Masters Running

Friday's daily, 2.14.14 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!! I hope you get whatever is important to you, even if it is just qt (quality time) with a sweetie.That's what I'm hoping for with DW!

Once again, I'm behind the 8-ball today: We chose a beneficiary for our half marathon, so now I have to notify those that didn't get chosen, and bring the winners up to speed as quickly as possible. We are also going with an entirely new scoring system for our 8-race series, so I have to get that started, and figure out how to communicate the changes to all the participants who have gotten used to a different system over the last 10 years. I did some snow-clearing last night, and did from the garage to the street this morning. I still have to do about another 500 ft. of driveway and the back walk and deck. Of course, we got some rain on top of yesterday's snow, and it's heavy stuff. So moving that wet snow is going to be my workout today.

Have a greta Valentine's Day!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning Jay and all to follow.

Be careful with that heavy snow, Jay.

This morning when I got up I saw 31 degrees on the outside thermostat and thought, “Heat Wave!” and couldn’t wait to get suited up to run outside. What I didn’t count on was the ferocious wind, and I wasn’t quite dressed warm enough after all. Still, the full moon setting was such a beautiful sight that my cold hands didn't really bother me.

8 miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

4.61 miles in light snow for me this morning.  About 25° when I started.

Jay - There is a half marathon series in Michigan that I am contemplating doing this year.  At least as many as I can get to.  I don't have any hope of scoring in the top half of my age group, but it seems like a good way to stay in shape.  They score age points based on the number of finishers.  If there are 18 people, 1st place gets 18 points and last place gets 1 point.  Some races have a lot more people than others so it's important for the people competing not to miss those.  Here is the home page if you care.  It is pretty low key and it hasn't been updated for 2014 yet: http://www.michiganhalfseries.com/index.html

Mari - Fantastic full moon picture yesterday.

Mariposai

Jay, you are welcome to fly out west and remove my wet snow from my driveway after you are done with yours.

Holly, I am glad you enjoyed the full moon too. She sure was gorgeous last night here. Great 8 miles.

Dave, lucky you!!! you got light snow Smile)

Enkie, that police encounter would have scare me.

With the clear sky and gorgeous full moon last night I never expected to get snow this morning. I was Uu a little early this morning to prep all the ingredients for a romantic valendine's day breakfast for my DH before I went out for a run on the wet, heavy snow. The run was slow, very warm and melodious. I like little surprises.

After my run I proceeded to cook the French Omellette, served with various types of fruits. A little tango music in the background and the snow falling outside.... a perfect way to start the day.

Now it is time to go to the licensed kitchen place to start my cooking extravaganza. Cooking a Mediterranean Banquet for 130 people. Wish me luck!!! No time to share the menu right now. I will tomorrow.

Let us all celebrate LOVE today!

Carpe Diem my friends!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

janie b good

my training plan called for 2 miles EZ ... so I didn't argue.

2.2 TM miles

happy valentine's day!

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

I want to have dinner AND breakfast with Posie.  She kills me with her food descriptions.

Steve - . . . . just shaking my head at the description of your new coworker and his activities.  Hopefully, he doesn't get hurt OR hurt someone else.

Sorry - Have to put up a correction.  "Grumpy Old Men" - Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau.  Walter Matthau was always one of my favorite actors.

My 8 miles yesterday went better than Tuesday's 7, but the legs were still tired.  Took today off completely - no ST, nothing.

Won at Bonkos again last night.  I think the last 12-15 months, I've taken home money all but 2 or 3 times, and a number of times, it's first place, so $60.  It's good to be Queen . . . . . oh, and lucky.  We were short a person, so the hostess' son, who's in the 5th grade, played.  He was a ton of fun.   About halfway through the game, she started apologizing because she didn't know about the "rule" of no men, no kids.  We didn't care!  As long as he wasn't obnoxious and played by the rules . . . oh, and didn't win! . . . . nobody had a problem with it.  And luck him - he got to hang out with 11 women who could be anywhere from his mom to his grandmother.  The best part was he WANTED to.  Luke may end up on the sub list.

Our local road running club - 6 Rivers Running Club - is actually putting on a trail race this year in June.  I am in total shock because it was a short few years ago when Karen approached them about backing her in putting on a trail run and they shut her down with a "We don't do that."  I'm be very interested to see how it goes and hope it's successful.  I don't know if I'll be able to run it, but if not, I'll at least volunteer to work an aid station.

TAMMY - Anybody up your way interested in coming down for this?  The course is going to be beautiful.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

King of PhotoShop

Happy Valentine's Day to everyone except Tet and the other old guys.  You women?  Totally different story.

