Masters Running

Tue Sep 8 Runs and Workouts (back to work you slackers :) ) (Read 390 times)

Well, we'll go back to work on Thursday -- still visiting / helping out with the new parents.  (new pictures posted at http://www.pbase.com/lking/babynate , by the way, starting with http://www.pbase.com/lking/image/116983501 )

Well, that was fun!  Ran into rtravers just as I was getting started.  We chatted for a bit before going our separate ways

Hmm.  Almost tempo pace but less than MP effort.  All that means is this was flat and cool -- just how I like it.  Smile

8.1 miles, 1:02:34, 7:41/mi, AHR 151 (77% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

3.5 miles at recovery pace.

I avoided becoming a hood ornament today.

I ran part of this run on a sidewalk.  As I approached a cross street I could see a pair of headlights meaning a car was approaching the corner to turn onto the street I was running alongside.  Something told me to stop.  The car didn't.  Blasted right around the corner.  He certainly didn't care about the stop sign he had.  I don't think he ever looked my way or saw me or my blinking lights.

With a total lack of self-control I gave him the universal "You're Number 1" symbol.  I don't think he saw that either.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice run Lou!

Glad you're safe Bill!

Too warm for me today (68F with 93%) to do my planned 6 mi Tempo.  Ended up with a good first mile (7:28) then a sucky second mile uphill (7:54) so stopped, let the HR drop and tried to keep sub 7 for as long as I could,  That lasted 0.7 miles. finished up that mile after catching breath with sub 7. Then mustered 7:42 for the 4th mile.  Cut the tempo 2 miles short because this was going nowhere fast.  At least the knee felt good at paces in the 6's. Then 2 mi cooldown at 9:22.

Overall 8 miles in 1:10:52 (8:52 with 4 at 7:30).  We'll try this again...Another day...

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Good morning guys. Lou - great pictures of baby Nate. He has such beautiful eyes. I especially liked the one of him looking at Grandma PDR. The parents still look a little tired though!

Wow - that was close this morning Bill.  Good thing you were awake.

First attempt at running after a trip to the ER last Thursday night for a reaction to an antibiotic the doctor prescribed for a UTI. I spent the holiday weekend in bed with zero energy and nasty after-effects. Who does stupid things like this on a long holiday weekend?  I managed 4 slow painful miles at a 10:01 pace, enough to put me over the 1,000 mile mark for the year.  Lots of catching up to do reading the dailies.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Whew, Bill.  that was close.

Glad you're feeling better JLynne. What a lousy way to spend a holiday weekend - that hardly seems fair.  But congrats on hitting 1k miles.

9.0 miles at 9:40 pace.  We've had just wonderful weather here, and it's been a joy to run.

Now we're off to spend our last day with the baby.  I think they wish we'd just stay for another couple weeks, but I'm about out of vacation time at work.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Slo

Jlynne, Congrats on the 1000 mile mark !  Hope your back to 100% soon !

WFRB, Perch....very nice runs !

Bill, I almost got personal with a Dodge emblem today on my bike commute.

My run didn't quite turn out the way I planned. It was to be a 2 x10min @ 10k interval run. I always start these to fast and fall short of completeing the 2nd one. The other error I make is if 10 mins is good then 12 - 13 ought to be better. So not only to I run to fast but I run to long and then I bag the 2nd interval around the half way point. I always redeem myself by making a 3rd attempt after a decent recovery. All in all I ran 7.3 miles with a total of 4.36 miles at a 7:06 avg pace.

Dan Gable is speaking tonight at the local community college.......I'm thinking it'll be worth the $4 to go listen.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Breger - close call! 

Jlynne - bummer!  Glad you're feeling better.

ETA - CNYrunner - smokin' race yesterday!!!

Too much good food and wine at a cookout yesterday afternoon made this morning’s run sluggish, so once again I bagged the planned speedy workout.  I’ll try to get back on track with Thursday’s tempo run. 

As for today, 7.5 easy-paced miles with some striders here and there in a dense fog.

Twocat – I used your jerk chicken marinade recipe yesterday for my contribution to the cookout and it was a big hit.  I marinated a whole, cut-up chicken overnight, baked it in the oven at home, then drove to our friends’ house and threw it on the grill for a few minutes before serving – everyone loved it!   Do you have a Trader Joe’s near where you live?  I served it with a spicy peanut coleslaw that complimented it nicely – shredded carrots and cabbage, raisins, blister peanuts, and Trader Joe’s Spicy Peanut Vinaigrette. 

Our friend Scott was manning the grill, and when a small piece dropped off the chicken he unthinkingly popped it into his mouth, not realizing it was a chunk of habanera pepper.  He later laughingly told me, “My mouth suddenly caught on fire and I started to get scared and ran into the house for something to put it out.”

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Henrun

Glad everyone is recovering from the good (and bad) long weekend. Did a 3.3 tempo run this morning after a disastrous 10 K race yesterday. It was another PW and I ended up 4/4. Granted it was very hilly but the weather was perfect for running. I keep blaming it on aging, but I decided to put some effort into my daily runs. Hence the tempo run this morning and my 3.3 mile course was 5 to 8 minutes faster than usual. 

