Masters Running

Race Reports for April 22/23 weekend (Read 26 times)

Mariposai

:

This weekend's racers

04/22 TammyinGP - Lost Creek Trail Run 30k, Prospect, OR

04/22 Catwhoorg - Glow it up Blue 5K  (Despite being a glow run its a fast course and so I am going for a PR)

04/22 spinach - Earth Day Half Marathon, St Cloud MN

Good luck racers! Believe in your training, run well, take pictures and come back to tell us all about it here!!!

Ohh and don't forget to post your race pictures!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

TammyinGP

Today I ran the Lost Creek Trail Run 30K. there is also a 5K (that David won in 2014) and a 50K. I'm good with the 30K though. that's challenging enough for me. 

This race runs around Lost Creek Reservoir, about an hour 15 min from my home, and is mostly trail but does have a couple miles of pavement also. about 2300 ft in elev gain (compared to 4600 for the 50k! - see, that's why I am good with the 30K!). 

Fashion, or lack thereof: cottage grove HM tshirt, nike tempo shorts, Feetures compression sox (thanks Ribs!), and my Asics Gel Nimbus, that are now covered in mud. 

Weather today was ideal for this race. Started at 9:00 a.m. and was probably low 50's and partly sunny, but got more cloudy as the day went on, which was fine because it was feeling pretty warm. I would say about 2/3 of this race is in tree covered terrain, so that is nice also. 

The RD for this race is an ultra runner and he knows how to stock an aid station: pickles, bacon, gummies, pretzels, grilled cheese, soup, trail mix, gu's, oranges, bananas -  I'm sure there was more but that's what stands out in my memory. There are 3 aid stations and I pretty much stuck to gummies and sour patch kids and gatorade. As good as the other food looked, i knew I'd regret . I did have a fig newton at the final aid station when I had 4 miles left to go because I was getting hungry at this point. another cool thing about this race is you get to run over the dam, which is always closed, so that's pretty cool to see the lake on one side and dam feeding into to the Rogue River on the other side. They have been letting water out of the reservoir because we got so much rain this winter, so it was full on rushing when we ran over it. 

I did some walking in this race, as I knew I would. My long run leading up to this was 14 miles, so I was a bit underprepared to cover almost 19 mile on challenging trails, but that just mean I got to enjoy the day more.  I don't know official time, but my watch was at 4:04 although I know it paused at times when I was either taking pictures or stopping at the aid stations, so I bet I was closer to 4:15. 

Here's a few pics:

Image may contain: sky, cloud, mountain, tree, outdoor, nature and water

Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor, nature and water

some parts of this trail were super-muck because of all our rain. One time I thought the mud was taking my shoe as a prisoner as my foot almost came right out of my shoe.

Image may contain: sky, mountain, cloud, outdoor, nature and water

Tammy

Mariposai

What an stellar performance, Tammy. Those pictures are amazing!!! Nice race and great finish time for your trail race. I am so proud of you!!!

BTW, when are we running a marathon together?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Dave59

Great race. I'd like to run over the dam. That sounds like fun.

spinach

My half marathon went well. I was a little apprehensive about it since I hadn't run further than 8 miles nice July when I hurt my knee and had the two surgeries in the fall semester. I had no idea how it would go.

I felt fairly good and the time was about what I did last year. 1:32:57 and I won the 55-59 age group.  My knee is a little sore today so I will have to think about if I should run the Lake Wobegon Marathon in three weeks.

catwhoorg

Labrat

5k Brief report.

weather was hot and humid (we ended up with thunder and heavy rain by the time we got home), so not ideal.

Form warm up I ran my daughters 1K race, then did a 2nd lap of that course with some brief speed intervals to prime the muscles.

This is a glow run, and there are a lot of kids. The RD is good at walking up just before the gun and getting them moved back off the front row. There are some speedy folks who run these. (winner was in 18:39).

At the gun went off at a good clip, taking advantage of a slight downhill. After about the first half mile settled in at the back of a small group and tried to pace off them. Kept that position for the whole first lap of the course, then worked on moving up through the group on the 2nd lap.

That moving up was more due to people falling off the pace than my picking it up it appears. One younger kid (20 from the results) passed my just before the finish, the advantage of younger legs I guess.

Splits 6:33, 7:10, 6:55

So given the terrain not a terrible shot at even pacing.

Final time (Gun and Chip) was 21:39, good enough for 9th on the day and 2nd in my AG. And also a PR

Lesson learned, pacing 5Ks are hard, I probably need to race them more often to get that sub 21...

Adding at least one to my calendar, maybe as many as 3.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

evanflein

Nice mud run, Tammy! What a beautiful course, well except the mud. The dam would be cool to run over with all the rain you've had. Nice job on the 30k distance!

Spinach, that's a speedy run on a newly redone knee. You are a fast one!

Catwhoorg, yes pacing 5ks is hard. Everyone thinks they're easy because they're short, but I don't agree. There's no forgiveness or making up for mistakes, really. I had a goal of sub-22 for the longest time and just couldn't do it. Finally got a 21:57 and said that's good enough. Now, anything under 24 is good for me and may not see that again.

Nice work, Masters racers!

Marathon Maniac #957

Tammy - what a lovely race!  And that would be my favorite weather as well.  Not sure about bacon during a run - I don't think my tummy could take that.  I do like pickles and quarters of peanut butter/jelly sandwiches on long trail runs.  Well done on not so much training!

Spinach - fast!  Congrats on the 1st AG!

Catwhoorg - fast for you as well!  Congrats on the 2nd AG!  You said this was a Glow Run - did they do it at night?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

pfriese

TammyinGP - I can see why you'd want to slow down, stop, & take some pictures. What a beautiful run & what great pictures. Glad you had a good run around the lake. Thanks for the report & pics.

spinach - Wow, that's a speedy half. Sounds like your knee held up well even if a bit sore post race. Congrats on the AG win.

catwhorrg - pretty speedy for a hot humid 5K. Pacing can be difficult in 5Ks but for being out of practice & with terrain adjustments; it looks like you did just fine. A PR, 2AG, & 9OA.... sounds like you did GREAT to me.

Thanks for the race reports TammyinGP, spinach, & catwhorrg .

Paul

catwhoorg

Labrat

Started at 8:30, when there was just a touch of light in the sky.

Finished in pretty good level of darkness.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Tramps

Tammy--great race over a gorgeous course.... but pickles at the aid stations?  Yuck! 

Spinach--that's pretty amazing that you were able to come back so well after surgery.  Congrats!

cat--5Ks are tough at that speed.  Nice job on the PR!

Be safe. Be kind.