Masters Running

Advice for Runners from Animal Control (Read 346 times)

I spoke to the Denton County Animal Control about my mountain lion incident the other day and i received some advice I'd like to pass along.  He suggested that I run with a small air horn, not just for a mountain lion situation, but also for dogs.  I asked him about pepper spray and he said that it doesn't always work on dogs.  He told me about a recent incident where someone had abandoned a Pit Bull that was obviously trained to dog fight.  He didn't want to shoot the animal so he sprayed it starting at about 10 feet.  He nailed the dog in the mouth and eyes and all the dog did was eat it's way up the stream to him!  He was barely able to subdue the dog before getting bit.  At any rate, he sad the air horn works well because it disrupts the animal for about 2 minutes before they go back to what they were doing.  In addition, a nice blast in the ear could help ward off an attacker.  They make some small ones that can clip onto your shorts or be carried in your hand w/ a lanyard attached to the wrist.  I'm going to buy one and see if I can run comfortably with it.  Hope this info helps!
    wildchild

Carolyn

So how does an air horn help?  Does it scare them, or injure their hearing, or what?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

The loud noise must disorient them.  If you think about how loud one of those things can be, wootchie!  Huff, let me know how it works carrying one.  I run by myself predawn and in the woods.  Always thought pepper spray was chancy, especially if it were in windy conditions.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

SteveP

Thanks Huff. I bet that would scare a human as well.  Noise like that draws too much attention.

SteveP

sounds like a good idea.  thanks for sharing.
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

wildchild, it works by disrupting them and getting them off track from what they were doing.   They'll be disoriented for about 2 minutes or so before they go back to what they were doing. Kind of like when Cesar (Dog Whisperer) redirects a dog from the path they are going down.  It doesn't physically hurt them.

fatozzig, I'm going to buy one today and run with it this weekend.  I'll let you know how that goes.

Thanks Huff. I bet that would scare a human as well.  Noise like that draws too much attention.

that's usually a good thing.  if a homeowner has their dog out at 5:30 AM to do their morning business and then the dog decides to chase me I have no problem aiming the sound toward the house and letting them know their dog is out of control. 

Renee the dog

wildchild, it works by disrupting them and getting them off track from what they were doing.   They'll be disoriented for about 2 minutes or so before they go back to what they were doing. Kind of like when Cesar (Dog Whisperer) redirects a dog from the path they are going down.  It doesn't physically hurt them.

fatozzig, I'm going to buy one today and run with it this weekend.  I'll let you know how that goes.

Won't it disorient you too?   I'd buy some earplugs with them.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

that's usually a good thing.  if a homeowner has their dog out at 5:30 AM to do their morning business and then the dog decides to chase me I have no problem aiming the sound toward the house and letting them know their dog is out of control. 

Amen!