Marj had a good run yesterday and got some hardware for her 3rd place finish. She says she has one speed only but it works for her in races.

Now we both have to get it together for a half next month.

dg.

I started at the end of the thread,  though I did skip back up to see baby Nate.  Thanks Lou, such great pictures.  So happy for all of you.    I have to stop here & catch up later.  Just as swamped at work as I was during my run.

2 things from yesterday... Karin... Big grin.   You are amazing.  Congratuations    & Holly, thanks.

WTG  Marge!   Same to you Henrun, good approach.   I don't know if we have the same knee issue; I don't know what mine is yet.  But hills are hard on it... maybe you could blame it on that.  ;-).

Holly, I had all your reasons dragging me down this morning!   Plus this stoopid cold/sore throat that I can't seem to shake.   It turned out ok though. 

Low 60's & a steady downpour, slight wind.  Plan was 8 miles at base pace. I almost stopped at 4 because of thunder & because I WANTED to, but I didn't really want to. Did 8.06, 9:57 pace, 9:05 max. 165 ahr, 179 max.  miles were faster than my base pace, slower than yours. Wink.  10:27, 9:52, 9:44, 9:42, 9:46, 10:00, 10:07, 9:56.  It was kind of nice, met a similarly paced guy that's training for Detroit, the same day as Columbus, & we ran about a mile together. 

evanflein

I love Marj and Henry!! I love hearing about the races you do together, well you go to them together. C'mon Henry, step it up and keep up with that woman of yours!!

That chicken sounds good, Holly. We need a sticky or something with recipes... I know there have been several really good ones posted here but I also know I'll never find them. I try to save them on my computer when I think of it...

Careful there, Byll! I just read an article somewhere on road rage and it specifically mentions not "flagging" the offending driver. I guess it was ok in your case because it was dark? Maybe...

Nice run, Lou, and fun to meet up with Robin! You and Harriet have been a blessing to the new parents. I don't blame them for not wanting you to leave!

Slo and Steve both had zippy runs, even if they weren't quite as planned. Nice job, guys.

I'm planning a RAL today. Feels weird to have not run yesterday... would've liked to hit the pool but it was closed for the holiday. Oh well. My house sure looks much better!

Slo

dg....way to get out there. I've never regretted sucking it up and gettin it done.

<Rant On>

This firggin piece of ^&#$ European desk calendar. It starts on a Monday. I just got done re-arranging my evening so I could go listen to Dan Gable speak.....Well he ain't speaking tonight because it's not Wed. Damn if that thing doesn't throw me off !

<Rant Off>

The funny thing about these calendars.....not only do they throw you off by a day.....they are from a very large overseas shipping company. We were sent several cases of these.....We got them in early June!

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika - I've been copying recipes onto my computer here at work when I think about it.  Here's the link to Twocat's Jerk Chicken - he got it from Epicurious.com:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Grilled-Jerk-Chicken-106516

Dg - nice job of a tough run!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

berger1 I tell my DW every now and then that I am going to carry something shiny that looks ideal for scratching cars that pass too close.  Want to be that driver would have seen that?  That kind of driving through residential areas really ticks me off!   Glad you are ok.

Holly happy to read the chicken was a hit!  Some day if we meet in person remind me to tell you the story of when my dad bit into a jalapeno pepper thinking it was a pickle!  The expression on his face is one that I only saw that one time!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Hey there, we took a vacation last week--Heartboy decided he wanted more than just one day of celebration for his birthday, so we were off, but not running.  Took a break from running, even, for a few whiles.  Back at it since Sunday, however, so don't cancel our membership here!

Karin, belated but truly heartfelt congrats.  I've been waiting to see what your results would be.  Onto Wineglass!

grins,

A

ps: black cats are definitely great (I had one, Nikki, a sweetie) but black and white cats (I've had 3, including Spencer at present) are clowns and make me laugh like none other.

Masters 2000 miles

Afternoon, gang!

Lou - gee thanks for the reminder ;-).  Great photos of little Nate!

((((Jlynne))) - holiday sicknesses are the worst - congrats on the 1000 mile mark!

SLO and Bill - be careful out there!

Holly - that spicy peanut coleslaw sounds good!

((((dg)))) - speedy recovery - seems like summer colds hang on forever - or at least it feels that way.

I had a little excess sproink this morning - the cool weather sans humidity is just too good.  1.5 mile warmup followed by 1 X 4 mile repeats (8:31; 8:29; 8:30; 8:31) and another mile cooldown with an overal 9:11 pace and 157 AHR.  Then an hour date with the weights at noon since I missed the weight workout yesterday. 

Twocat - I have puppy fever again, but DH has put his foot down about getting another dog.  I'm just going to bide my time until I see a crack in the armor, and then I'm going for it ;-). 

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous