Masters Running

Indianapolis Marathon. 17 October, 2009. nuthin' special. very long. (Read 336 times)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Indianapolis Marathon, 17 October, 2009

If there were to be a theme for a particularly wonderful five days in October, it would have to be “kindness”. The kindness of strangers and the kindness of friends and that one of a kind-ness…

We began our journey on Thursday. It rained for most of the drive from Williamsburg to Dayton. We listened to a book on my iTouch. That Old Cape Magic by Richard Russo. I liked his Empire Falls but was disappointed in this one, none of the characters were very endearing. So it was easy to turn off the story and enjoy supper and then a night’s rest in North Dayton.

We had arranged to go out to breakfast with Running Smarter (Amie). Much to our delight, she brought lil RS One (G) and lil RS Two! (J). We were seated near the big fireplace at the Cracker Barrel across the parking lot from our hotel. G and I were on one side of the table and Amie (in her Air Force uniform, camouflage) , J and Ralph on the other.

Amie’s little ones are as sweet as their mother and conversation was easy and the food, good. During our meal, one of the wait staff came to us and announced, “Your meal has been paid for. The person wishes to remain anonymous.” We looked at each other, bewildered. Ralph had wanted to treat us all but, the kind stranger beat him to it. 

It was great meeting Amie in person after “knowing” her since the early days at Cool Running. I’ve always admired her because she is such a disciplined and strong runner. In real life, she is a confident, lovely woman, generous with her smiles and charming with her wit. I am glad that she and Ralph met, too. I think they speak the same language… engineering! 

After bidding farewell to the Running Smarter family, we headed west to Indianapolis. After picking up our packets, buying some $3 gloves, a few Accel gels, and some Power Blasts, the phone rang and it was none other than the elusive cajohnson!

CJ is exactly like I had imagined. A lovely, soft spoken woman who radiates calm and peace. She allowed me to choose our lunch spot. Earlier, I googled the area and wanted to eat at Buca di Beppo. http://www.bucadibeppo.com/locations...?location=1402

Just like with Amie, conversation and smiles were free-flowing. Only this time, instead of a stranger picking up the tab, CJ insisted. I gave her a good fight (even using the breakfast story above as reason enough for us to buy), Ralph and I wanted to treat her to lunch since I had chosen the spot and she had taken the time to drive out of her way to lunch with us. I would have wrestled her to the ground for the check but, despite being a small woman, she is surprisingly strong.

We said good-bye after having our fill of eggplant parmesan, baked cheese ravioli and spaghetti with marinara sauce. And a delicious salad before all that! 

Race Day.
    What to wear? Or. What not to wear? It was cold and windy but promised to be clear and sunny at the start and would have been sunny at the finish had I not decided to stay on the course for an extra 15 minutes… It was maddening. That morning. In the hotel room. I had on tights. I took them off, how would I carry my gels? I had on my race ready skirt. Gee, my legs would be cold. We live in a swamp in Southeast Virginia. It has been quite warm. We trained all summer in heat and humidity. Would my legs seize up on me if they were bare to the wind?

I ended up wearing the tights under the skirt and looked like a real idiot. I also wore an under armour shirt over my favorite pink running bra and under my favorite 2008 Grand Rapid marathon shirt. I put on an extra shirt that I wouldn’t mind tossing. I topped it all off with a hot pink toque.

0830. 41° breezy at the finish, a little chillier at the start.
    Goal: 4:22. Chip Time: 4:37. Half marathon split: 2:11. You can sort of see what happened. 

Ralph wore the Garmin and planned to run the whole way with me, to keep me from going out too fast. This plan did not work. I do not blame him. 
    CJ met us at the start and wished us good luck. Did I mention that she is an angel? Before the gun, I handed her my throwaway shirt. The next time I saw her, I forget what mile marker, I handed her my three dollars gloves. She returned a cheer and a smile.

At about mile 7, the portaloo was calling Ralph’s name but, I talked him out of it, the line was just a few people deep so I wanted to press on… I felt good and (kiss of death music to be played now) was ahead of schedule.
    A little while later. I panicked. I thought, “I am way too hot. I have got to make a wardrobe adjustment.” So when we ran up to the VFW, I asked two guys, “Hey, do you all have a bathroom I could use?” “Sure! Just go through the bar.”

So Ralph headed to the Gents and I went to the Ladies and stripped off the offending tights. As I went past the guys, I dropped the tights on an orange cone and said, “I might come back for these.” They chuckled.
    Even with the few minutes wasted at the VFW, we were on target at the half. 

Although CJ would later tell us that she did not like this course (she had run this marathon a while back), we actually liked the course, with its beautiful trees of orange and yellow. What CJ did not care for were the numerous out and backs, these do not bother me, because I never know where I am anyway. There a few hills but they all occur in the first 11-12 miles. No biggies. I appreciated that CJ’s waited until she was walking us back to our car before she told us her opinion. She is the essence of Midwestern discretion.

I am unsure of what mile marker we saw CJ again but, it was after I had already broke. I managed to tell her that I would not make my goal. I did not want her to worry.

So. Poor Ralph had to watch me fade into a heap of crud; barely running the last 8 miles or so. I promised myself not to give in to the walking demons because I knew my frozen stumps would not return to running if they walked. It was ugly. I kept moving because I did not want to have an unjustifiable DNF on my record and, by golly, I like getting a medal.

With a mile or less to go, I was able to pick it up a little bit. And. Because a crowd was watching and I am a ham when I have an audience. I was energized to run my original goal pace for the last quarter mile… or so. Smiling and holding hands, Ralph and I finished the race while the announcer said, “And here come Ralph and Barbara Buehrle from Williamsburg, OHIO.” Well, at least he pronounced Buehrle correctly.

The kindness of that breakfast buying stranger. The kindness of that Marathon Cheerleading Angel “cajohnson”. And the one of a kind-ness that Ralph showed by putting up with me during countless training runs and one stupidly long marathon. All of this. Makes my life so much richer. Thanks.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Oh, this is such a sweet report Barb!!   I know you didn't run as well as you would have liked, but it sounds like the best weekend with kind-ness all around you!      Those VFW guys are probably still waiting for you to come back and get your tights!  Wink     Good job sticking with it!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Tramps

Aw, what a great report, Barb!  How can all that kindness be labeled "nuthin' special"?!  Sounds like you had some great meet-ups and a good time.

Sorry to hear the race was such a tough one, but I know you'll pick yourself up and head back out there soon enough. Rest up!

Be safe. Be kind.

Slo

So did you go back to the VFW ?

So cool to meet up with other RA'rs. And no clue to who picked your breakfast?

I really appreciate the time you all take to write these reports......it makes my life richer too.

Mariposai

This race report is full of "special morsels" to be digested slowly. You may have not met your targeted goal, but you sure know how to brighten people's lives even during a tough race. I can see those guys still smiling just thinking about the lovely marathon runner who used their potty. I also imagine that your running friends are that much richer because they have finally met the lady with "red-colored-glassess"

Congrats on your 15th FINISHED marathon Barbara Buehrle from Williamsburg, OHIO . You are an inspiration my diva friend.

And...

what a supportive husband you have. I can't wait to meet both of you someday.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

It was a delight to meet you and Ralph this weekend.  You are as delightful and sunny as I imagined you would be.  And Ralph is a great guy too as you are well aware!

Here's hoping to meet up with you both really soon!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

wildchild

Carolyn

What a great RR - thanks for bringing us along with you every step of the way!  That was a long way to drive - Williamsburg to Dayton to Indy to Columbus, but what a great bunch of RA-ers you got to meet!   Your Ralph sounds like a real gem, too.   Sorry the wheels fell off at the end, but sounds like you had a wonderful weekend anyway.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

#artbydmcbride

Nice job, rosecoloredglasses!   I am so happy to hear you are running so strong and uninjured.  Congrats on marathon 15!!  

Runners run

evanflein

What a great report! Even with missing your time goal, sounds like you had a lot of really good take-aways from this weekend. Lucky you to have met cj, I've wanted to do that for awhile! Sometimes, doing these races is not about the race itself, but meeting some very special people along the way. I'd say it was a success!

(buying service members their meal is a common thing around here... if Amie had her uniform on, that's probably what prompted it. A nice way of saying "thank you!")

Thanks for a great report. Congratulations on yet another marathon.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

I really enjoyed reading your report, RCG.  What a neat time you had meeting other RA people and running with your husband.  Congratulations.

TomS

awesome race report -- sounds like many beautiful moments along the way!! 

15 marathons is certainly an accomplishment to be proud of and Ralph sounds like a keeper!!

denise

Hey Barb - excellent race report - one of the more entertaining race reports I've read - I' m still chuckling.  I like getting the medals too!!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Marathon Maniac #957

So. Poor Ralph had to watch me fade into a heap of crud; barely running the last 8 miles or so. I promised myself not to give in to the walking demons because I knew my frozen stumps would not return to running if they walked. It was ugly.

Too funny!  And all the more because I know exactly what you mean.  What a joy it was to finally meet you, Rose/Barb, and your rocket scientist, Ralph!  And, speaking of kindness, it was incredibly kind of you and Ralph to stick around to cheer us on at Columbus.  I can’t tell you what a lift it gave my heart to look up and see your happy smile and wave twice during my run.  While this marathon might not have had the results you wanted, I hope you find another up our way again sometime.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

See, I think that they are all special.  It is just that unpredictability that makes the marathon such an enticing adventure. 

Sometimes we get the unpredictable-good, and sometimes the unpredictable-bad.  It sounds like you got a little of both on this one, but 'cause you're RCG, you have focused on the good.

Thanks for this great report.  I can attest to anyone reading, that the fun factor is greatly enhanced by any marathon where we get to hang out with you two!

Congrats on medal #15!

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason