Masters Running

Wet Wednesday, 11.16.16 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sorry about the cat fight alarm click, Leslie, but I'm glad you turned it into an early morning indoor bike ride.We have 1 cat, and she usually doesn't fight with herself...

Nice lake-encircling, pre-rain 5K Stumpy. Did you make that split in the 8s?

You sure have some interesting stuff rattling around in your brain, Holly! Good TM 5er.

Good pool run, TW. Travel safely. Sounds like your 'calico-alligator' was a tough cat and a good hunter.

I'm glad you got some chores done, Enke, and that you were fine with the $5 champagne - you can save a lot of money that way!

Can't help you with the running shirt TwoCat, other than to suggest that you dye it the color of the food stain, which I know you won't do.

Good run, and good pace in the snow, Evanflein. I can't believe you're running in snow already...

Good 'feel good' 7-miler, Mariposai. You are busy, aren't you?

Good 3.3 miler, Haller. I hope your 14-hr. shift went OK.

I had a meeting this morning with a non-profit group that wants to start a fundraiser road race. And they asked if I would help. First step was to talk about what is involved in creating a road race, and the finances of the effort. Then I gave them a lot of questions to answer about whether or not going down that road would really help them achieve what they want to achieve. We'll see...

4.3 walking miles this morning, starting in a moderate drizzle that gradually let up.It was still shorts weather, which is absurd for mid-November in these parts. We had rain and wind overnight, and there were lots of leaves littering the landscape, so it is just as well that this was another easy effort. Had a nice chat with the newspaper deliver guy on the way. I'm almost ready to get back to racewalking, but am also feeling a little gun-shy because I don't want to risk finding out that I'm not as well recovered as I hope I am. (Did that make any sense at all?)

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I did--it just happened to be the .1 mile split.  but i was close on another.

step away from the race, Jay.  I think you might have enough of them.

another 3.1 this morning.  Nice warm weather and back to lower speed.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

step away from the race, Jay.  I think you might have enough of them.

+1

No running for me today, just 40 lengths (20 laps) in the pool. I might join some friends at a weights class at the YMCA after work if I can talk myself into it when the time comes.  I start off in the morning with just great expectations of my after-work energy level, but it generally fades on the drive home.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I have a new mantra for myself: "Be Stronger Than Your Strongest Excuse," and I used this a.m. to get my butt out the door.

No cat fight this a.m. and they let me sleep in a bit.  Up and at 'em around 5:00 to feed the Zoo Crew and head out for 4 ez miles in the rain.  I upped my max HR on my Garmin to 140 from 135.  I was still able to mostly run comfortably with my mouth close and breathing through my nose, so I'm wondering if 135 is to low of a max for me.  I read this article and think I should do this test and see what happens.

When I went out this morning, I encountered a couple of guys walking about a block away from our house.  Let's just say they mostly likely weren't walking to work.  I was a few feet behind them with my headlamp on and they turned around and kept asking, "Who is that?"  "Who are you?"  I finally answered, "Just someone out for a morning run" and hitched it on outta there.  I heard one of them say, "That was weird."  My question: For whom?

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

"That was weird."  My question: For whom?

yep, there are strange things done on the morning runs.

Holly - did you ever find an accommodating swim cap for your beautiful locks.

I assume they are the same as in the stores but the ones they give out

for the various age-groups at our local triathlons are usually

uncomfortably tight even on unhirsute men.

Cats
            a PBS special last night focused on the well-known jumping up (and down) ability of the feline family and showed how two domestics in the same household spend a lot of time rubbing their signature odors on the furniture, including by some scratching, while solitaries are much less active.  Good thing they don’t do it the way dogs do.
            Mountain
            I don’t know if it's the same one as for paul’s recent ascent
            of a local mount down there but, like the one from erika-land last week,
            he should know the one featured today’s daily quiz I like on bing.com.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Head Procrastinator

Boy yesterday was busy in here.

Cats, love em and had two, can't stand when it's time to say goodbye and also it's nice not worrying about leaving them when I travel.

Speaking of dogs....oh we weren't? Anyway neighbor got a golden doodle pup and OMG I am in love, So adorable.

Weights yesterday, 4.5 miles today.

~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly - did you ever find an accommodating swim cap for your beautiful locks.

Not yet, but having to stop and yank it down at the end of every length gives me a reason to stop and catch my breathe....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker I can see you do not have much to fill your days with. So by all means, you should you agree to run this new race. If that does not take up enough of your time you could volunteer to direct every race in the New England area. Then maybe expand to the mid-Atlantic. After that arrange a hostile takeover of Competitor Group and run all of the Rock 'n Roll races and then . . . Or you can give yourself a break and tell this well meaning group you are happy to advise them but that is it. You already do way (like way, way) too much in your neighborhood!

Holly S. I am always impressed by people who can swim laps like you did. I find it so boring.

fatozzig glad nothing serious happened while you were out running. Is there any chance the two guys you saw were not up to no good?

I spent an hour on the elliptical this morning. I am sticking to my no running for a month to heal up pledge. At least so far. I do plan to trot the local turkey trot (pretty funny huh?) next Thursday. But that will be my only run. I even turned down an invitation to join my training partner for a run this morning. See I do have at least a little self control.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

I had an entirely unproductive day today....drove out to the cabin to meet a roofer to fix a problem I have there.  The guy cancelled an hour before the appointment.  So I drove back home.  That's 4 hours total of useless driving.  I love my cabin but I should probably sell it in a few years to free up some cash for my kids' college expenses.  But I don't want to sell it.  But it adds stress and work on top of owning a home that needs repairs too.  It's a battle between making an emotional vs a practical decision!  I'm not there yet.

My ex-SIL is always complaining about how bad her allergies and asthma are.  But when her beloved cat died about 6 years ago, she went out and got another one a few months later!!  She KNOWS she is allergic to the fur-ball.

TW - 23 squirrels?  Oh my!  What a predator!  My dog has only killed 2 squirrels and maybe one or two rats.

Finally cooling off a bit this week, should be dry and cool for a run tomorrow.

Erika, 8:11 mile in sloppy snow?  Kudos!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

In addition to their jumping abilities, the PBS special also had a fascinating explanation of how a cat's abundant and long whiskers help figure out a prey's moves almost before they move  However, 23 squirrels seems almost Guinnessesque.

ps jay - maybe just offer to be a senior advisor.

I'm sure they'll never ask you to drop everything to come help out.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Had planned a run tonight, but got home too late and had too much to do. Yes, I realize that's the hazard of running later in the day, but it's a risk I'm willing to take. Ended up studying a lot for the test I need to take tomorrow afternoon, and got home an hour later than planned. So be it. Heading to Anchorage tomorrow for a workshop, exam, and meetings with our health care administrator and committee, home by 9 pm on Friday.