Masters Running

Saturday---peeking cautiously from under the covers to see the SUN---runs, workouts, holidays and fun (Read 318 times)

Good Morning!

I was so cranky yesterday and I thought I better start off on an upbeat note. The sun is out, the birds are twittering (actually yelling at each other since 4 am) and I haven't run yet---perfect combination for starting the daily thread. I'll leave soon to pick up Dr. J for the Northampton 4 on the 4th race.  After that we are going on a picnic/hike and then on to watch fireworks with Super Granny.

Enjoy this day...off I go with a grin on my face

Renee the dog

Morning CNY and Happy July 4th!

Out as the sun came up for 3 recovery paced miles with Renee.  Had 4 hrs sleep and 2 martinis later last night that still seemed to be with me, so there was no way I was doing anything but a slow pace.  Hoping for some nap time with the kids later today to catch up. 

Looks like a good day for 3 beach visits -- after breakfast, before dinner, then fireworks at 10 pm! 

Hope everyone has an enjoyable day!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Thanks for starting the thread today, CNY.  It's been quite a while since I said hi....."Hi!"

Nono...have a great day at the beach beach beach.

Doing the Firecracker 5K this morning.  Will be walking over to the race in about 1/2 hour. 

Happy Fourth of July!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

We knew Cranky-in-NY couldn't stay cranky very long.  Welcome Back!

The plan for this morning called for 13 miles at EZ pace which Coach is targetting 9:44.  I tried as hard as I could to keep the pace slow and easy.  Ended up with 13.45 miles at 9:16 pace.  It was quite H&H so it was a good day to run slow.  I didn't think I could go any slower or it would feel like Recovery pace.

We'll see what Coach thinks of it ...

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

Well,

I had plenty of opportunities to race today.  Right now I'm kicking myself in the butt.  The radar has the entire state lit up in various shades of green with some scattered storms mixed in so I opted out of driving the 50 mins to a nearby 10k.....got tired of waiting for a Tri Training partner to call about joining up for a long bike ride so I struck out for a 7 mile tempo run.

Not a single drop of rain.......right about now I'd be crossing the finish line at the 10k had I gone. No storms developed.

Anyway.....I was cleaning up some emails and thought this was worth sharing. It's from the race director fof the Quad City Triathlon. A Stand Up Guy who survived a stroke......late 30ish / early 40's......who has always had an appreciation for life, a superb athlete and one of Triathlons best ambassodors.

Thank yoy for participating in the 10th annual Quad City Triathlon.

We all want to finish anything we do, especially the triathlon on Saturday morning. I ask that you take a moment to realize how important it is to just be able to start. I mean, how fortunate are you to have the confidence and the ability, as well as the resources, to even think about participating in a triathlon? How wonderful is it that you have put yourself in a position to "start", the ability to stand on the beach in the morning amoung 600 people hoping to finish, but also deep inside realizing that whether you finish or not you will start, and that is pretty cool if you ask me. So when someone asks you, "How was your race?" no matter if you went fast or slow, finished first or last, your results are yours and should only be defined by you. I think a good answer would be, "Fantastic, I started"...

Tomorrow is your day.

Thank you for starting the Quad City Triathlon, It's About To Go Down!

Eric Sarno

Happy 4th All !!!

Race Director

Oh! Yes, another beautiful Saturday morning 57F w/bright blue skies & 75F expected today.  Especially nice after a wet & cool week.  Donated blood thursday, 30 minutes after my 4.5 mile run, & umpired thur. & friday so legs are feeling a little run down. 

Easy paced 5.5 miles 52:25 w/DW.  

Enjoy this great & glorious day.    

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

What a great way to start the day CNY!  Fun plans, run fast.

66° F

82%

14 fun-filled fabulous miles faster pace than last week's 13 miles!

Time to celebrate Independence Day!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

King of PhotoShop

Great post SLO.  For people who always look on the negative side we must always remind ourselves that it is our choice to be optimistic or pessimistic about our running, our life, and everything in it. 

Today is the 70th anniversary of Lou Gehrig's farewell speech at Yankee Stadium.  MLB will remember Gehrig today and the speech will be read at 15 ballparks, to raise awareness and contributions to fight ALS.

Here is the full text of the speech, just 277 words, from this courageous dying man:

"Fans, for the past two weeks you have been reading about the bad break I got. Yet today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth. I have been in ballparks for seventeen years and have never received anything but kindness and encouragement from you fans.

"Look at these grand men. Which of you wouldn’t consider it the highlight of his career just to associate with them for even one day? Sure, I’m lucky. Who wouldn’t consider it an honor to have known Jacob Ruppert? Also, the builder of baseball’s greatest empire, Ed Barrow? To have spent six years with that wonderful little fellow, Miller Huggins? Then to have spent the next nine years with that outstanding leader, that smart student of psychology, the best manager in baseball today, Joe McCarthy? Sure, I'm lucky.

"When the New York Giants, a team you would give your right arm to beat, and vice versa, sends you a gift — that’s something. When everybody down to the groundskeepers and those boys in white coats remember you with trophies — that’s something. When you have a wonderful mother-in-law who takes sides with you in squabbles with her own daughter — that's something. When you have a father and a mother who work all their lives so that you can have an education and build your body — it's a blessing. When you have a wife who has been a tower of strength and shown more courage than you dreamed existed — that's the finest I know.

