Masters Running

Saturday, June 21st Daily (Read 371 times)

Good morning. WHAT did I eat last night? I had HORRIBLE dreams which is usually an indication for me of something I ate. Then I slept in longer than normal this morning. Oh well, I am now up and ready to go for the day. I hope you have a great game of golf this morning Breger. That sounds like fun. Lou......Losing stats drives me crazy too. I have a hand written copy of just about every mile that I have run since I started in 2003. I also now have it all copied in the training log here for totals and my Garmin records as well. A BIT of an overkill for sure, but I enjoy that side of it. So when I miss something, it does bug me. I trust that Holly and Sue (and their respective spouses) had a great anniversary. Sue's mention of a flight sounds promising for some fun. Perchcreek.......Spareribs mentioned your excellent plan and execution for running yesterday. I have marvelled at this too. You seem to be great at always having a plan and then have the discipline to DO what the plan calls for. GREAT JOB.......Do you feel that your injury a couple years ago and then the need to be disciplined for recovery has ended up being a positive in regards to making and keeping a plan? I had that thought and wondered if it is the case. DickyG.....Be careful on pushing too hard with that groin muscle injury. That is an area that can flash back on you easily and is difficult and slow to recover from. You might want to err on the side of over caution. Good luck with that. Thanks for posting. Tall......I will be anxious to hear how L does in her elite runners race. That sounds like a great plan. Is it totally be run "by invitation only"? So I guess it is safe to say that you are out with the "fast wimmin" today. Teresadfp..... I never responded to your question a week ago about Bucksport. I did grow up there and the paper mill is where my Dad worked for over 30 years. It was a great little town to grow up in. They have certainly developed the waterfront property since I left. I have not seen the new bridge since it opened. The last time I was there it was in the construction stage. I have spent many hours as a kid exploring the Fort and all the grounds around. We used to know of secret tunnels that were not open to the public that went from the inside of the Fort right down to the water's edge. Fun days again from my memory. CNYRunner.....That was a neat experience to see those soldiers. I have experienced a similar response by airport crowds when these soldier heroes are going through a terminal. Doug......Those were great pictures yesterday of your bike trip. I trust you enjoy these next couple of days doing more of that. Tammy.....Go ahead and post on the closed thread. This is a very therapeutic experience of unloading in a safe environment where no one will read your secrets. Very good experience. Well........it is time to get my day going. I hope to get a nice run in later in the day and will post that. This is again a great running month for me. Have a great day, runner friend. Enjoy this lovely weekend and stay safe, wherever you may be.
    Vista

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Good morning! Vista... my injury taught me to wear wider shoes Big grin. I think that was the main cause. But it also taught me the importance of recovery, backing off at the slightest problem, mixing running speeds, terrain, surfaces. I also think that raw mileage fortifies every part of your body that is used for running. Unfortunately, running "smart" is by trial and error schooling. Ran hills at GA or MP today. 5 x 2.2 mile loops. The first one was a warm-up with Tory at 9:19 pace. Then 8.8 miles at 7:53 pace. Overall: 11 miles in 1:29:47 (8:09 pace, AHR 156). Felt great! Have great runs!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning all. no run to talk about, just a little walking. yesterday and this morning I'll be at our town's Relay for Life for the American Cancer Society. DW stays all night, I get to go home and take care of the animals. DW's team sold "Lap Necklaces" as their on-site fund raiser. you buy the necklace to start and then grab a bead to put on it every time you pass the table. One middle school girl had accumulated over a 1/2 marathon Shocked by the time I left last night. can't wait to see how she's doing this morning. Hope everyone's runs and race go well today. I off to help pack up. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Vista – thanks, we had a lot of fun at the show last night and the kids and I had a great picnic/bike ride at lunch. Why, with all my running, is biking not easier? DS was laughing at me, huffing and puffing up the hills. Different muscles, I guess. Confused Perch - nice run! Stumpy/Kameele - nice job, good cause. Smile 4.2 easy-paced miles for me today, with 5 x 100M striders. (See Spareribs, I AM listening… Wink...) It was hard for me to stop at 4 miles, since it’s not until the 4th mile (and the 4th strider) that I begin to feel good and loose, but I had to remind myself that, what with the added running day this week and the couple of extra miles added to my LR tomorrow, my mileage will still be 20% higher this week from last. Off to many errands. Happy Saturday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Happy Summer Solstice! My in-laws were married 50 years ago today in Birmingham, Michigan. The bride was 20 and the groom---all creased and pressed in his Air Force uniform---was 25. Happy Day P & D! I celebrated the solstice by running 20.4 miles with all the Js at 8:57 pace. We chose a hilly route (well, there are always hills in our loops) and pulled each through some good miles. We made some fall marathon plans ---Marine Corps, Albany, Hartford, Baystate, Portland (Maine) and mostly talked about kids and the plans for the summer. Spicy J barked at me when I charged the hills, but that’s how I like ‘em. School is out as of 6/24 and we’ll start scattering as vacations, camp schedules and the like take over. Dr. J’s son is doing well and recovering from surgery in good form. Canada J and Dr. J have their eldest going off to college in the fall, so that took up several miles too. Iron J made us laugh our way into oxygen debt with a medley of 70s songs. 20.4 miles in 3:02, 60F---fog then bright sun with calm winds and moderate humidity at 6:30 AM. It’s great to be home. Off to do some weeding and then another baseball layoff game for the kiddo. CNYrunner
            Dave59

