Masters Running

Long overdue: Boston and Tacoma RRs (Read 383 times)

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

I know this is cheating, two reports in one but these races are so different , fun to compare them!

I had to to try Boston, it is after all a unique experince that I didn't feel like turning down ,since I somehow had managed to qualify! well Tacoma is so close to home and all those Maniacs around a must do as well !

I decided to make the Boston weekend a "family "one. With our business 7/7 we can never shut down and take off the 5 of us. DH had to stay with DS1 who had soccer commitments so I traveled with my 15yr old and DS2 who was turning 10 on marathon day.  That was not a very smart decision on my part, my kids did their best to ruin the entire experience by fighting constantly and upsetting me over and over. Lesson learnt...next time ..on my own...

I somehow managed to drag them to the main Boston sites both Sat and Sunday  and decided that after all it would be better for them to watch the race on TV rather than be swallowed by the crowds around the finish line .

On race day I left the hotel rather early and took the T to town and very fortuitously end up sitting down next to 2 Italian runner in from the Mediaterranean island of Sardinia, two of the lucky ones who had made it out of Europe despite the airport closures. Well, it was friendship at first sight!, we started chatting and ended up spending the entire long pre race hours together. They had brought personalized singlets from their club with their names and Italian and Sardinain flags as well and 2 full size flags that they were planning on crossing the finish line with.

Yeah, even dear Amy got to meet one of them and practice some Italian..!!!!

I was planning the run my marathon by feel  and I was keeping a pretty good pace for over half the race until the same stomach issued that had plagued me on my previous marathon in Italy hit me.  I was thinking to myself...this cannot be happening again....but I knew my body was way off , I started taking walking breaks at the  water stations and drinking probably too much water , the lousy feeling  so prevalent that I honestly didn't even notice whether I was going uphill or downhill. It felt like a looong way to that finish line, and almost as long getting out   of the chute.  The crawl to move ahead to get the blanket, the medal and the miserable food , and to the bathrooms and changing areas were the flip side of the coin from the wonderful pre race organization...

too many people ..too crowded for me  ...I think I'll take a small race anytime over a large one..yeah Tacoma for instance!

It was the annual MM get together. I had to skip  the festivities of the Saturday due toa  trade show committment till late Saturday night  but headed down to Tacoma with two Maniac friends early in the morning so that I had plenty of time to see familiar faces....Wow, Dave and Jon!!! it was literally a sea of yellow singlets  in a race  of about 400 people ,( more for the half and 5K), great support, well marked, tons of great voluntiers all over the course, the very hilly course, half of it scenic, half of it, well a bit less so on a path by the freeway. Anyway the last couple of miles of downhill are a real moral booster to the tired legs ..  No stomach problems this time, I think I have figured out my wardrobe mistake  that cost me so much grief.

Again , same race strategy , or lack of it,  started slowing down around mile 17 and from there on mentally  taking it easy..walking the aid stations,chatting ,bathroom stop, more walking and chatting , there is always the next race to push harder  and try to go faster...let's enjoy the day!  and I did 100%..... got my blanket water and 2 medals within steps of the finish line.....my kind of race.

Bottom line Boston 4:12:something....Tacoma 4:10:something

Loved the prerace in Boston , will do again if I get the chance..... loved everything about Tacoma. will do it again next yea, for sure: and of course , loved all those Maniacs!! they are the best!!!

Thanks for reading!

Francesca 

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Dea Francesca,

grazie for the two marathon RR's

maybe 26. 2 miles is too short for your ultra-stomach to get settled.

I bet you don’t have any stomach issues at all at next week’s 12 hour run
      at the Redmond Watershed. 

ps - I wonder if there are any pictures to show why 26.2 miles is so worth it nowadays. 

pps - no particular reason but I wonder how Mt. Si and Redmond might compare.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

great reports Francesca!!  sorry you had stomach ailments during Boston and the end was so miserable but sounds like overall it was a great experience - hope i get to meet you the next time you come back here!!

denise

Well you were very brave taking some of your kids to Boston with you!  Glad you got to meet the Italian speaking women too, that must have been fun.  Sorry about the tummy issues, I think that is the worst!

I am always curious about Tacoma as it is so near to me and I've heard good things.  Hopefully someday I'll get to run it.  But you said you got two medals there??  What does that mean?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

I have waited for this report all week. It seems like you had a great experience in both races with great times, as it seems you always manage to do, I hope your kids enjoyed the Boston experience. I am glad to see that you did not have any stomach issue in Tacoma. The sea of yellow singlets must has been fun. I must try to enter a MM annual meeting next year.

Thanks for the fun to read report. Your approach to racing and running are inspiring.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Sorry to hear about your squabbling kids at Boston, that really sucks the joy out of life. And the stomach issues can really put a damper on your day. But I'm glad you got to experience Boston, sorry you couldn't hang out with some of us. I had no idea where you were!

Tacoma sounded like a fun time with all those Maniacs hanging around.

Marathon Maniac #957

No stomach problems this time, I think I have figured out my wardrobe mistake  that cost me so much grief.

Francesca - care to share the secret? 

Squabbling all day - ounds just like my kids....

It was wonderful seeing you, albeit briefly, at Boston!  Great running and I hope to see you again another time!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Seeing you was a highlight, it was such fun--just too brief.

I read about the half marathon medals in Tacoma (you get one half one year and the other half the next) and am talking it up with DH (who went to U.Puget Sound) for next year. 

As much as I love Boston, I do share some of your feelings.  I too enjoy small races.  Not sure I'm up for Boston next year.  Too early to decide.

Hope to see you again soon.

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles

franc, you did well in both marathons.  Congratulations.  I'm sorry to hear about the stomach distress at Boston.  As to kids squabbling, it will pass.  Our kids had their moments growing up but get along famously now.  In fact, a while back our daughter moved in with our son and his wife so they could all cut expenses.  They seem to enjoy the situation. 

TomS