Masters Running

Tuesday, 02 Junesday 2009 (Read 418 times)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

69° F

89% humidity

6.3 miles of energy depleted slogginess.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Rest day for me.

Tomorrow is National Running Day.  So if you can do it, lace 'em up and join in!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Morning, gang!

Can't believe it's 9:41 and I'm the 3rd poster - what's up??

Work getting in the way today - I guess that's only right since I've been out for over a week.   6.5 miles this morning - no pep whatsoever - probably a combination of the hills and humidity.  

I was introduced to the wiley black flies yesterday while fishing some Vermont mountain streams.  It isn't pretty - I have bruises/welts all over my neck, behind the ears, etc - looks like I've been beaten ;-).  The darn things itch too.......

Good runs everybody!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Renee the dog

3 miles at base pace with Renee.  Beautiful weather -- 67º F and 91% H.  Pefect.  I did go out late though, so Renee got a hose down before we started to keep her cool. Didn't seem to phase her at all.  After the 3 mi, we finished up by doing .2 mi of drills right along my blocks from the beach.  I think the guys on the basketball court thought I pulled up lame when I started doing one-legged hops as I went by...but when I switched legs I probably gave myself away as just .    Gotta remember to start those drills on my weak side.  When I switched over, I felt realllllllly weak on my left side.  Almost kissed the pavement, but recovered.

Good runs to all today (and tomorrow!)

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Marathon Maniac #957

69° F

89% humidity

6.3 miles of energy depleted slogginess.

Wow - that was almost identical to my run, although I stopped at 6.1 miles (ave pace 10:00).

I love the word "slogginess."

Almost as much as DS's "awesomtastic."

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Busy week.  

Easy 5 yesterday; easy 8 today.

Greta to see La Vie en Rose starting us off.

Yeah, I like "slogginess," too.  I think I'll get to use it tomorrow.

Sue--yuck on the black flies.  It's deer fly season here.  I've learned to be zen-like about the swarm that forms around my head as soon as I step outside.  No swattting; it doesn't help and makes it difficult to run.  They rarely bite me for some reason.  I do get one in my mouth from time to time, though.  Yuck.

We also have a bumper crop of ants this year.  They're everywhere!

Did I mention the carpenter bees?

Be safe. Be kind.

Slo

I'm running behind schedule but that isn't at all indicative of my run this AM.

2.5 miles warm up, 12 min (was supposed to be 10min) Tempo at 7:04 Recovery then a 22 min (was supposed to be 20 mins) at 7:47 pace. Cool down for a total of 8.31 miles, 1:06:34.....average pace of 8:00/mile. Feelin.....whats the word....Sproinky.....Spunky.  Very good run.

Mariposai

This old body and mind decided that it was time to go and pay visit to the track once again. 5x1k at 5:25, 5:22; 5:15, 5:11, 5:11 with one minute intervals. Now my goal was to hit them at 5:05 or better, but the body could not move any faster...ohhhhhh how fast one looses conditioning. Only six weeks ago I was doing these 1ks at sub 5. But, then again, I ran a marathon and an ultra in the last six weeks.
                  Oh well, that is were we are at and I can't wait to get back to the track next week. Especially now that I am a proud owner of a brand new pair of track shoes. Too bad nobody saw me because I think I look mighty cool with them .

7 pre-sunshine miles total for the day.

Go tammy gooooo (where is that bellydancer when I need one)

Go Holly gooooooo. I am so very excited about your first TRAIL ULTRA. Girl you are one tough cookie.

hallar, what is new in your world?

nono, your run today sound so great. Glad to see you did not kiss the pavement .  Renee is a great partner.

twocat, are you out of jail?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Nono - Your post made me .  And that Renee (the dog, not Econo) is a real trooper.