The Saint and I made this deal for this year's V Day.  No store-bought cards, no gifts to exceed ten bucks. Think we're cheap?  Not at all. You try doing something meaningful and creative on ten bucks!  We don't see the logic of paying Hallmark to say things we ought to say to each other directly.  I wrote her a nice love poem and put it on notepaper, then made tartlets with chocolate ganache and topped with miniature Dove dark chocolate candies.  Prolly a better V Day gift than I have ever gotten her.

5 miles by myself today. I'm a bachelor runner for a week while my partner is in CA watching her K State son play baseball out there.  Spareribs

I am with you fatozzig about dinner at Maraposai's house. I'll pick you up on the way! Makes my stomach growl just thinking about it.

And nice and sweet present Ribs and for a "holiday" that gets so cluttered these days. Mr CNYrunner proposed on Valentine's Day in 1991 and every year he recreates the dinner he made for me back then. I don't need anything else (not that I would return anything sparkly though....ha!)

Ran 10 miles in Yak Traks---fierce wind and two feet of snow from rounds one and two of storm Pax (who chose that name---stoooopid). Well the two feet of snow was piled on the side of the roads, I didn't run through that. My flight to CA on Monday can't come soon enough. Good thing the kiddo graduates from HS on June 1, otherwise he'd be making up for snow days right and left.

C-R

Well done Ribs and since I'm not one of the old guys - Happy Valentine's Day to you too. And to all the lovely ladies as well.

Careful with that wet snow Jay.

Glad you got out early Holly since it's snowing again and coming your way. Only 3" so its just an annoying dusting.

I had to go look up what a French omelette is. Very nice. I only know the Waffle House kind (yum)

janie - that was me with the 50 minute remark and yeah 50 mile recovery run would have been an interesting thing.

Good luck Dave - half of winning is showing up.

So I ran a little more than 45 minutes today. Having some "issues" but will run again with my son tonight.

Has anyone ever heard of parkrun? Organization in UK that helps people host weekly community 5ks which are free for participants. Looks like they ask the community/parks folks to pony up about $6k for timing system, web support, marketing, training etc. One time fee. Seems a pretty interesting way to get people out to run at no cost.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

TammyinGP

I like Ribs' idea of Valentines.

Leslie - I'll check that race out! I wonder if the running club is now seeing an increase in popularity in trail running so is thinking "we better tap into this" whereas before it sounds like they scoffed at the idea.

nothing special planned here today. It's raining heavily here, which we need (actually we NEED snow in the mtns, but it's too warm for that). Tomorrow should be another wet 5K. And then we should have a break in rain on Sunday afternoon, so better take advantage of that to get in a long run. I apparently signed up for this HM while injured and not running and have yet to really doing any training for it. May will be here before I know it!

Tammy

Leslie - I'll check that race out! I wonder if the running club is now seeing an increase in popularity in trail running so is thinking "we better tap into this" whereas before it sounds like they scoffed at the idea.

That's exactly what I think is happening, along with more of their own members getting more involved with trail running.  Might just make me want to become a member again!

And this morning, I was able to connect with the contact person for this race.  She's up in AK somewhere getting ready to run a 50k tomorrow.  She gave me the names of four other women she runs with on a regular basis and who I've sent messages to on FB.  Maybe I can actually find someone to run with again once in awhile.  That sure would be a nice change of pace.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

NHLA

Its nice outside but I'm not running.  Hell of a week.  I have been pulled in so many directions at the same time I am worn out.

Export and domestic has picked up and I even got a big government order for wicker dam gates. They are the gates that open and close on a dam. Made out of 12"x12"x20' white oak timbers.

SteveP

I hope you only have sore muscles Jay.

Nice Ribs. DW and I keep it simple as well. The poem that MikeE helped with was not as well received as I had hoped. Perhaps, I should not have written it in the snow.

"Parkrun" sounds interesting.

I'm interested in seeing pictures NHLA.

The new guy at work got fired today. I really wanted to pull him aside and have a pow wow with him. One week from today, we're headed to FL.

SteveP

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Happy St. Valentine Day everyone.
                              All of you have such kind hearts, . . .
                              though one of of the better hearts' brains still seems to be losing it,   Smile
                              and I think my running got lost somewhere too, if I ever had it in the first place.

Happy President's Day three-day weekend too.

Another benefit of the aging process with more control over your time:

after taking a number and waiting for 30 minutes at a certain gov't office today,

I was asked politely if I wouldn't mind coming back on Tuesday.

No reason was given and I didn't care.

"Sure, no problem, happy valentine's day," I responded

The bewildered looking clerk was speechless.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

They are the gates that open and close on a dam. Made out of 12"x12"x20' white oak timbers.

That's some hefty timber!!  I'm guessing that you don't move those around by yourself.  Had to look that up--Google also gave me a "wicket" gate as an option.  You must be dealing with a pretty good sized dam.  Hydro?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.