Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 1.9.18 (Read 42 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Monday's workouts:

Deeze (5:15 spin class + 3 TM miles)

Tramps (5 morning miles in upper teens)

RunnerKSA (3.1 morning TM miles + 2.5 gloomy post-work miles in damp 43° temps)

Stumpy (3.1 lake-loop miles in 20+ temps)

Jlynne (5.65 early morning miles + 45 min of shovel cross-training)

Holly (30 min of weights & core)

Henrun (2 balmy morning miles)

Dave59 (3.2 morning park miles with some moisture)

Tomwhite (50 min HH with hills in RSH [really soft hail])

Fatozzig (30 morning minutes of core/ST)

Pfriese (EZ 6 miles to the park & back)

Bioguy (EZ 3 miles)

Mike (10 miles in 36° temps, including 2X3 strength miles in 19:32, 19:40)

C-R (after-dark miles in 34° temps)

Twocat (7.6 sunrise miles)

Falconfixer (6.5 lunchtime miles in 40° temps + 2 late afternoon miles + teaching spin)

StarrRuns (2.5 afternoon miles in 34° temps)

I got in 6.95 RW miles in 28° temps at J o'clock.

Have a greta Tuesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Late start for me this morning since I have to fly out of here mid-day.   5 miles which felt terrible.  Some days are like that.  41 and gloomy.  Running is stupid!  Smile

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Henrun

2 balmier miles as the temp edges close to 40 and the sun is burning bright.

Leslie, great letter. In my professional capacity I couldn’t have said it better.

Thanks for the comments regarding my dad's letter.  He was a special man who never believed in himself but believed in everybody else.

I have to go to a client's house today to have her re-sign some EP docs.  Her son lives with her and the one and only time I talked to him, he was a real . . . . um . . . jerk.  The client's granddaughter found me on FB and messaged me yesterday asking if I would be willing to ask her uncle if he had his affairs in order, that basically none of the family had the guts to ask.  Um - NO!  Seriously??  I was polite but told her no, that the last time he and I had talked he was very rude and I didn't feel comfortable asking.  I didn't add that I was already dreading today's visit.  The whole thing felt really weird. 

Okay - I gotta get to work ~~

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jay - thanks for nearly 60 miles summary of yesterday’s running and nearly two hours of core, etc. exercising. That’s a lot of work, . . . for you too.

One mile to bus stop in steady-to-heavy otherwise disqualifying meteorological conditions, . . . except when compared to freezing-to-slushy conditions elsewhere , . . . or, worse yet, the treadmill (as it’s called in polite company).

ps KSA - I believed running was stupid for 40 years, . . . until I couldn’t do it any more for a while.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tramps

Waited until lunch (and warmer temps; 42F) to get my first ride of the year in.

Mostly good; some isolated icy patches still around and lots of sand from road treatment.

20 miles.

(That pace bunny is already 70 miles ahead of me. The only thing faster than a pace bunny is a pace bunny on a bike.)

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

Four foggy miles in the park this morning. It was above freezing but there were a few times when my foot slipped as I pushed off. Fortunately, no falls or anything close to a fall, but it had me being pretty careful after the first time.

Today I have to do my "self-evaluation" as part of the annual review process.  There is nothing like annual review time to make one consider retirement. I'm 59 and been doing the same job for this company for 30+ years.  There is nothing to be said that hasn't already been said dozen of times. I report to someone new (my 10th different boss) so I have no idea how she will do things. Some have done almost nothing (my favorite type of manager) and others want to meet and talk about it.   

C-R

Thanks Jay.

Like tramps I waited until lunch. Did a 4+ mile fartlek workout. Supposed to be on a track but they aren't clear yet.

That does not sound fun leslie.

Safe travels Karen and yes running is stoopid but as tet says it doesn't seem that way when you can't. Good days will come.

Off to Chicago but a side benefit is I get to have dinner with DD tomorrow on the way home.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

One mile to bus stop in steady-to-heavy otherwise disqualifying meteorological conditions, . . .

