Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 8.8.18 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Tuesday’s workouts:

RunnerKSA (2 post-work TM miles)

Marj (yoga + 3 mile powerless walk)

Jlynne (10 mile morning bike ride in 72°, 61° dew point)

Dave59 (3.03 park miles after key-retrival cross-training)

Pfriese (7.4 miles, including 4X1200m intervals w/400m recoveries)

anneb (5.4 pre-work miles in the forest preserve w/ temp and dew point at 69)

Henrun (3.2 muggy morning miles)

Fatozzig (3 morning miles, mostly running)

Holly (4.6 exhausted miles)

Tramps (20 very humid morning bike miles)

Quickadder (5.2 early morning miles with DD in H&H)

Tomwhite (40 min elliptical)

Wildchild (1.5 mile post-surgery walk)

Evanflein (5.4 peppy lunchtime miles in 60° temps - almost IRC)

Holly (20 min light weights +spin/planks class at the Y)

Falconfixer (4 humid golf course miles at 8:40 pace)

C-R (evening track miles - 8X800 w/ 200 recoveries)

Surly Bill (4 trail miles)

So howcum all my work is volunteer work, and I still feel obligated to remain connected while away? Same thing - I'd have way to much to ketchup on when I got back if I didn't keep up while away, and in most cases, there isn't anyone else to pick up the slack. But I really don't mind it if it doesn't become too onerous. Speaking of being away - we'll be away for 10- days next month, and I will not be doing the daily wraps then. More on that trip in a few weeks…

As Surly Bill pointed out, being self-employed has it's own rewards that aren't necessarily monetary in nature.

Glad your surgery appears to have gone well, Wild. Be patient with your recovery.

Sounds like you're doing better today, Holly. Good deal.

As everyone else has said, Mike, you're a good man & son.

Steve, your idea of a normal day at work is a little different than most other people's...

Still lots of H&H around, so I'm glad you all are being mindful of it.

Lousy night's sleep last night, so I spelt in this morning. I also didn't mind skipping dealing with our H&H this morning.

Have a greta Wednesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Jay.  Glad to avoided the H&H this morning and got some rest.

3 miles this morning reluctantly.  It honestly feels like Florida outside.  The dog is having some stomach issues and got us (meaning my husband) up twice in the night, which never happens.  I was tired and my legs were tired, so I thought I would do 1 or 2, but once I got out there I decided to do 3.  Going to Colorado next week, so I'll get a break. 

2 miles on the treadmill after work and after dry needling mid-day.  Did it!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

5 miles for me this morning in a slight mizzle.

Got to go...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

I got caught in the rain again.  Third time in recent days.

I went to the park and as I started running a light rain started. I decided to stick to the .65 mile loop around the pond so I could quit if I wanted. (Normally I head out along the park roads.)

On the first loop, the rain got harder, and then let really let loose. I ducked under a picnic shelter when it got really bad. I was pretty sure this was just a small pop-up shower so I waited about 5 minutes until it let up some.  I went back out and ran until I got to 4 miles.  Eventually, the rain completely stopped.

Tramps

Interesting work and self-employment discussions. I've done it all, regular employment, self-employed, a hybrid. There are pros and cons to each but I lean heavily toward the self-employment side for all the reasons people have mentioned. I love the flexibility, no commute, etc.

Carolyn--I go about 15 miles an hour on a bike, so 50 miles is a little under 3 1/2 hours. Much easier than running, though, as you note.  Early start to beat the heat and I'm home by 10 a.m.  I'm trying to build a little endurance to do a couple of long rides this Fall.  BTW, your injury, diagnosis, surgery, and recovery seem super-accelerated. Whew!

Mike--there's something very fitting about enjoying a beer as one of life's little pleasures.

Almost didn't run today but dragged myself out in the H&H for 5 more. Oy! I'm ready for autumn.

Be safe. Be kind.

anneb

Karen, it feels like Florida all the way up here! It is so humid, today actually felt more humid than yesterday. My entire ponytail is dripping by the time I turn around on my run, which is usually shy of 30 mins. It IS more humid in the woods (swampy), but still.

Mike - good for you for getting that time in with your dad. It sounds like it means a lot to him now.

Another 5 miles for me this AM. Just can't wait for fall...

Anne

....welp, back from my Physical

NP (a Runner) said-

'' you're doing everything right,

but you know how it works at 68''

''yeah, it's gonna catch up with me'' I said

'''fraid so'' she said

''and that's why they Invented Cross-Training'' I told her

''you got it'' she said

so Arthritis in both hands in progress

BP of 136/84 pulse rate of 52.......my Main Concern with my Family History

the rest of exam  was good

although she had never seen a Divot  in my hip like what I got

get labs back next week

....so off to Shoot Stuff at the Range.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

bioguy

5.6 today at the beach house. Had a terrible nights sleep that I’m blaming on yesterday’s lunch. No run yesterday, but I cut grass in the heat, biked to the beach and ride waves on a boogie board which was loads of fun. Mrs bio and I went out to lunch later and I had 2 beers; came home and napped at least 2 hours. Need to get back to a routine; vacations are tough!

