Masters Running

Saturday November 17 Monkey-Ready Runs (Read 356 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

DH checked our credit card statement online this morning (as he does every day) and found a pending $1800 transaction for Qantos Airline. Apparently the purchase was made in Las Vegas...I spent 30 minutes or so on the phone  with the fraud department and now the card is cancelled and cut up.  Couldn't come at a less convenient time, though, with me heading out of town.  The only other credt card we have is one with a $300 limit for DS to use for gas.  Good thing I got a cheap hotel rate....Joking

2.05 miles for me this morning in 33 degrees with some striders.

Time to finish packing and head out!

Happy Saturday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for all your good thoughts about our departed friend yesterday. We spent some time with his wife yesterday afternoon, and she is dealing remarkably well. They had spent a lot of time together over the last year talking about and preparing for his passing, which has served her quite well.

Holly, that is an awful way to kick off your trip. However, thank goodness that DH checks your statement daily so that you knew of this problem before you left. I hope the rest of your weekend goes much, much better!

12.2 miles at 4:10 this morning under clear star-lit skies and at 29F with a northerly breeze. I started on an inland route, and eventually passed by a lot of homes with lights coming on as 'normal' people started their days. I saw the sky lightening up off to the east, and so turned toward the coast and picked up the pace for a couple of miles to try to get there by sunrise. Turns out, I was early and had to spend some more time walking up the coast waiting for the sun to break the horizon. Once it did I headed home, looking forward to a hot shower and a good cup of coffee.

Good luck, good speed, and good times to this weekend's racers!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Good luck to all of you doing the Monkey...that doesn't sound right...anyway, good luck and have a great time. Man, I wish I could be there. I am in Joplin, MO, for the DII National Cross Country Championships. It's not as exciting as it has been the last three years, I have to say. Ever since Ryan was a freshman, he has made the national team....last year he was All-American. This year, he's the alternate. So, unless something happens to the other 7 guys, (and, of course, I hope nothing does) Ryan won't even be running, today. It's been a really tough season for Ryan. Dang! There I go, again...sorry to be such a downer. Good luck to everybody else racing this weekend, too!

[[[holly]]/////........that sux

[[[[[[ryan]]]]]]]

======

.......Cool and Clear in Tennessee,,,,,,,,,,,,,,should be Great Racing Weather

except for Paul who posted he hit a Deer in his Prius......luckily he's ok

30-min poolrun

........Claire's

in for an EarlyThanksGiving,

and

bringing her bike to ride with GrandDaddy...........ohboyohboy

right after

we take her to see ''Annie'' at the DramaCenter.

In-Laws hit tomorrow,,,,,,,,,,,,,early non-Claire bike ride to fortify myself

...................good running guys//////////////........GoodRacing MonkeyPeople.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

Good luck to the racers this weekend!

Mike-enjoy the championships anyway.  I'm sure there'll be some great performances.

Gorgeous autumn morning that started off with a light frost and warmed up with golden sunshine.  Sproinky 18.1 miles for me, my longest is quite some time.  Felt great all the way. Smile

Be safe. Be kind.

Best wishes racers!

Mike watch and cheer for my neighbor Stephanie Case of Slippery Rock U.  

Really nice morning to run here too!!! 25F and clear 32 at finish, almost perfect...6.2 miles w/DW around the neighborhood

Well I was asked to run in the USATF CC National Championships for the Eastern Buckeye Track Club. I'm going to do it with the goal of trying to not finish last, Roll eyes  Had to join the club $30, USATF $30 and team shirt $20 already cost 80 still have to register (team captian has to register everyone), travel and stay in Lexington, KY.

Oh well could a once in a lifetime opportunity.

TW sounds like a wonderful day w/Claire

Have a Great Weekend!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

King of PhotoShop

Lots of monkey business going around with stolen cards and deer. Sorry for both of you.

6 today gave me 40 for the week again. I looked at my log and noticed that I have run 1,800+ miles the last two years and am on pace to run 1,800+ again this year, but my years of getting over 2,000 are now behind me I think. OTOH, I'm happy with where I am and in decent shape right now.

Excited about tomorrow. I'm going to meet SpareTire at White Rock Lake and we'll do a loop around it (9.3), but i'm going to do my wave run, which means that for 5 of the miles I'm going to take off on him, then jog back and meet up with him and keep repeating the process.  My guess is I'll get in 12 or so.

