Masters Running

Saturday Feb. 20 Master Runs and Workouts (Read 453 times)

Tinman wanted 10 miles easy, then 7 miles at MP.  For a while now, I've been pointing MP at 8:30, but his tables keep saying 8:19.  So I decided I'd try his number this time.

I started out and about 1/2 mile out my MP3 player went dead.  What the ...  I just charged it yesterday.  Not wanting to carry a dead player for 16+ more miles, I turned around and dropped it back at home.  I guess I'll be running 18 instead.

After running the "easy" part (is running ever "easy"?), I started the MP miles.  They didn't feel particularly easy, though they weren't hard either.  At 7 miles I decided to keep going at MP for another mile.  Ended up with 18 miles in 2:39 (8:53) with 8 miles at MP (average pace 8:17 or so).  The HR stayed in the high 140's for the MP miles.  Just about where it should be.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Very nice run Byll. I guess you can take ownership of "Tinman's MP" Smile

Hard: takes concentration and always wondering if you can keep up the pace (but you can)

Easy: you just run

4 Magical Healing Miles with Tory and Sadie in 39:31 (9:52 pace)

ETA: 2x20+11 pushups

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Tramps

dg—funny connection (Tri—grocery sled)

Welcome back, Tom.  Glad to hear your trip was a nice one.

Holly—happy shopping this weekend. 

lamerunner—sorry to hear about DD, but glad it’s been brought out in the open so you can address it.

Perch—ouch! I hadn’t seen that x-country story. Amazing.

Tammy—I’m still not talking to you until it warms up.

Steve—I just call it “run/walk”; everybody does it sometimes, don’t they?

Erika—nice to hear you’re getting a break in the cold.

Craneium—oooh, sounds nice; I hope you post pics.

Mari-- I’ll let DW know you’re cheering too.

Byll—great run.  I was wondering what I was going to do for tomorrow’s scheduled 20 and I think I might just take a cue from your run today….something with MP miles at the end.

Today's plan: Coffee cup curls.  Done.

After watching 3 minutes of ice dancing last night (zzzz) it occurs to me that we’re halfway through the Olympics and no one has raised the perennial sport/no sport discussion, so I searched the archives from the summer Olympics.  Here you go:

“With apologies to those of you who have heard this rant before…

Synchronized diving is not a sport. Neither is gymnastics. Nor synchronized swimming. Nor skeet shooting.

It’s simple really. Just two rules.

#1. A real sport must be based on some objective measure, such as goals/runs/points (field hockey, tennis, volleyball, baseball, etc), time (running, swimming, biking, etc) or defeat of an opponent (boxing). Any event whose outcome is determined entirely by subjective judging is not a sport (gymnastics, diving, etc). (Referees are allowed to enforce rules, issue penalties, and call points.)

#2 A real sport must involve physical exertion, not merely precision, and must be entirely human-powered. Equestrian events? Not a sport; get off the damn horse and run. Sorry you skeet shooting fans; not a sport. Archery? Heck, once that door’s open we’re one step away from Olympic darts. Sailing? Yes, it has an objective outcome but depends upon wind (not human) power; not a sport.

I hope I’ve helped clear things up.”

And just so you don't think I'm inflexible in my thinking, all those gravity-powered downhill sports in the winter Olympics have made me realize that the “human power” rule may need some tweaking….  I’m open to suggestions. 

Be safe. Be kind.

Renee the dog

Tramps,  .

18 miles today, interrupted at 16.65 miles by my family having mercy on me on a too windy, too busy access road (Avalon Blvd, Eliz -- can you believe in Feb??!!).  They drove by, made me run another 1/4 mi, while they lounged on the side of the road, then let me in the car.  I was half expecting the car to pull away as I got there... LOL

We went to breakfast, then we came home and I did my remaining 1.35 miles on the TM.  Not exactly the plan today, but I was getting rattled out there on the street with trucks and cars rumbling too close for comfort.  Still a bit too much snow in the side of the road for me to have enough "go" room if someone was an idiot behind the wheel.

Hope everyone is doing well!  Gotta go shower up.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Bill- Impressive run today!

Tramps-Ditto on the coffee cup curls.

Finished the week with 4 more miles on the trails here at South Mountain. This has been my highest weekly mileage of the year, all of it on trails.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Thanks tramps..

If Curling is a Winter Olympics sport then why is Billiards not a Summer Olympics sport?  What is the difference? Try to get a ball (or stone) in a hole (or circle) and try to knock opponents balls (stones) out of the way or block shots.  Looks the same to me.  Neither one generates one ounce (or gram) of sweat... OK maybe the sweepers sweat an ounce but sweat on that ice might be a disqualification.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

You could use "natural forces" as an allowed power, but that would allow sailing back in.  I think I'd take that to get skiing back in.

One hour pump class this morning.  Last week I thought I had too little weight on the bar, so I doubled it this week.  Big mistake.  I had a hard time getting my arms up high enough to wash my hair afterwards.  JUST a little less next week.

Nice long runs Byll and Nono.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Breger – you just keep getting faster and faster – great job!  Alas, I am just getting slower and slower as the winter progresses, so you and DW will have lunched and left before I finish Boston behind you…...btw, how is her backside doing?  Has she seen the doctor?

Tramps -

Nono – hey, you got er done.  This is why I set no speed goals for spring marathons.

Cranium – congrats on the weekly mileage PR!