Gave the calves another day of rest.  They're still pretty stiff and sore, but I'm moving somewhat easier today, so I guess last night's hot bath then massage session worked a bit.  Tomorrow will be stationary biking and strength/core . . . but no calf strengthening!  Keeping fingers crossed I'll be in decent shape for 6 hilly miles on Thursday.  Hey - at least this happened now and not closer to my run!

No sewage back up today, so that's a plus.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

National Running Day eh?? I hope my uterus doesn't fall out.

WoodsMaMa - I slipped the word to Johnny that you'd be making an appearance and as the President of Southern Oregon Chapter of the MaEcono Fan Club, he'll be there! 

We had a nice little rain shower come through last night which cooled off the air quite a bit, so I took advantage of the comfortable temp and ran 5 miles last night. It was a bit muggy, but not too bad. So, 5 down and 35 to go this week.

Tammy

Teresadfp

One day at a time

"Energy depleted slogginess" - what a great phrase!  That was me last week, after my all-nighter.  I think I've almost recovered from that.

This morning was my boot camp, so I got in a total of 2.8 miles between circuits.  One of the instructors tried to help me with my push-up form.  For goodness sake, I suck at that!  And I'm talking on my KNEES!  I won't even mention the reverse lunges...

The other instructor will be doing a speed workout clinic tomorrow morning at 6:30, so I guess I"ll go. Gulp.  She looked at me today and said, "It will be aggressive!"  I figure it can't hurt to give it a try.  I'll do my best!

GORGEOUS day in Maine - 70 degrees and sunny, blue skies.  Bugs aren't bad, either, for some reason.

CNY, that was a nice, speedy, half.  srlopez, congrats on another fine marathon.  roch, nice job on taking your revenge on the Dexter - Ann Arbor course.  Steve, congrats to your son on his graduation and thanks for the pictures.  hopeful, I'm sorry to hear about the puppy.

Nice long runs for evan and Tammy.  Good job on the speedwork for mariposai.

This morning, it was in the mid 40s with a light wind.  I got in 12 miles in about 1:59 for a 9:54 pace.  There were only a few seconds difference in the first and second 6 miles and the last mile was the fastest by a little bit. 

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mariposai alas he is still locked up.  The editor.

P.S.  Econo it was not Twocat who wrote saying you did not like him (although that may be true given his rather acerbic personality).  It was me, The Editor.  You have to keep these things straight or it gets confusing.  (Maybe I should get my own account and all?  Heck, I do not run any less than Twocat does.)  Rather on May 3 you wrote, "Does anyone else want to shoot twocat's editor?"  I took that quite hard you know.  I hate getting shot.  I just hate it!  Also, it kind of made me think you would not likely respond kindly to my asking for bail money. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Thank you everyone for your kind words about my puppy.   I did not go out for a run last night.  I just was too down and I knew my HR would probalby be sky high.   Instead I just sat around and went to bed at 8:30.

I turned the alarm clock off this morning, and 10 minutes later forced myself out of bed for a 3 miler.  9:47 pace, 164 avg. HR.     Yesterday was supposed to be a day of new beginnings for me - to get back on track.   At least my diet is off to a good start.  Wink      (I still have a sense of humor in me).

Late this morning I received a note with the autopsy results.  Little Edward died from a piece of kibble that was lodged way down in the back of his trachea.  If he had coughed it would have come up, but it swelled and got moist and that was enough.    I feel a sense of relief that I now know that he was a healthy puppy and that it was nothing that I could have prevented.    We have no obligation as to a refund or new puppy, but my husband and I have discussed it and we have offered him a puppy next Spring at 1/2 price just to take care of vet bills, and care.   He is likely to take us up on the offer, he just needs time to grieve, which I can totally understand. 

It has been a rough 24 hours, but I feel like things are looking up again. 

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

TammyinGP

Thanks for the update Mary. That is so sad. Very nice of you and your husband to extend that offer. I hope the new owner will take you up on that. Even though their bonding time with Edward was much too short, I can only imagine the grief they feel over this loss also.

Tammy