Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 10.15.13 (Read 43 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I'm just checking in. I can see by the volume of posts that you all have been very busy! But I haven't had time to dive into them, so please forgive my lack of appropriate responses.

We got back from DW's family reunion in VA Beach late last night. The weather wasn't perfect, but we had a great time. It was a relatively (get it - 'relatively') small family reunion with about 35 people, but that gave us more time to spend with each one. There was lots of talking, laughing, picture-taking, cooking, eating, drinking, etc. Not near enough sleeping. I got in 2 nice workouts on the pancake-flat roads, and spent some time teaching a niece the fundamentals of racewalking (which she picked up very, very quickly). It took us 12+ hours to drive home yesterday, thanks to some nasty traffic in NJ and CT, but at least we got home safely. We got to bed at about 11:30 last night, so working out at 4 o'dark this morning wasn't happening. So it goes.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Welcome back, Jay.  And welcome in, Mo Boy.  Great place to hang out.  Running, not running, (walking, as the case may be), we cover a little bit of everything.

What's the opposite of sproinky?  that would be this morning's run.  4 slow un-energized miles this morning.  Even had a decent night's sleep. Confused  Oh well, at least I won't have to stay up late to watch the Sox game today.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Good morning guys. Ouch - 12 hours in the car? No thanks! Sounds like sleeping in was the right choice today. But knowing you, Jay, that meant you were probably up at 4:30 instead of 3:45 Smile

Sorry for your sproinkless run, Kevin. How are your temps right now?

It was 51° and raining here this morning. Well, it wasn't raining when I started out but was coming down at a good clip at about the 2 mile mark so I turned around and came home. Then drove to the Y and took a 45 minute spin class and did some core work.

DS#2 is engaged to a wonderful young lady with a little girl who's about a year and a half. She was sick and couldn't go to day care yesterday so she got to hang out with grandma. I hope she's better today, poor little kid. Off to disinfect the house...

King of PhotoShop

I used to have a client in Va. Beach.  It's also where JDrunner lives (was that her handle?, Meg, you know who I mean, very fast).

I guess the sproinkless running is infectious, as I did 3.4 with no energy at all. Tomorrow is track day so I hope I'm all rested up.

Sprinkling rain, warm and humid here, just like yesterday.  Spareribs

Slo

Woke up to rain showers so stayed under the covers. I'll do a RAW tonight.

DW wants me to run the Kiawah Island Marathon seeing as how it is at about the right time for me given when I think I will be ready to run one.  So it looks like that is the one it will be.

Today was 9 miles versus zombies.  The zombies got me but I think they cheated. The cell phone GPS was a bit odd today.  Caught after a few seconds when I was going down hill pretty fast.  Then escaped too easily another time in the flats.  I saw Gravity over the weekend with my DW.  Quite a good movie but I noticed there was no disclaimer that "No satellites where harmed in the making of this movie."  I wonder if they knocked out a few of the GPS satellites . . .

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

[[[[[ DG ]]]]]]...........would it help if we told you you were An Inspiration??

welcome aboard gary///////

============

32mprnb

double wgt sessions, 15min alt xbike

.....................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Hi everyone! Got home from Chicago late yesterday afternoon, and so I'm not caught up on here at all.... But I just wanted to say I had the most amazing marathon experience on Sunday! First time running in my MM Diva singlet, which helped me pick out "friends" on the course that I would otherwise not have known. Met up with the Barefoot Bandito and shared a couple miles with him, and learned that he was a friend of Tet's. I told him I'm known as OrangeMat here, and we became fast friends. Smile Unfortunately we separated at a water station when he stopped to wash his feet... ah the perils of running barefoot...

So here's a quick synopsis, and then I'll do my best to catch up: My plan was to jog the race with my friend Sandra, whose goal time was 4:45. Unfortunately she started having trouble around mile 11, and urged me to go on without her. She ended up finishing in 5:14, walking the entire second half, poor thing... So once we separated, I was free to run what was comfortable for me, but still kept it at a nice "sightseeing" pace. Ended up with a huge negative split of over 7 minutes for the second half, most of which was gained in the last 10k. Finished in 4:35:57 and felt great! Now the hardest part is keeping from kicking myself that I didn't try to speed up more to try to beat my PR of 4:25. Ah well, I did stick to my original plan of taking this one easy, so I should relish that success, right? Two weeks to rest and maybe even taper for real, and then we'll see what I can do at MCM. Smile

Boy am I ever disappointed to have a post by Jay without the usual review.  I count on that being as I'm always behind here. Wink

2Kitty - Big grin

No rain here, only a beautiful clear sky chock full of stars at 5:15 a.m.  Crispy enough for me to keep my sleeves and gloves on the whole time.  Sorry for unsproinkiness for some folks.  I was quite pleased with how my 4.25 miles when this a.m., considering how sore I am from all the squatting and lunging I did yesterday.  (Inner thighs and buttocks - Shocked.  Evidently it's been awhile since I've done much of that.)