....so off to Shoot Stuff at the Range.....

This is the kind of crossing training I could get into!

I agree with the comments about Mike.

I like having my side business of transcription, but I don't know if I could do it as full-time self-employed.  I'm not sure I'm that disciplined.  Once in awhile I wonder if The Hub and I could make a go of it working his business, but then I slap myself across the face and remind myself I'm not looking for a divorce. 

Holly - Keep up the good work.  Question - Has your primary ever talked to you about other pain management options?  Sent you to a pain management clinic for an assessment?

Seems like not sleeping good was the order of the night around here, including me.  No workout, but since The Hub and I agreed we're on our own tonight for dinner (clean out the fridge night), I'll get a workout in after work.

I'm so excited!!!  I think I told you guys I had connected with a local PT who is also a runner/trail runner and he wanted to see me as soon as possible.  I called EPT yesterday, they had received my referral, and I'm actually getting in this Friday.  Woot woot!! At first I wasn't going to be able to get in for at least a week (I was expecting more like a month) and I didn't know why he wanted me to go to McKinleyville instead of Eureka.  The scheduler I talked to called him then called me back and said, "You're a runner?" Me: "Yes." Her: "That's why.  Can you come in this Friday?"  I may have been over the top with my thank you's to her.   So I see a new PT this Friday, next Friday I meet with a new ortho (provided I can actually get to Redding with the inferno that's blazing over there) - things actually seem to be looking up!!

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

pfriese

6 ezpz miles to the park & back.

Paul

Dave59

I agree with the comments about Mike.

Ok, but that is the last one or the guy is going to get a big head. He'll be impossible to be around.

Leslie- that's great news.  Can't wait to hear what he says and if he can get you back normal!  Surely the collective work of all of our treating sports practitioners can fix us all!

More dry needling today and pressing around on my hamstring and sit bone.  I'm definitely getting better but it's not there yet.  Follow up with the ortho who gave me the cortisone shot tomorrow.  My sports doc thinks the shot really helped me and they don't always....

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Carolyn--I go about 15 miles an hour on a bike, so 50 miles is a little under 3 1/2 hours.

Tramps - nice ridin’.  In 1987, the 17.5mph I could maintain for 112 miles at age 44 dropped to 14.9mph in my last IM’s in 2003-5 (age 60/61) and I could only manage 14.8mph for a measly 12 miles in this month’s annual triathlon at age 74 but it sure seemed fast enough for me.  "Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again."
                            Wildchild - although I can’t believe anything could happen to you, by an amazing coincidence, on the same last Friday you were in the hospital in Colorado for your meniscus repair, I was in the hospital in Seattle for meniscus surgery too, a painful “hangnail” type tear that needed to be snipped off.  However, fortunately, I was in the waiting room and it was DW’s tennis knee going under the knife.  We got to take off the bandages today with surgery follow-up next week.  Seems to have gone very well, though.
                            Leslie - with regard to your very courageous face-to-face with your attorney about your miscue last week, I’ll bet if you ask, there’d be enough lawyer miscues too that there should be some appreciation of the risks of all the overworking you have to do.  Good luck.
                            ps Jay - it’s okay but I thought you already went on vacation.
                            Probably won’t work but finally got the pictorial proof for posting in Posie's 7/21-22 Race Reports of how a guy who DGL’ed his AG and only missed DGL’ing the swim, bike and run by a couple of places (469/474 - 471/474 - 463/474) could still be having as much fun in this year’s 40th anniversary of annual, and more, triathlons as for the the first time sidestroking into last place out in the middle of some Alaska lake in 1978.  Sorry to be so slow but that's me now.

Unfortunately, my ability to post associated photos that would  make it worthwhile to share is even worse than my swimming, biking and running.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Anzlo

Out at dawn this AM for 8 easy miles in some hazy air.  Nothing like southern Oregon where the fires are but clearly the winds have carried the smokiness north into the valley.  The air quality is not bad, but noticeable.  Light cross training yesterday.  It's looking like I may struggle with back to back run days, at least for awhile; sends something internal digestive-wise the wrong way.  Since April the valley has had less than 1.5 inches of rain, that is very abnormal, and nothing but a trace since early June.  California and Oregon continue to burn like the last 4 years and it is looking worse yet this year. It is depressing.

Wishing you all the best for the remainder of this week !

65+ Bests: 5K-26:11, 10K-TBD, HM-TBD

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly - Keep up the good work.  Question - Has your primary ever talked to you about other pain management options?  Sent you to a pain management clinic for an assessment?

Well, yes, I can go to a pain management clinic, take a series of x-rays, do an MRI, and then probably get cortizone shots in my neck.  DH went this route this spring with his back pain and got some relief (although he will have to go back in a couple months for more shots, as it only lasts about 6 months).  However, this spring, when we had the good insurance, it still cost DH about $2000.  Our insurance changed 7/1/18 to high-deductible insurance and an HSA and it would likely cost me twice that much now, and with the dental work I have coming up, I am not willing to spend that.  Frankly, until it actually becomes agonizing, rather than simply nagging, I am not willing to spend much on this.

Tet - hopefully happy quick-healing to your DW.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."