Masters Running

Mon Dec 29 Runs and etc (Read 417 times)

Good morning, everyone! Just a recovery run today, a 3 miler. When I was getting started a neighbor let her dog out in the front yard, untethered, and it ran out to me, actually right in front of me. I had to almost stop to avoid stepping on the little thing, but was able to keep running without the dog following me. 3.2 miles, 29:19, 9:18/mi, AHR 131 Have a good day, and be careful you don't step in a poodle.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Hill Runner

Good morning Lou, It's warm here this morning...53F. I almost went shirtless this AM. 10.08 miles of hills in the dark with my headlamp @ 9:03 pace. Great run to start off the week...16 weeks 'til Boston. Good runs to everyone.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
      Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
      Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Tramps

Finally had a chance to skim posts from the last couple of days. Great running out there! Walt—impressive 5k’s! Holly—20-miler on Saturday. Isn’t this early to be doing 20s? Mary’s 1400 miles, Carolyn’s 1400 miles, Perch’s 2600 miles. Wow! Great to see Liz back and Roy posting again Henry--potato latkes, yum. And nice running, too! Erika—another amazing -25F run. Dan—Yeah! Good to see you running so well. (Hi Amy!) Funny posts about sick spouses. I’m the opposite; if I’m sick, just leave me alone. I tend to get a little grumpy and the last thing I want is someone hovering. Easy 5.2 miler @ 8:30 today. 40F and IRC.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Out for 5 today without any yaktraks!! We had 55 degree weather and rain all day Saturday which melted all of our snow. Yesterday it was only in the 20's with high winds. We had a little house damage from a falling tree that I need to call in. Lots of siding will need replacing. Running lately has become work - my legs are pretty tired from the Wii I guess. 11:01 avg. pace - 162 avg. HR. Happy Monday!! Heck any Monday I don't have to work is happy!! Big grin

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Mariposai

Happy Monday to all, specially to those who are not working. Did SrLopez ever went out for his run yesterday? where on earth is Tetsujin? 4ezpz recovery miles for my little legs this morning. The snowplow kept me company one again. I must remember that they like to be out there early on Monday mornings. Dead Santa said that I have been such a good little girl this year and that I deserve a trip to the east coast to enjoy the Autumn colors and run the Hartford marathon...yeap....I love that Santa.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Henry – lovely picture yesterday. WRFB – I do hate to get poodle on my shoes.... Big grin Tramps – the weather was so nice, I had the morning free – why not? Mariposai - very nice! Mondays are usually weights and core work for me, but in the interest of burning some extra calories, I did my lower-body workout last night: 1.Alternating side lunges (20L, 20R), bench step-ups (20L, 20R). 2. Weighted squats (30), weighted ballet squats (30), split squats (20L, 20R). 3. Single leg bridges (30L, 30R), forward lunges (20L, 20R) Plus 60 dead lifts. so I could have time this morning for 4.2 recovery-paced miles (ave 10:47) in my new Dude Girl base layer top, and then dumbbell curls, bench presses, lying hammer curls, flies, and stability ball crunches. Amazing how warm 28 degrees can feel when there’s no wind. Happy Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

5 easy
                Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                dg.

good morning! Holly, nice job. are those the same SB crunches I do? Henry & Marge... adorable kids. Mary, I'm sorry about the damage. but cool no yaktrax.. bare streets Smile. we still haven't gotten a break from the winds. thanks Carolyn... I haven't used yaktrax in a long time but they roll, don't they? I think they'd have to slow you down. any news from DickyG? Nancy, you earned it. Big grin I tried for Magical Healing Miles.... did ok. room for improvement. 5.20, 10:09 av. pace. ahr 165, max 175. I don't usually run the day after my LR, but needed to this week, & it wasn't bad. Tuesday's, after a day off, are always carpy. So, maybe a new plan. Then 20 min. on the elliptical, stab. ball side planks, & out of time. stretched. happy new week.
                    Just back from 3.5 miles at a sproinky-for-me pace (even amid hills of my PA neighborhood) on legs that felt like lead-encased concrete. Weird. Temps in the 40s, light breeze, streaming sunshine. Twelve miles to go to reach 550 for the year. Probably not happening, but I'm running well and enjoying it a lot these days, so 540 and change will do just fine. Smile Spending this afternoon with a friend from work and we've promised ourselves NOT to talk about school or students. A rare treat, since what we mostly talk about is school and students. Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

I haven't run yet, but won't get on to post it when I do so I will just pre-post a 3 mile recovery run and weights this afternoon. dg, I hope that you are feeling better soon. I am sure it must be tough being sick for so long. I think Ribs and Perch are on to something with the recovery miles. I seem to feel a good deal better after getting out and putting some miles on the legs after a long run, though doing the actual running is tough. Great news for those of you getting to run without yaktrax. I have no idea what these even are but am assuming they are some sort of traction device that you strap to your running shoes. I'm sure they slow your pace so good news to everyone getting to run without them.

Once a runner . . .

Marathon Maniac #957

Dg - these are the type of crunches I do on the stability ball: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1114 Except that I also to crossover ones, you know, where you aim your elbow for the opposite knee. I really feel how much these fire my core than crunches without the ball.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Super busy today, so I just wanted to say.... Hi Smile TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

wildchild

Carolyn

dg, I don't know where you got the idea that yaktrax roll. Here's a picture: They're metal coiled springs that attach to your shoes with rubber.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

King of PhotoShop

Recovery runs should be short, and as slow as you feel like. Lou did a nice one this morning, just 3, and at a very slow pace for him. Mine was just 2.2 miles on dirt, with Lucy. DG's was a bit long for recovery. I did a full stretch routine at the Y after my run, and expect to be fresh tomorrow. The trick is, if you want to run every day, you must ensure that the recovery day has very little stress associated with it. Perch tends to do 4 mile recoveries and his are always nice and slow. He pays no attention whatsoever to maintaining a quick pace, just lets his body go easy. NFL commentary to follow. Skip this section if you hate football: My Jets didn't make it, but I am very happy for Bill's Dolphins. What a great turnaround they have made, and with one of my favorite players too, Chad Pennington. Tony Sparano should get Coach of the Year. The Jets fired the wrong guy by getting rid of Mangini. They should have kept him and let Favre go. The man is done and should retire with dignity. He looks like Namath did with the Rams, or willie Mays with the Mets many years ago. Great athletes should know when it's over and just go. Gorgeous weather here in Big D. Spareribs
                              dg.

Holly, thanks. Those hurt my neck, but are supposed to be the best, I've heard. Meg, thanks to you too! It is getting old. I noticed your post about your recovery run a day or so ago... that's one reason I gave it a shot today. Carolyn, Smile. great picture! I didn't mean roll... like ball bearings. more like the coil springs can kind of roll along the base of your shoes a little. that's probably more likely on bare pavement I think. Or, I could be remembering wrong. Hard to imagine but it is possible. Wink Hi Tim! Ribs, mine felt long, so I'm glad that it was. thanks for the input. I wasn't sure what the target should be... and, in the back (ok, front) of my mind was the end of year & a mileage goal... not predetermined or anything, but so close to the next 100. I'm trying not to pay too much attention to that. Much more important not to injure anything. Isn't it? (someone say yes)