Erika - have fun in New York!  Hopefully you are not flying into JFK....

Dave - I hate that dreaded Self-Evaluation.  What a waste of time, and I am not even sure if the boss reads it, as we almost always discuss other things during the annual review meeting.  I have taken to just printing my last year's version and revising it slightly.

5 miles on the TM for me this morning.

DD's lacrosse parent-player meeting tonight, and the girls have already started Conditioning Workouts twice per week.  Next month the season begins in earnest and she (and I) will be very busy until the end of May.  DD loves lacrosse, though, and she is fun to watch.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I’m on the plane to connect in Phoenix.  I’m sure my employer is paying for me to use the plane wifi so I can post on RA!

Have a good trip, Norm.   I hope to finish up the Strava kms while I’m in California.

I hate performance review time.  I hate doing my own (even though my boss is awesome) and I hate reviewing my team (even though they are great, too).  I like the raises, though!    I’m going to be working with a young lawyer from our outside firm in California who graduated from law school in 2015.  He’s a baby!  He is in for a real education with this particular project, which involves sitting in the back room of several of our retail stores and interviewing employees (all the way down to part timers).   It won’t be his typical day in the LA fancy office building.  I did an aerial map check of the area around my first hotel and it looks like there is some residential area that I can easily access for my run in the morning.  I hope it isn’t sketchy.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

. . . . dreaded Self-Evaluation.   I have taken to just printing my last year's version and revising it slightly.

To see if he actually does read it, one of these days add, "I"m fabulous, dahling, absolutely fabulous!" 

Drizzly and damp here today.  Makes me want to be at home in my PJs reading a good book with a cat on my lap.

Saw this on FB today.  I just don't understand the cheating mentality.  What went wrong in a person's life that they resort to cheating to get adulation?  https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/2018/01/kelly-agnew-aty-dq-cheat.html

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

pfriese

A windy but otherwise pleasant day to go to the park to run some intervals. Total distance of 7.3 miles with warm up & cool down.

Paul

...welp,

received the Coveted PT ''Sliver Exercise Band''  today

this thing

is about

as Elastic as a Bicycle Tire

''what is this??'' I asked

''it's the one we use for Athletes'' my PT-ist said

whilst

Flattered,

I about gave myself a HERNIA trying to use it.

...............but I get to keep it,

and I'm not giving it back........

============

50-min x-bike

...................good Running to Ya.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I have never really understood performance reviews. If you are supervising someone and they mess up or do well you should tell them right then and there. What is with the wait for the year's end? I also suspect most people know if they are doing a good job or not. Most positions have a pretty well defined measure of output. In my area the good news is that you only receive these evaluations (at a serious level) early in your career. The bad news is that the odds of getting fired after one of them is north of 90%. For better or worse you know that when you start to play the game.

Ran 12 this morning. Roads were worse today than yesterday since we got some snow and icy rain last night. I took a picture for the relive if you want to see the additional snow cover on one of the roads. The temperatures were just over 32 for the second half of my run so the roads did eventually improve. The second picture in the relive is a view of Southport harbor with the Southport golf course in the background. Well that an my mitten. 

https://www.relive.cc/view/g16874028937

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

bioguy

Hi all

Once again schools were closed. Very icy this morning plus fog. Now 4 days in a row. It was beautiful by mid-afternoon. I had to wait for a service guy to come out; my water conditioner is on the fritz. After he left, (and me $273 poorer) I did 5.5. 1 mile warmup, then 3 at a tempo pace. Not sure how i got so slow, but these days, 8:45 is my tempo.

Funy to read about performance reviews. Teacher evaluation are a hoot. I am a national board certified teacher, was teacher of the year in my district, and spend summers teaching other biology teachers around the country how to improve. The administrators that observe me were all not so great in the classroom, so they never have any productive feedback for me, Hals my evaluation comes from test scores of students who might or might not care about their education at all, and part of my eval is how the entire school fares on state tests, even in subjects I don't teach. I'm hating all the paperwork ctap, but need to work another 6-8 years.

Tailwinds!