Masters Running

Monday, April 4th 4th run to Mary's Falls (Read 38 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Might has well have a real runner who’s run the two-mile-out-and-back along the lake down to Mary’s Falls now for the fourth day in a row (thereby doubling my entire March mileage) start out the April 4th daily. Thanks.
    Unfortunately get on the plane for reality tonight.
    I always get a window seat view of the coastal mountains

and city lights when landing later on.

No wonder I love flying so much.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

Tet, all your running is going to put me to shame!

I love flying too. Don't do much of it anymore with cost of airfare, but sure enjoyed many many trips when I worked for Northwest Airlines, based out of Seattle. Honolulu was a nice and easy trip for a long trip, provided I planned it right so I didn't get bumped. Even took a long journey to Seoul for a weekend where i spent more time in the airplane than I did in Seoul. Just went for a quick weekend shopping trip. Normally that much time in a plane would be awful, but flying 1st class in the upper deck of a 747-400, with ample room to lie down and many good movies - and back when they actually served good meals to 1st class, made for an enjoyable trip.  Enjoy your flight back!

Yesterday was a perfect summer-like day here. I got some gardening work done and even had to water what I currently have growing in the garden - strawberries, raspberries, spinach and garlic.

Will get in a run after work while David finishes up tennis practice - probably only time for about 3 miles, but better than nothing.

Tammy

tomwhite dragged through a shopping mall counts as torture. Not sure if it counts as running. My advice is to be so surly when dragged that the dragger stops asking you to be a dragee. My DW stopped hauling me off to malls decades ago! We have both been a LOT happier ever since. Flight tips? Get Net Jets. Short of that, prepare for another form of torture as you wind through security and then are stuffed into a miniature seat that will force you to sit bolt upright the entire flight with miniature leg room.

coastwalker you are a tougher man than I am! I would have likely bailed on a race yesterday unless it was a target race. Nice racing on your part.

TammyinGP yesterday I woke up to snow. Today I drove to work in snow. So no, now would not be the best time to mention how nice the weather is where you are. 

stumpy77 a bad weather runner after my own heart!

Holly S. I hope your weather today is better than ours and better than you have had.

enkephalin the new Garmin should be fun. Not sure if it will stop you from running that extra 0.1 miles given its accuracy, but still nice to have even if the distance is off a small bit.

tselbs at stumpy77 mentioned you get selected for PreCheck somewhat randomly even if you have not passed through their process. Various factors seem to increase your odds of being randomly selected. Traveling with someone who has PreCheck seems to help since my DW always gets it when she travels with me. I have Global Entry which comes with PreCheck.

StarrRuns oh what I would give for a day so warm today that it would require a water bottle mid run.

rtravers trees around my town also knocked power out for quite a few people. Not sure it caused their headbands to flip upside down.

Mariposai looking good for your upcoming race madame RD!

Mike E news below!

deez4boyz I see you are a tougher bad weather runner than me too!  I am going to go hang out in a corner looking forlorn now.

tetsujin209 the words love and flying should never appear in the same sentence. I think all that running to Mary's Falls is causing you to become delusional.

Yesterday we caught this little baby mouse. I felt bad hauling it to the tree farm since I think it was too young to make it on its own, although I suspect mom is already at the farm. Poor little thing could barely walk. My DW thought was should make it a pet until it was strong enough to survive on its own. Fortunately, we lack a fish (mouse?) tank for that so off it went.

This morning I did my daily trap check and here is what I found this time.

An empty trap! Yahoo! I might be mouse free at this point!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Slept in, yeah!  Kids are off school this week, so no need to get up early to make their lunches.  Yes, I know they are old enough to do that themselves, but who knows what they'd eat if I didn't do it.

Took the bus today so I could completely rest my legs.  I am looking forward to a good training cycle for this relay in Oregon in June.  It will be 13 weeks of minimum 20-35 miles per week, instead of the only 9 weeks I did before Reach the Beach.  So, hoping I show up to this relay stronger!  I also plan to do most of the last month of runs at the hottest time of day for heat acclimatization.  I hear it can be hot in S. Oregon in June!

And, I did buy a FR 25 purple, like Erika's.  I was a bit annoyed the instructions that come with it are "quick set up" only, and the full manual is on line.  I like to look at the printed manual and go slowly through every feature.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Even took a long journey to Seoul for a weekend where i spent more time in the airplane than I did in Seoul. Just went for a quick weekend shopping trip. Normally that much time in a plane would be awful, but flying 1st class in the upper deck of a 747-400, with ample room to lie down and many good movies - and back when they actually served good meals to 1st class, made for an enjoyable trip.  Enjoy your flight back!

Tammy--I did that trip about 20 years ago!  We had a water plant at a University somewhere outside of Seoul that decided to stop working just before labor day weekend.  none of our field techs were available, so I "volunteered".  Unfortunatley on such short notice, all they could get me was 1st class.  You actually sit in FRONT of the pilots   So I suffered through that and ended up changing a fuse in one part of the gear and came home in time to still have Monday off.  It is a tough way to travel.

Speaking of tough travel, we ended up getting to our hotel about 12:30 this morning, only about 4 hours later than expected.  I did end up getting an extra 1/2 hour of sleep becasue I had to change batteries in my alarm clock and forgot to check AM vs PM.   Woke up to a much brighter than expected room and went into paniced quick dress in order to meet the boss for breakfast.  only ended up about 15 minutes late.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

...after reading twocat's advise,

I'm bringing a BackBrace in my carry-on.........

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-southwest-airlines-new-seats-20150417-story.html

here's what SouthWest CLAIMS their doing.........any comments??

============

70's today

.......55-min hill repeats at city park

hopefully another tomorrow

.....................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

It looks relatively quiet so far today.

Another day of what's starting to look like a routine.  I walked 3 miles this morning and 2 miles this afternoon.  The first one was at a 13;43 pace and the second at a 13:32 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!  Wow, I was chuckling over that answer yesterday, tet--remember exactly where I was when I heard it.  Took advantage of cooler temps, as usually I'm finishing my run by puzzle time.  Yesterday, I was in Lakes Park and enjoying the breeze and running without perspiring and I laughed out loud!  Very fine answer!!

Formidable Jay, wow to the 84th power.

(Sadly, the puzzle for this coming week is way too easy, the one based on easy--if you assign a number to each letter, then you have 5+1+19, or e+a+s and that equals 25, or y, the 25th letter.  SO this week's is a common  5 letter word that follows the formula.  When I got home and checked in with DH, we both had figured it out.)

Sayhey, I know one of you can tell be the source of this quote:

"Always be yourself.  Except if you can be Batman.  Then be Batman."  Seriously, not a puzzle, where's it from?

Getting ready to fly, also.  See you soon Rosie!  I do love meeting up with folks from here.  Y'all are special.

Guess I won't be up watching the NCAA game--it doesn't start until after 9.  There IS another game of another sort that fortunately is a little earlier.....

Be careful out there, all you folks with weather going on--I thought I heard on the news that some folks died when a tree fell on their car in Mass.

Been distracted at work today.   Kind of preoccupied with 'big thoughts.'  No idea why.

Like this:

Time stands still

best in moments

that look

suspiciously

ordinary life.

Maybe it's an age thing.  Just call me a philosopher-pauper or somesuch.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

#artbydmcbride

Great job!  Smile

Runners run

(Don'tcha just HATE it when you have your post almost completely done and then you accidentally hit a button and it all goes away?? )

Anyway . . . Howdy Do, All ~

I tried to catch up with the goings-ons since Thursday and my two main comments are:

Holly - I would've left the dishes right where they were and cleaned up only those I used until someone else decided it was time to do something. It would take a LOT of strong-will to do so, but that's just total BS.  Hope you are able to get your DH to go to counseling.  If not, I hope you still follow through for yourself. (And don't forget to check if your medical insurance will cover a portion.)

And I guess I won't say we've been having beautiful weather here.

Well, got the storage unit basically cleaned out (except for the stuff that needs to go to donation)- yay!  I don't have any idea where my brother is going to put all the crap he took, but not my problem.

My dang nephew scored a really nice meat slicer I didn't know my dad had.  Dang it!  He and I were going through a large container that had been in my dad's garage and he spied it.  "A meat slicer!!  I've been wanting to get one!  Can I have that?" he asked excitedly.  Double Dang It! Yes, my dear boy, you may have it.  I expect some sliced meat at some point in the future.  He loves to smoke meats, so his thought is he can slice 'em up and freeze it for sandwiches.  Smart kid.

After two full days of family and going through stuff (including TONS of photographs, about 95% of which were junk), the family went home yesterday morning and I went on a 12-mile pavement run.  Yes, you heard me - pavement run.  And oi vey!!  It's been a very long time since I've run more than 6 miles on pavement, and boy howdy were my legs feeling it the rest of the day.  I even started developing hot spots in places on my feet I don't normally get them.  About halfway through the run, I started feeling like I was totally out of shape.  Even the smallest incline had me breathing harder than I should have been.  Hoping it was just a culmination of an active two days and a couple of late nights and that I'll feel better as the week progresses.

Okay - I gotta get back to work.  Later, gators ~~

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

C-R

Hey all. On again off again Finnagan's back.

Sounds like lots happening. I will certainly try to catch up a little.

I fly lots for work and mostly its ok. I'm an aisle seat guy tet. Allows for some freedom of movement if needed. Views can be nice but I sometimes get that trapped feeling on the bulkhead especially on long flights.

Track and Field season is in full swing now. Man those kids are fast. Fun to watch.

Twocat - glad your mouse trap is empty. I have a similar battle each spring with chipmunks. They aren't nearly as cute as Alvin and his little cohorts or Chip and Dale.

Oh a little piece of Disney trivia - how do you tell which one is Chip and which one is Dale? Answer a little later.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

Twocat - I know you need them out of your house, but I feel bad for the baby mouse......

Leslie - are you coming for the Portland Oregon Marathon party?  Even if you don't run the race, I am sure we will rent a house big enough for another occupant.  I know it is a bit of a drive, but this may be the closest I get to you, and I have wanted to meet you for a long time.......

4.3 miles for me today on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

I was pulling into the garage when Will Shortz was giving us the quiz, and for some reason and without considering it much I said "I wonder if it's 'yeast'"  Thank you Aamos.  (Rangers are 1-0, knocking off King Felix!.  Yanks and Astros snowed out.)

After Saturday's LR, I did 2 yesterday walking and jogging with Lucy and today the Saint and I did 3 very slow, and I mean 11:20 per mile!  But tomorrow I should be fine.  Spareribs

Mike E

MM #5615

Leslie - are you coming for the Portland Oregon Marathon party?  Even if you don't run the race, I am sure we will rent a house big enough for another occupant.  I know it is a bit of a drive, but this may be the closest I get to you, and I have wanted to meet you for a long time.......

+1

evanflein

Just a quick fly by... Enke, I hope you have better luck with your FR 25 than I've had lately. Since a "software update" on Saturday, it wouldn't upload Saturday's or Sunday's runs. Nothing, nada. But today it redeemed itself and performed perfectly. I wish I knew what the cause of the glitches it has were.  I do have a service request in to Garmin on one of it's issues but no results back yet.

I usually like flying, but I also prefer the aisle seat. So does DH. So when we fly together, we try to each get an aisle seat in the exit row (the first row that reclines), or I get the middle. I just really hate crawling over strangers to get to the aisle. Alaska Airlines just announced it's buying Virgin America so maybe we'll get more options for some cities. Like to get to San Diego in time for a 6 pm reception, I have to leave here at 1:15 am and spend three hours in Seattle. That's just not right.

5.2 miles today in low 40's, bright sunshine and 15 mph winds from the NE. Not too bad for the most part, but wind sure makes my eyes water! Garmin behaved, as I mentioned earlier, and uploaded the run flawlessly. Go figure.