Stumpy – at least you don’t have to use a blowdryer…

14 mile wave run on the TM, with miles 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 at (8:49, 8:27, 8:27, 8:27, 8:49), with several stops for water/potty, followed by 51 push-ups.  It’s so hard to go non-stop on the TM.  I need to get outside again…

Went shopping this afternoon and bought a very smart suit w/skirt at Macy’s – the only place that has a selection in 4 Petite.  As a matter of fact, that’s the smallest size offered.  I’m not even that small compared to some women – wonder where the skinny ones buy their suits? 

DH and I were supposed to go out to dinner last weekend, but he wasn't feeling good, so he's making it up to me by taking me to Sake, a Japanese restaurant, tonight.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps.......I hear ya, but can you make an exception for gymnastics?....  If  someone lands on their head or butt after a triple summersault or whatever....that is not very subjective.

I had my wedding reception in a curling club, now if that ain't Canajun enough I got some peameal bacon for ya eh.  Never had poutine though.  I want to try it but they don't sell it around here.

Great job on all the pushups guys/gals.  I don't think I can even do one.

Holly - just 9 days to March!

Nice run Byll

4 mile easy run...I saw the first mile was a little peppier than usual so I pushed mile 2, backed off mile 3 and pushed again a bit on mile 4.  Stupid foot started to hurt a bit so I don't know if I can make 8 miles tomorrow.  I will have to stay close to the car or house.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

9.5 for me this morning. Just now finding time to figure out distance and take time to post.  someday I'll get a garmin...

Tramps, you kill me. But, like Simon Cowell, you're usually right!  However I happen to think gymastics deserves to stay in.  Curling needs to be for  octogenarians and above.  What Perch said. 

Nono. my DH is constantly telling me to get off the highway, but I never listen. He would have enjoyed seeing me suffer out there while he watched from the car!  Good for your DH!

Stumpy - yeah for pump it up! Be careful w/ adding too much.  One time I used too much and I thought I had seriously strained my arm.  It gets a little easier each time.  

Holly, being short, I feel your pain. But then, I am no where near a size 4!  You are adorable!  Glad you found a smart suit. 

Great workouts all!  

BTW, it was almost 60 here today 

Renee the dog

What was so weird about my run today is that the first car I saw was at  5.5 miles!  Got over the first three bridges with no incident, and things were great.  I gave the dog to the family around mi 13 when they first came by (thank goodness).  The amount of  traffic at 50 mph on the access road/causeway and 3 bridges to cross, each with a 1 ft. high 18" wide "pedestrian walkway" (ha!), would have been impossible with the dog.  And, with the wind howling so much, I couldn't hear the cars much before they were on me (oh yeah, the pedestrian walkway is only on 1 side and so I was running with traffic ).  

So, the beginning of my run was "Where is everybody?"   The end of my run is "Oh, here they all are!"

Holly, amazing run on the TM! I'm tired just thinking about it!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

craneium, good going on your highest mileage week of the year.

Nice long runs for breger, nono, and holly.

This morning, I did a 5K race.  I did it in 26:40 (8:36 pace) which is the best of my 4  races so far this year.  The weather was nice, mid 20s and just a little wind.  There were just a few icy spots.  I preceded the race with a one mile warmup in 9:07 and followed the race with 1.9 miles at a 10:10 pace with a couple of my friends. 

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mariposai

Goodie, I got to post right after my idol, tselb Great race there dude.

Hey, love that new avatar craneium has. Trail running is so invigorating, isn't it. I can't wait for my trail race series

Tramps, if I am going to be the Pte. of Mrs. TRI TRAMPS you better keep us updated on her training and progress.

Nono, great run. Tough runner you are.

Enkie, great to see you running so well again, Alas, the foot's barking at you towards the end.

After sleeping in until 8am and a great tasty breakfast in bed delivered my mr. posie I went out for my run. 

Today I decided to run with the wind, down towards Mallot, a small town about 17 miles from home. 8 miles easy taking every chance I got to run on orchard roads I have never ran before. It must have been the sun kissing my face, the wind on my back or looking at the river meandering thru the valley that make this run the best and fastest 20 miler in history for me. After mile 8 I ran every other mile at a faster speed until mile 17. At mile 18 I called my son to come and get me since I was three towns away from home. I finished the call and then I turned around, with the wind on my face and I pressed on the gas for the last two miles at sub MP. I got to download my garmina to figure out the elevation gain. It was a hilly route. 20 miles in 3:30 minutes (I ran the last 20 miler in 3:55).

Then I came home, ate everything in sight, took a nap and now I am ready to have fun in the kitchen. I did not cook anything for Chinese New Year, which was earlier this week, so I am going to put some Chinese music on and start concocting some yummy food for the boys plus 3 other friends so far. I know that when the text message is forwarded among their friends that Mrs. Posie is cooking chinesee food more will stop by to see how we are doing . Just the way I like it.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Maniac 505

Mari: what a fun day.  

My last 20 before Bataan is tomorrow.  I had a painless dentist appointment this morning, then spent the rest of the day sitting at home,  waiting for the refrigerator repair man,  promised between 1 and 5PM,  he finally showed up at 5:15,

Oh well.

Good evening, folks!

Mariposai - smokin' 20-miler - way to go!!

TomS - so good to have you back -we missed you!  Nice race!

nono - glad you survived your run!

Helen - hope you soaked up that warm weather -  I am so envious.  We were probably up in the 40's today, but it was windy, so we didn't get to enjoy the "balmy" weather.

Holly - excellent TM workout!

Craneium - congrats on the weekly PR!

Still wondering what's become of Jlynne? 

2 hours on the elliptical followed by 1.5 hours on the treadmill this morning.   No running on the treadmill - just walking to test the foot.    My favorite scale at the fitness center indicated a loss of 2 pounds this week which made my day.  

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous