they seem to be available for around $150 or less. Thanks for any and all input. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mariposai

stumpy, my running life evolved after I got my garmin. She (i call mine garmina, a she) can help you do your slow runs slow and your tempo runs at the exact tempo pace. I don't think mileage has anything to do with how useful the garmin can be. Enjoy your gift!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I'd go for the 305 as opposed to the 301 because it's smaller, but more importantly more accurate. The 305 also syncs up faster, if I remember correctly. I don't like the 405 because it's too small and doesn't show as much information. If you're looking to save money, the 205 is the same as the 305 but without a heart rate monitor. I like the extra data, but I'm a metrics junkie. I think $180 sounds about right for the 305 but haven't looked at this for a while so maybe they're cheaper now.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Renee the dog

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

What they said ... Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

spacityrunner

Step away from the 301....(problems with accuracy) the 305 rocks!!!!! Big grin I love my garmie.......

Trails Rock!

TammyinGP

'timely' question Stumpy - thanks! I have $50 in amazon credit just sitting there and was thinking of getting a garmin also.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Oh, the joy and freedom to just take off anywhere, in any direction, with abrupt changes of mind for bodily needs or just passing fancy, and yet, to know (reasonably accurately) how far you've gone, and at what pace - what a difference it can make! Good luck and have fun when your toy arrives... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

i love the 305 too -- i'm not fast or long distance but just being able to run and know what i've done or what i'm doing instead of having to drive my route later is so fun!! it really makes a huge difference!!

denise

King of PhotoShop

The Saint mentioned to me that Costco has a great price but I have no details. You might want to check that out first. Spareribs
                      TheSaint

The 305 is $159.99 at Costco right now.
                          Stumpy - I bought the 301, but I wish I had sucked it up and bought the 305. Not only is it smaller - more like a watch - but it also is suppose to track better in trees, tall building area, etc. My 301 does a crappy job of tracking in these areas. Also, my running improved greatly once I started training by heart rate, and I wish I had been doing it from the get go. When looking for either one, I've always found the best prices on Amazon. Not sure I'd want to spend that kind of money on one that used (eBay) with no warranty in case something goes wrong.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Thank you all for the great input. Looks like the 305 is the way to go. Now all I have to do is screw up my courage to spend that much on myself Shocked Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Renee the dog

The 305 is $159.99 at Costco right now.
                              I'm so envious of these tales from civilization! Wink Stumpy, you are worth it. As is your running. (still using a 201 myself.... Blush )

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Maybe another vote for the 305 will help you to splurge on yourself. I love mine and I'm a lower-volume (and much slower) runner than you. My HRM was screwy yesterday - it was registering 191(!!!!!) during my pre-run warm-up walk, and it took a long time to go down, even after I pulled it away from my chest. Other than that, it's a fun little running toy, er, I mean tool. Happy trails, Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com