"So I close in saying that I might have been given a bad break, but I've got an awful lot to live for. Thank you."

Today would be a good day to reflect, do you consider yourself the luckiest person on earth?  We all have much to be thankful for.  Spareribs

Well said SLO and Ribs.

My attitude is all about gratitude most days and today in particular. The race I ran today (Northampton Running Company's 4 on the 4th) supports the Center on new Americans and many brand new citizens run or walk with flags and huge smiles. It's always exciting to see them and today was no different in that respect. One of the women I always see at local races was there today with her 23 year-old daughter. The daughter will be deployed to Afghanistan tomorrow, so mother and daughter ran the race hand in hand the whole way. The applause was tremendous as it should be. 

I was hoping for a 28:40 or even 7:10s today and squeaked out a bit better at 28:33 with my last mile in 6:59 (7:08, 14:19, 21:34--28:33). 5th OA and 1 in the 40-49 age group. 6 miles on the day total as I ran from Dr. J's house as the wu and ran back for the cd.  

Onward and lucky indeed.

dg.

Go Rosie!!!

congratulations Karin!!  

I'm still settling into my new plan, still need tweaking.  (me, not the plan )   Fun at Farmer's Market early, (Aaamy I waited & waited!)  Got sprouts & greens & berries & cherries.  baby squash, green beans & baby cukes.  almost got oyster mushrooms but am not cooking much lately & thought it was stoopid to get them just because they were cool.   Then I went to the gym & did about 45 min. of stuff, 1 set on all the weight machines, (all the ones I use), glute/hammie lifts, calf stuff, russian twists & side planks w/the stability ball.  I did not want to be there!!  5 am is ok, but 7-7:30, seemed ridiculous when it was nice out.  next week i'll go do the weights thursday earlyearly when it's dark.  Will do 2 sets. I picked some of our volunteer black raspberries & dug a little more on the lawn extension.  New plan includes not trashing myself too much on Saturday before Sunday's run.  another 'duh' with slow transmission.

had more to say (as if this wasn't enough but it was tooo much about me) but i have to go. 

hey how did i get this cool small font??

so many nice thoughts today.... thanks.

Happy Birthday, Econo, and many more!!!        Hope you are doing great right now at the Sauvie Island Marathon!   Have tried to track you in on Strands, but stoopid thang doesn't work for me.  Anyone else know anything about Strands?

I'm off to Miller Park to do C25K, still week 5, and work with my heart monitor.

Best of luck to all racers today, and Happy 4th of July      Woodslady

Marathon Maniac #957

Happy 4th of July!

CNYrunner - I can barely imagine you as cranky.  Nice race!

Slo_Hand and Ribs - good messages there.

Econo - Happy Birthday!!

Looks like our annual backyard 4th of July party this evening will be a thunder-stormy event.  As a matter of fact, the only chance for rain in the entire next 10 days’ forecast is during our party. 

Oh well, we’ll still have fun with family and friends, even if the outdoor activities are rained out.  We can hang the piñata in the garage for the kids, which is all DD was worried about, but DH is hoping for a long enough break in the rain to set off the huge arsenal of fireworks he brought home.

14.2 miles for me today – the first 10 outside at a 10:05 ave pace, then the next 4 on the TM with 11:05 as the ave pace.  The planned overeat tonight caused me to go a little farther than my legs had energy, but I kept the pace slow and gentle.

Be safe out there, folks!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Renee the dog

Today would be a good day to reflect, do you consider yourself the luckiest person on earth? 

Put a check in the "yes" column for me.  Absolutely.  Without a doubt.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Just wanted to thank SLO and Ribs for those thoughtful reflections.  As someone who is basically on the DL right now, you should never stop appreciating your ability to just "start".  Or the luck you have by having supportive people around you.

Yesterday I checked out the treadmills at my new club.  I think they are pretty old.  I tried to start one, I was just going to walk for awhile, but I couldn't figure it out.  I hope it wasn't broken and it was just my ignorance.  Some iron pumpers were watching me, I became self-conscious and so I left (to go hang out at the pool with the kids).  Nice thing was that the air conditioning was up pretty high AND fans blowing, so I think once I figure out how to "start" one, I'll be very happy.  It has been very hot and dry here......CNYrunner, send some of that rain this way please!

Today I went for a walk with a few jogs in there.  My balance was much better today than yesterday.  I dislike how much these symptoms fluctuate from one day to the next, but the general trend is a slow improvement.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Hey Ribs!   That's me!   The luckiest person on earth. 

I was all signed up to do a little 2.6 fun run at Monmouth, OR, which is a 2 and a half hr. drive from here,  BUT, it was to start at 11:45 AM at 78 degrees, and move to 83 in an hour.   Hum.  And on a paved road with no shade at all, and a point to point race at that, just before the beginning of their 4th of July parade.  DD1 was to do it with me, but is working on losing big lbs.  So, this 70 yr. old Grandma decided to back out!   I know, you kids out there would't do that, but it seemed to make sense for me.  Besides that, I live at the coast, and it is about 20 degrees cooler here, and I get sun burned quickly. 

So, I instead went to the local park bike path, and did two 10 min. intervals with 3 min. in between, and another big look for kicks at the end, and played with myDH's hear monitor.   Then I went to Subway, and got a tuna half Sub, drank some Gaitoraid, and now am trying to find out how Econo did at the Sauvie Island Marathon. 

Happy 4th, everyone.    Woodslady