Project today is to teach 16 year old Riblet how to change a flat tire. No, we don't have a flat but I want him to know how to do it, and to do it SAFELY.   Spareribs

Mariposai

It is hard to believe that Riblet is already 16! Before you know it he will be off to collage.

Pirate, enjoy your date with Claire. We need to see pictures of the two of you on your bike.

Speaking of pictures, I rather enjoyed seeing henrun and marj's grand-baby's pictures! Thanks for posting them!

Holly, that is not a good way to start your trip. My DS#2 also had the same problem this week, but the charge was much less.

Wildchild, with your altitude training you will BQ the day you run a flat marathon!

Well, this is going to be a fun weekend with the Monkey meet-up and running. Pictures, please!

A much needed lazy morning for me. I even slept until 8am!! That felt yummie Joking But now it is time for me now to go out for a 13 miler. Then it will be time to do some home-caring. Tonight my DH and I will have two little play mates (ages 3 and 7 months) coming to visit us while their parents go out on a date. We are looking forward to our playtime with them.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mike E

MM #5615

She was 64th Sarge

aka FlyingFinn

Nice sproinky long run Tramps.

Enjoy the play date Mariposai and have fun with Claire tw.

A bright sunny towpath 5 miles this morning followed by some chainsawing. DH is now blowing leaves around so we can pile them on a tarp and carry them up to the garden for a winter blanket of mulch.

Have fun racers!

Instructions for living a life:

Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.   ~~~Mary Oliver

Nice long run there Tramps.

Gorgeous grandbaby Marj and Henry.

Well, no turkeys for me.  I didn't come even remotely close to my predicted time for this 4 mile race (about 3 minutes slower? - that is huge for just 4 miles!)  The hills were much, much bigger than I expected and I had to walk up part of two of them.  And, only the finish was chip timed, so I got sacked with an extra 20 or more seconds because it took a while to cross the starting line.  And, I had to wait at a crosswalk since the police were letting the runners cross in batches, not continuously.  But, I did enjoy the downhills!  I met a nice woman, and it turned out she won!  She was 9 seconds off her predicted time.  She also won a pie, so I guess she is all set for Thanksgiving.  The big raffle prize was a 4 day cruise.  Nope, didn't win that either.

Funny thing, this woman, she said, as she conspicuously glanced at my grey roots, "I bet we are in the same age group".  I didn't say anything, then later she told me her age.  Apparently I look 11 years older than I am.......Sad

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

King of PhotoShop

Enke, runners often comment that they wish we did it the way tri people do. Age written right on your leg, then we wouldn't have these embarrassing encounters and awkward comments.

We finished the tire changing lesson and he did great. I had him read the manual and do all the work, while I watched and explained why you do things the way you do.  I bet Doug and others my age have changed many tires. I know when I was younger I did. We had no money and often rode around on baloney-skins.  There weren't so many roadside assistance clubs either.  But youngsters ought to learn how to change a tire just in case, and know the risks in using a jack and how to loosen and tighten the lug nuts.   Spareribs

We finished the tire changing lesson and he did great. I had him read the manual and do all the work, while I watched and explained why you do things the way you do.  I bet Doug and others my age have changed many tires. I know when I was younger I did. We had no money and often rode around on baloney-skins.  There weren't so many roadside assistance clubs either.  But youngsters ought to learn how to change a tire just in case, and know the risks in using a jack and how to loosen and tighten the lug nuts.   Spareribs

You're right, Ribs. I changed many a flat back in the day. Of course, the old unbelted bias-ply tires were much more prone to flats -- especially when nearly bald! -- and the really old ones with tubes were even worse. I can't even remember now the last time I changed a tire on the road; my only changes these days are when I swap summer and winter tires in the garage (something you've never heard of in Texas).

I did not instruct my DS before he went away to school, but he actually managed to figure it out by himself, with the owner's manual, at night, using only the light from his cell phone screen. Then later I went over proper procedures with him!

6 miles this morning with a small but congenial pack of oldsters plus one younger gal. Again cold but sunny and no wind; I could keep this up all winter!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I've been a road club member for decades but they take so long just to bring out a Slim Jim, I never dreamed anyone would have 'em come out to change a tire. .

Enki,
                              since I’m as much older to her as she is to you,
                              next time show me who she is and
                              I’ll ask her if she’s in my age group!
                              Speaking of tri’s, hope TryByll’s not giving up on them.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tramps

Changing tires?

Isn't there an app for that?

Be safe. Be kind.