A long, hard, tough, slogging 9 mile run this morning for me. The rest of you who make running sound like fun are making me sick. Tongue Big grin (Where is that endorphin induced pleasant feeling I should have????)

Vista with yet another great lead off Smile Nice to see some happy anniversaries, I can't believe it's almost 29 years for me & DW. I wanted to watch College World Series last night but neighbor ran into utility pole with his lawn mower Roll eyes and knocked out the cable. I listened on North Carolina radio, great game Carolina wins on 9th inning grand slam Smile I'm actually on the Fresno State bandwagon, I have a great history of picking the winner. 6.2 miles with DW then I continued for 2 more loops of the neighborhood, total 8.7 miles in 10:05 pace. Enjoy the weekend

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Good Saturday morning Boomers. An absolutely beautiful morning here - 59F at 6:00 AM, blue skies, no wind. I ran my 10K route in 1:01, then walked another mile to cool down. Legs felt okay after walking 18 holes of golf yesterday (I shot a 99 - best round of the season so far!) and then cutting the grass. Hopefully, everyone is enjoying great weather today. Vista - what DID you eat last night?! The dreams must have been pretty bad for you to not tell us about them! Hope you get time for a nap this afternoon. Nice runs, Perch, Holly and CNY Runner, out with "the J's." I agree with Dave, you guys have way too much fun on your runs! It's great that you all have each other to share your runs/lives with. Happy belated anniversary to Holly and Sue. How was the concert, Holly? Did you hear Cheesburger in Paradise and Margaritaville? Kevin - it's great that you volunteer for the Relay for Life. Hope your DW isn't too tired - maybe you should cook dinner for her tonight! Off to hang clothes on the clothesline - love how they smell when they dry. Enjoy your runs, everyone. Jeanne
                    June has been a month of lots of exercise for me, but not so much running. CryI've added many yoga classes and weight lifting and, best of all, DH and I have been taking ballroom dance lessons for the BIG EVENT! Big grin So I think all of this has caused me to not have the energy to tackle more than a few miles at a time. How often will I have that excuse? However, a week from today, I will get to wear my MOB dress and entertain 200 guests all night long to the music of Super T! Cool Life is good. Happy Saturday all!
                      jlynne......Well, I had 2-3 separate dreams and they all ended up tragically with someone dying. That is VERY strange for me and a bit upsetting. How much of this has to do with my brother's problems and how much with my food intake etc. I am not sure. I WILL work in a nap though....hehehe. By the way, you just keep racking up the miles. When do you feel safe saying you will shoot for the 2,000 KM goal? You are currently about 143 miles AHEAD of the 2,000 KM pace bunny. You could almost crawl and make it by now. The 1,000 mile goal is definitely going to be history for you and it is only 240 or so miles more to do the 2,000 KM. Just a thought and I am not trying to put pressure on you at all. Several have mentioned about runs not being fun. I have noticed that for some reason, the enjoyment part of the run does not happen until 2-3 miles into my run when I have sort of "burned" into the run. That being the case, if someone not dedicated to running and who only went a mile or two, they would never GET to the place of enjoyment. I am not sure if my experience would be true with a non-runner though. They might not have the conditioning to get to a comfort zone for running. The college world series is fun. The teams at this stage are looking for the solid pitching performance or the big hit, like the grand slam for NC last night. College athletics is SO much more fun to watch than the pro level is. Joey
                      Vista
                      stumpy77

Trails are hard!