MTA - OM, you posted while I was writing.  Congratulations on a well-run race!

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Dave59

I woke up this morning feeling like 3-day old leftover pizza.  (That's what I saw in the fridge this morning and it did not look good.)

So I will just sit at my desk and work as well as I can.  Not enough days off left to take off today (stoopid shingles).

My daughter, who is getting married in 20 some days posted a picture on Facebook of (her 5-year old daughter) Annabelle after she just cut off a chunk of her own hair.  She wasn't too pleased at the timing of that.  Smile   Getting old sucks, but one of my greatest joys is seeing my granddaughter do things like this to her mother.

Mariposai

OrangeMat, way to stick to your plans! Your next marathon will be a PR marathon, I just know it.

{{{{Dave}}}} "I woke up this morning feeling like 3-day old leftover pizza." Big grin. Way too funny,.

Twocat, sorry (not Joking) to see that the zombies got you. My mission was all messed up last week as well and I had no GPS problem at all since I was running in town. 

Jlynne, the little girl is a lucky one. To have a sweet day with grandma must have been a great day for her, even when she was sick.

No running for me yet (today is another furlough day for me, so I am planning to do some home-caring this morning and run in the afternoon). I plan to do my long run today since I missed running long last weekend and this coming weekend I have a wedding in Portland, which will mean no time for an LR either.

Leslie! you are my idol!

Tramps, I keep meaning to answer your question about the water park. This water park is for a town where they had to shut down their municipal swimming pool due to budget crisis and no other pool in town  The kids in that town have no place to go play during  the hot summer months, so this water park will give them a nice venue to stay cool and have fun. 

Spareribs, great article yesterday!

Ok, time to go to my favorite store: Home Depot

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

will run for popsicles

oh, man. i feel like such a slacker. But I work till 2 a.m., so my morning run usually happens around 1 p.m. I live in South Tejas, so that ensures I always catch the hottest part of the day, a huge bonus in a land where it's still 84 in mid-October.

In the land of coincidence, I HAD A THREE-DAY LEFTOVER PIZZA FOR BREAKFAST YESTERDAY!! We had pizza two days in a row, meaning pizza leftovers on the third day (served in a bowl with milk as a zesty cereal treat.) That would be my advice. If it's totally gross, just cover in milk. Or maybe serve a la mode. Anything is edible if there's ice cream underneath it. ( remember as a young runner reading that Bill Rodgers loved cold pizza with mayo. I think that's why I started running.)

You know you married wisely when you can type "DW wants me to run the Kiawah Island Marathon."

I ran four terrifying miles today. Not sure if they were sproinky. The run itself was fine, but when I looked at my garmin for the mile split, I saw that my hand was covered in blue oil paint. I am married to an arteeeeest, so I feared there was  a good chunk of painting that had been transferred from canvas to my hand somewhere as I was getting ready to run.

As it turns out, she had decided to stick her palette under my watch cradle. A happy ending. And I have a head start on my Halloween Smurf costume.

Happy Day After Columbus Day! I hope you have a sproinky day, unless that's a bad thing. you kids and your fancy words ...

p.s. thank you for the warm welcome. you guys are way too nice.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Day After Columbus Day! I hope you have a sproinky day, unless that's a bad thing. you kids and your fancy words ...

p.s. thank you for the warm welcome. you guys are way too nice.

Sproinky is good.  It means having a little spring in your step.  And don't worry, it won't last.  Abuse is sure to follow.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

wildchild

Carolyn

Hey mo boy,  those food choices sound appalling!  Looks like you'll fit right in here.  Joking

Jlynne, how nice that you're getting a new granddaughter with the new daughter-in-law!

Sending hugs and duct tape to deegee!

I had a sproinkless 6 mile trail run at lunchtime - my stomach didn't feel good. It was chilly and snowing lightly.  Lots of prairie dogs out today.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Holly, you have a right to be proud of your kids.  fatozzig, I don't envy you the skunk episode.  I'm glad it worked out well.  PBJ, nice marathon in spite of the hot jester costume.  OM, good job on your marathon.  wild, congrats on your highest mileage week ever.  CNY, way to go on your two races.  Mo Boy, welcome, post often.  dg and roch, it's good to hear from you.

Nice long run for Twocat, evan, mari, Sarge, Tramps, and wild.

This morning, it was about 50° and almost calm.  I must have left my Garmin turned on the last time I used it as it registered a dead battery just a few steps after I started.  I ran my most common 8 mile route so am fairly sure of the (approximate) distance.  My run felt hard the whole way but I rationalized that, since it couldn't be proven otherwise, I must have been running faster than usual.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS