Masters Running

Wednesday 9/14/16 It's Still Summer Runs and Workouts (Read 34 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

I am not giving up a day of it!

No run for me today.  I went to the YMCA at 6:00 am and swam laps instead.  I learned today that once across the pool is a length, and down-and-back is a lap. So, today I did 32 lengths, with a short rest break at the end of each to catch my breath.  This is 16 laps, but 32 lengths sounds so much better.

Definitely a good cardio workout.  And this of all days we are out of coffee at work.  I may fall asleep at my desk soon.

How far do you have to swim to do a sprint-tri?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly,  I think a spring is 1/2 mile (16 - 50 meter laps) - You did it!  A super sprint is .25 mile.  The Siouxperman Triathlon in Sioux Center, Iowa is only 6 laps in a pool.

I am glad we are back online too!  I kept checking all day on Monday.  I haven't run since the half on Sunday but plan to do a test run tonight after work.  Turkey Day weekend starts tomorrow and the 10K is Saturday morning at 10.  I don't race for two years and then have two races in the same week!  I guess this is a taper for the 10K but need to get some more training in for Portland if I plan to break my 2:30 goal.

Amy, yes, fall is definitely in the air here too!  Lovely, just lovely.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I've a short 2 mile tonight.

Regarding tris. I can't swim. I can sort of dog paddle on my side. Lol. I'm not terribly fond of cycling either but will occasionally make the 2 mile commute to work on bike.   But the little hill along the route has me struggling every time.  I think i will stick with sucking at just one sport vs three. Lol. All you triathletes are rock stars in my opinion.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

...hi guys.....

well

90s again here ( I love it)

40-min HH with trekking poles (1-lb) and trailboots (2-lbs)

then

40-min PoolRun with belt, cf, ris, paw

........good running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

Because almost all of you are friends on FB I seldom post here, but I have received many kind responses to my post on FB today, and to ensure all of you know what is up with me, yesterday I went in for angioplasty and stents for the two blockages I have in my heart, but that didn't work because the arteries were too calcified.

So here's what I posted today:

"Yesterday, I knew no more than any average person would about rotablation, but here is what it is:

A rotational atherectomy is a type of percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) that uses a revolving instrument, a rotablator, to break up calcified plaque clogging a coronary artery in order to restore blood flow to the heart.

The rotablator is a device inserted into the artery through a tube known as a catheter. Once in the blood vessel, the rotablator spins between 140,000 and 200,000 revolutions per minute. A diamond-tipped burr on the head of the device breaks up plaque inside the artery.

The Dr. is working now with the hospital to schedule this for me asap, as it requires another surgeon to be present, and as soon as it's scheduled I will post.

This is not something I am worried about, nor should anyone else, but I thank you for being supportive. It is great to have friends who care. I just don't want you to worry about it. I am in great shape and as my first heart surgeon told me 8 years ago when I had open heart surgery, "You'll sail through this." And I did. So all will be fine."

I'm scheduled for this procedure at 7 a.m. tomorrow and I'll post how it goes.   Spareribs

evanflein

Just got back from lunch with a bunch of former coworkers and my former boss, the one I left to come up here to HR (back in 1996). This is such a wonderful group of women, and even though I hardly ever see most of them (still see and talk to two pretty regularly), I still feel so close to them it's incredible! We all talked like just weeks had passed instead of years. I do miss them and our camaraderie. Sure don't have that feeling of connection in my current position/office. Three of these women have since retired and another is not working at the university anymore but still working in her field, but we're all still the same group. It was a wonderful time, and now I feel like I really miss them and can't wait to do something like this again! *sigh* It's so wonderful to have close friends at work, I really miss that. Anyhow, back to work....

Good job on the swimming, Holly. You deserve a big atta girl for that.

Lori, you're too funny. It takes a certain talent to suck at everything! (and I'm sure you're just being hard on yourself!)

Go Starr! When you say "Turkey Day," it makes me check my calendar but you're not meaning Thanksgiving!

Because of the lunch date, no pool running today (not sticking around till next lap swim at 7:30), and I didn't think to bring gym stuff for after work. So... I might go home and try a little test run on my dirt road. Since we haven't had rain today (yet), it might not be too muddy. Leg is feeling pretty good, and might be time to see how it handles up to a mile of a slow jog. At least if it doesn't work out, I'll be a short walk from home!

[Ribs posted at the same time I did, so I'll add my best wishes for more smooth sailing tomorrow!]

Good luck Ribs!

3 sweaty miles on my TM with my shirt off and a fan blowing.  Just too warm and sunny outside today to run in the mid-afternoon.  Tomorrow I promise to get my run in before noon.

Anyone read "A house in the sky"?  I read the second half yesterday, couldn't put it down.  I was sobbing at dinnertime discussing the book with my kids.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

ribs, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow morning.  evan, neat get together with your former fellow workers.

Tomorrow morning, bright and early, we're off to Traverse City State Park (Steve's neighborhood) for two. nights.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Ribs you're quite calm. I wish you my best healing vibes.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Marathon Maniac #957

I was sobbing at dinnertime discussing the book with my kids.

Okay - this tells me right now that this is not the book for me.  Life has enough sadness, I prefer my fiction to be exciting or fun or a good mystery.  So, you all know now, if you are going to recommend a book to me, don't make it one that will make me cry, please.

Ribs - sending my best wishes and prayers for quick healing for you.

My vet today has explained that my Max kitty most likely has lymphoma.  We could spend lots of money doing exploratory surgery to confirm, biopsy, consult with oncologist, chemo and radiation, etc. but would most likely only buy a few more months for my 13-14yo kitty (he was a rescue, so we are not sure).  At any rate, I chose instead to pick up some prednisone for him, which should ease his symptoms for a bit, help him get his appetite back and feel better, but ultimately won't extend his life, only help his remaining time feel better.  He doesn't seem to be in any distress right now, just doesn't have an appetite and is slowly getting thinner and thinner.

Max is the first pet I got as an adult, and the first I will have to have put down.  I resisted getting a pet for so long because I knew it would be my responsibility, as mom you get the hard jobs, and that in the end it would be me taking the pet to that final visit to the vet. Alone.  For now, though, I can give him lots of love and try to make his remaining time as nice as possible. It ain't over yet...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Being even older than the ancient one, I'll do all the being scared for Ribs.

Give me bears, tipped over canoes, avalanches, ice breakups, rogue waves,

earthquakes, etc. anything but inside me.  Good luck and thanks for the info.

Growing in erika-land where there was only one private club with indoor swimming pool in the state and it wasn't where either of us lived, and there were none in the schools, I can still side-stroke as fast as I can crawl and have many DGL's (glorious) to my credit.  However, the slower the swim, the more people to pass on the bike leg and even more on the run.  No wonder I like triathlons fo much I've been doing at least one a year since 1978,  If you can find a local, neighborhood tri with people just seeing if they can do it or not and that is not affiliated with a competitive national series, there will be so many slow swimmers galone that you will NOT be last.

Triathlon Classifications

1.  super-sprint:  0.25 m/10-12 m / 5k  (bike distance varies a little)

2.  sprint:   . . . . . 0/50 m/10-12m / 5k (bike/run distances vary greatly)

3.  Olympic. . . . . one mile / 25 mile / 10K4.

Half Iron. . . . 1.2 miles / 56 mi / 13.1 miles (a (stupidly) ka - 70.3)

5.  Ironman . . .  . 2.4 miles / 112 mi / 26.2 miles

6.  Double Iron . . 4.8 miles / 224 mi / 52.4 miles

900 miles for another two weeks in GS-land. Yippee.t

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Holly, I hope the meds help Max feel better. So sorry about his diagnosis (are they sure? why "most likely"?). it's hard to watch them decline, but savor every moment you get to cuddle. It was very hard to let Midnight go, but he sure let us know when it was time. And DH and DS1 were there with me, don't do this alone.

Regarding tris. I can't swim. I can sort of dog paddle on my side. Lol. I'm not terribly fond of cycling either but will occasionally make the 2 mile commute to work on bike.   But the little hill along the route has me struggling every time.  I think i will stick with sucking at just one sport vs three. Lol. All you triathletes are rock stars in my opinion.

+++1!  I can't swim and the last time I tried to ride my bike, I crashed into the bushes twice within a couple of minutes.  Although, I will say I was on a skinny trail . . .. 

Ribs - Good luck tomorrow and lots of prayers!!!

Holly - Have they tried giving Max an appetite stimulant?  They have it for cats.  We had to give it Goofy awhile back when he refused to eat, for whatever reason.  If the prednisone doesn't, a stimulant might.  Just a thought.  Oh, Max, Max, Max.  We love our 4-legged furkids so much!

I've been sick in one form or another since Saturday afternoon when I came down with a touch of the flu.  That's gone away, but I started losing my voice yesterday afternoon and today it's basically gone.  A husband's dream come true!!   I just croaked my way through a conversation on the phone with the young woman who will be housesitting for us in October.  *sigh*  She was very understanding. On the bright side, I didn't have to talk to many clients today!

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

. . . it's hard to watch them decline, but savor every moment you get to cuddle. It was very hard to let Midnight go, but he sure let us know when it was time. . . . don't do this alone.

Words of Wisdom.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Wishing you well tomorrow, Ribs. Don't give the nurses too hard of a time!

((Holly)) Leslie has a good idea there, I would ask the vet.

So,  a while ago I did find a triathlon that is only for beginners! How cool is that? They even have mentors that go with you every stroke, pedal and step of the way if want one. Plus, it is in the Twin Cities, in MikeE's town! What's not to love about that, Holly? There is a June tri and a August tri.  Still thinking......

I had a good run tonight, I did a tempo run with 30 minutes at extra extra effort for me. Sadly, I didn't set the Garmin right so the data is gone. I know I was running 9:45 -10:00 for at least 2 miles though. I stopped to reset the garmin and my leg cramped up so bad! I would have taken a ride home had anyone stopped. I was actually limping along, then stopped to stretch at a street pole. After all that The pain subsided and I finally jogged home.  Now it is taper time for me .

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich