Masters Running

Tribute Thread (Read 511 times)

Friends, another of us has been killed while running. 

Madison, South Dakota: Authorities say 61-year-old Karen Cummins of Madison died at the scene about 6 a.m. Monday when she was crossing state Highway 34 and was struck.

Authorities say Cummins was an avid runner who had competed in more than 70 marathons since 1996, including the Boston Marathon.

Her funeral was scheduled for 11 a.m. Thursday at the United Methodist Church.

While I didn't know Karen well, I have run with her in a number of marathons.  Her daughter, Kirsten, is very close to one of the prosecutors I work with here in the county courthouse, a bridesmaid in her wedding.  

I thought just a few words of comfort to Karen's daughter from fellow runners might help a little bit in coping with her loss.  If you've a few moments, please contribute.  I'll print it out and be sure it gets to her.

Thanks in advance.

Amy

Masters 2000 miles
    HermosaBoy

My thoughts and prayers are with Karen's family!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

coastwalker

Although I didn't know her, I am very sorry to learn of Karen's tragic accident. I hope her family has strength and lots of fond memories of Karen to help them get through this terrible time.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

evanflein

So sorry to hear of this tragic loss. Condolences to Karen's family as they come to terms with this.

Please be careful out on the roads, everyone!

My condolences to you on your loss.  May you gather some solice and peace knowing that she died doing exactly what she loved to do.

Prayers, Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Maniac 505

I'm so sorry to hear this. As a fellow runner My thoughts and prayers go out to Karen's family
                So sad..........will keep her family and friends in my prayers!

denise

SteveP

My prayers go out to Ms Cummins' loved ones.

SteveP

As a fellow runner, my thoughts are with the family at this terrible time.

TomS

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Very sorry to hear this.  Bill took the words out of my mouth - she was doing what she loved.

Hey Rob - please change your caption.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Dear Kirsten,

I am sorry to hear about your mother.  I did not know her but, as a runner, we share that bond.

There are no words to help right now, so please just know that you are not alone.

My condolences to you and your family.

BLB

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Henrun

My condolences to you and your family. My wife and I are both senior runners and appreciate the joy running has brought to our lives. When we're made aware of these tragic accidents we realize how fragile life can be. Remember your mother in the vitality of her life.

My condolences to you on your loss.  May you gather some solace and peace knowing that she died doing exactly what she loved to do.

Prayers, Bill

Amen

So sorry to hear of your tragic loss Kristen.  She sounded like a wonderful person.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Very sad.  All I can think to say at time like this is is sounds like she had a full and wonderful life.  My deepest condolences to the family.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/