A quick update on our Relay super walker. She's 11 years old and ended up with 27 miles accumulated over about 12 hours. Must be nice to be young!!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Went out for a MP 5 mile run today but I am not sure what that is anymore. Last marathon training cycle I was doing 9 minute mile MP runs but I am not sure how much to shave off this time around. Anyway 1 mile warm up and 3 miles at 8:20 then 1 mile cool down and my average still came out to 9 minute miles ! My same old MP run. Roll eyes Any suggestions on picking a new pace for this time? I ultimately would like to dream of a Boston qualifier but cutting a minute a mile seems a little risky. I have a 20k coming up on the 4th of July so maybe I should try a 8 minute mile pace to determine if I think that I could train for and hold it for a full Marathon. CNYRunner, You are lucky to have running partners that can stick with you for 20 miles. Or is it the other way around Wink Sounds like it sure makes the run go by a lot faster than when out by ones self. Happy anniversary to the 3-some. Wow this is a very progressive group lately. Shocked Dave59, Ya never know when it hits but that runners high or groove or whatever is like a highly habit forming drug. Once you have had it you are always trying to get more of it. I enjoy every run some just more after its over. Big grin Good runs everyone Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Mariposai

Yeap Spareribs, Holly and I are listening. I also shortened my recovery run this morning to 4 miles and choose the easier route as well. The 18 miler I did yesterday plus the 2 miles walk left me a bit tired still. Now that I understand the purpose of the recovery runs I feel like I am giving my body more time to recover to be ready for a longer run tomorrow. I am having fun with my little girlfriends (ages 4 and 2). They are spending the weekend with us. Life is so different with kids around the house.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

Went out for a MP 5 mile run today but I am not sure what that is anymore. Last marathon training cycle I was doing 9 minute mile MP runs but I am not sure how much to shave off this time around. Anyway 1 mile warm up and 3 miles at 8:20 then 1 mile cool down and my average still came out to 9 minute miles ! My same old MP run. Roll eyes Any suggestions on picking a new pace for this time?
                              Larry, when you go out to do a MP run and you have a warm up and a cool down, you should not count that overall pace in assessing your MP run. You might have logged your run as follows: W/U: 1 mile MP: 3 (8:20) C/D: 1 Total avg pace: 9:00 You will see that other runners calculate it in that way, such as Lou, Perch and a few other fast guys, and it is the way it should look in your log. Also, it's generally a good idea to run at paces based on your best, most recent marathon time, rather than the one you hope for. Later in the training you can always adjust the times to be faster, but it is best if you get adjusted to running your previous MP now and not try to do everything at once. You have time, and you may surprise yourself by how fast you can sustain a quicker pace as you go deeper into your training cycle. No need to get impatient or frustrated on the first day of summer. Perch and CNY: Well done. I did the six I needed today to get myself to the 40 mile mark for the week, my first week at that mileage in over a year. I finished the run with a sub-8 half mile, feeling very good. And believe me, next week will be a cutback week. My next goal will be to move some of my daily runs from "slow" pace to "easy" pace. Little by little! Spareribs
                              DickyG

Lots of great posts...and runs...today. Percheek: That's outstanding! CNYrunner: 20 miles on the hills at sub-9:00...that's awesome...I haven't done that in over 20 years. Dave59: I agree...running is DEFINATELY not fun (at least for me). Unfortunately, I can't hit a curveball anymore and my 3-point shot sucks...so running is about all that's left. Sarge: How can you root for UNC? My sister went there! Besides, I went to UVA.. Not pushing my ruptured groin muscle but I'm doing the best I can...It's getting a little stronger...yesterday marked 3 weeks. Did 4 miles today in 39:14...did a little over 2 miles before I had to walk. I'm so out of condition that fatigue is just as much of a problem. I'll see how I do tomorrow...playing in my first softball game in 3 weeks, although I'm moving from center field to second base.