Masters Running

Big Sur Trail (aka Dirt Road) Marathon (Read 317 times)

Finally pulled a report together, such as it is.  If you're interested, you can read it here: Big Sur Trail Marathon

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Wow, Leslie, that sounds brutal... I rarely run in heat like that (same as you!) so not sure I'd be able to finish at all. Cross that one off your list, eh?
      wildchild

Carolyn

I'm also a heat wuss - totally sucks the energy out of you.  At least a real trail marathon probably would have had some shade, but an exposed dirt road marathon sounds awful.  Oh, well, better than asphalt on a hot day.

You sure are tough. I guess you'll have to be if you're gonna go for that 50 miler next spring!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Maniac 505

WOW

sounds like a brutal race  congrats on surviving

I keep wondering if I was just a wuss, but I remember the looks on so many of the faces.  Incredibly, the guy who won the whole thing did it in less than 4 hours.  Ho-ly cow!   Because we had to double back a couple of times, he passed me 3 times and always looked like he was out for a nice Saturday run through the park.

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

The race from Hell.  Glad you are OK, and are strong and  in good health.    Thanks for the race report.

Renee the dog

Some folks love the heat.  Then there's the normal folks!   You finished, and that's amazing!!!!  Congratulations!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Wow, fatozzig, that was one nasty race.  The hills would have been bad enough but the heat sounds really awful.  Congrats on toughing it out.

TomS

Wow, I am so sorry about the intense heat and the loss of joy during this race (never mind loss of fluid and everything else). You are amazing and toughed it out on a nasty day.  You are no wuss!

I love your blog.

Wow!  Very tough run...brutal.
                      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                      Slo

I keep wondering if I was just a wuss, but I remember the looks on so many of the faces.  Incredibly, the guy who won the whole thing did it in less than 4 hours.  Ho-ly cow!   Because we had to double back a couple of times, he passed me 3 times and always looked like he was out for a nice Saturday run through the park.

Yea your a wuss.

Seriously.....Brutal race......way to go !  I'd say it takes great fitness and some strong mental toughness to get you thru a race like that. Very well done ! 

Tramps

Ouch.  You are one tough cookie to persevere in those conditions.  (I'm a heat-hater, too.)  Give yourself some time to recover from this.

Be safe. Be kind.

jfa

Wow Leslie- way to tough it out.You did Great just finishing that one.Not only will that kind of heat suck the life out of you, but to be in the direct sun the whole time is brutal! It's been said before but worth repeating, you're One Tough Cookie!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

dear ziggie,

You may not appreciate/realize it until later, but there’s not much better training in only 26.2 miles for an upcoming 50-miler that an incessantly hilly, oppressively hot marathon distance with skimpy aid.

You survived it just fine and that’s what you’ll do for 50-miles too.

ps - mine was 102 degrees two weeks before but no hills at all.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

ps - mine was 102 degrees two weeks before but no hills at all.

102?!?   I probably would've just laid down in the ground and said, "Shoot me!"

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance