Masters Running

Tuesday, October 28 Runs and Tapers (Read 476 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Guess What!? My doctor said I can run again - woohoo! Brinkley was pretty darn happy this morning too .... 3 slow miles avg. 10:30 pace. The first mile felt real akward (can't think how to spell that) - then into the 2nd mile I felt a little sick to my stomach - and the third mile was just a mix of walking and running. 33 brisk degrees which felt wonderful!!! Happy 2s-day!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Yea Brinkley!! Woof, woof Out in the brisk (35F) fall air for a very nice 6 miles in 51 min (8:30 pace) out here in the Conover/Hickroy area of NC. Snow in the mountains just to the west of here... brrr. A few days stay at a Holiday Inn Express should be good race prep ...maybe I'll turn Kenyan Smile

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #3309

I sooo happy for you Brinkley....you too Mary Big grin . That is truly great news, as I have been thinking about ya lately! Holiday Inn Express Steve...why didn't I think of that one Smile Well, my foot does feel better and it only Tues (lots and lots of ice), with 4 more days for my foot to heal up. But I am really really starting to feel antsy about NOT running...but I know that's what is best...did I mention antsy Tongue. Seems strange not adding runs on my training log, and seeing 0 for the week Black eye I was telling Holly last night that we need a separate thread for the - wounded, maimed, handicapped running a Marathon this weekend...kind of a support group Big grin Tons of work to get done this morning, so have a great 2's day. TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Hi everyone. I've been absent the last few days as we took a long weekend trip to Sedona. It was great seeing my folks - they are priceless - and one of my adopted DD's and her BF were there too. DD hadn't seen my folks in 25 years - priceless. It was heavenly running in Sedona at sun up with the temps in the low 40's. It is stunningly beautiful out there. The 1st day I didn't wear any gloves and couldn't move my fingers for 1/2 hour afterward. Remedied that one for the 2nd run a couple days later. Much more comfortable. I felt surprisingly strong on the Sedona hills for as little hill-work I get in. There is a nice 8.5 mile run that is all hills. I ran it twice. I felt like Peter - at least for a little while! This morning it was back to the S. Fla. roads in a nice, brisk 58F degrees with a 25 mph North wind. I ran 8 miles total at 8:28 pace and ran 3 x 1 mile with 1 minute rest intervals. A little slow on the 1st mile but okay on the others. 8:13, 7:34, and 7:27. The last three "cool down miles" were at 8:21, 8:22, 8:35 to finish up. Feeling good. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Welcome back Byll - sounds like an awesome trip!! Tim!

~Mary

~unknown

Marathon Maniac #3309

Those ants running around are kewl Mary....how'd ya do that? Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I found them over on bestsmileys dot com Tim. Big grin

~Mary

~unknown

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Mary – feels great to be able to run again, doesn’t it? Tim – it is unfortunate but true that marathon training often results in injuries, especially in those last peak weeks before the race, when you are pushing your body to the extreme. Just getting to the start line in good health is half the battle. Of course, all you running this weekend are young enough and strong enough to have many more good marathons ahead of you, even if this weekend doesn’t result in your best effort. So don't try to kill yourself to prove anything - hey, are the rest of you listening, Perch, Erica, Twocat? Bill – nice run! 34 degrees and very windy this morning and I wanted to do intervals, so I wimped out and hopped on the TM in the garage. I hate wind, and I REALLY hate COLD wind. I know, we’ll all get (somewhat) acclimatized to the cold soon enough, but I’m not there yet. Workout: 2 mile WU [5 minute slow-to-fast segments (6.0, 6.3, 6.6, 6.9, 8.0 mph)] x 4 (pace translation: 10:00, 9:31, 9:05, 8:41, 7:30) 1 minute walk [1 min. 8.0 mph (7:30)/1 min. 6.2 mph (9:40)] x 6 1 minute walk plus CD makes 8 miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tim needs those Ants. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Top 'O the World!

Yay! Mary & Brinkley gets ta run!!! Woo-Hoo!!! Smile
                      Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                        Brrrrr is right! 34F this morning at 6:00 AM with a nice brisk wind out of the north. I was dressed for it, though, and never felt cold. I'm not sure I'm ready to be wearing winter attire when it's only October, though it is supposed to warm up by the end of the week. Anyway, 7.5 miles at a comfortable 9:41 pace, then came home and jumped rope for another 5 minutes to work off the piece of apple pie I ate last night. Big grin Glad you're back on the road again, Mary, but probably not half as glad as Brinkley! Did everything turn out okay on your test results? Hang in there, Timothy. You're doing the right thing and your marathon results will prove that! Sounds like you had a nice vacation, Bill. Where exactly is Sedona? For all you runners with dogs, I found a great prayer for you yesterday: "Lord, help me become the person my dog thinks I am." Have a great day, everyone.
                        dg.

morning! a quick post as i am late as usual. mary, woohoo! bill, glad your visit was so nice. DG, thanks for your thought re my aunt. what a great way to look at it. so, i'm taking (am i saying this??????) a little time off. no idea how much, hope not much at ALL. My shin splints...whatever version this is, hurts constantly, & even after all your piriformis tlc, it hurt with almost every step on sunday. oh.. i also twisted my ankle Sunday on the nice leafy side trail. no biggie. just need to regroup & reasses. I stayed home this morning, balanced the check book & paid bills. I'd Rather Be Running. washed lots of greens so i might even cook tonight!! Anyway... here's my plan. since I have no race plans (big surprise) you all can just dump your owies on me for this weekend. won't make much difference, Erika, Twocat, Tim, even Perch if you want some soleus insurance... mail, fax or email & I'll carry them till you want them back. no problem. glad to help. Wink. happy Tuesday!
                          DickyG

A 40-something year old single lady named Amy Borkowski is attempting to raise about $3 million to fund a 30-second ad during the 2009 Super Bowl telecast in order to try and attract a husband. At present, she has raised $1,790. She has also applied for a federal bailout loan but has been told that "match(make)ing" funds are not available. (Sorry...I just couldn't help it). Erika: Cortisone injection...assuming that doctor agrees, those are great...not permanent, but great. Got one 2 years ago when I had a stress fracture of the foot a couple weeks before Peachtree. Tammy:
                            My goal is to someday take a decent race photo. In all of mine, my mouth is gaping wide open or I look like I'm having the most miserable time of my life.
                            Yep...I know the feeling. Matter of fact, I have both my 1985 and 2005 Peachtree photos side by side on the fridge. 20 years apart and I have the exact look of pain in both pix. Maine: Yep...I definately see 3:15 for you! Mary: Outstanding news! Back in the game! Breger: 8:13 is slow? Yesterday, finally retired my Asics Gel-Flash shoes after over 700 miles and broke out a new pair of Adidas Adizero-CS...light as a feather..only about 8 oz. and felt like they had plenty of cushioning. So far, so good...ran 4 miles in 35:17 (8:49), really fast when you consider it was only 8 seconds slower than Tammy's run yesterday. DickyG

Hill Runner

Hi everyone, Just checking in here this morning...no running yet as I'm still a little sore and am waiting till I'm 100% to do a recovery run...I'm not pushing it. I'm thinking about registering for Boston in '09 ......but I'm waiting for Tramps & Tim to BQ before I actually commit Smile Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                              Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                              Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Glad you're back on the road again, Mary, but probably not half as glad as Brinkley! Did everything turn out okay on your test results?
                                I love that little prayer Jlynne! I have two more basal cell tumors and a Squamous cell too (this one is new for me). My next appt. is Nov. 11th and I'll find out what they want to do. I just want it done sooner rather than later. It is on my mind too much. Deb - you are a true team player!! How nice of you to take on everyone's injuries this weekend. I hope YOU are feeling better soon!

~Mary

~unknown