Masters Running

Sultry Saturday - 10/29 (Read 30 times)

Dave59

We're going up into the 80s today. Supposed to be 83 on Tuesday, November 1st.

This has been an usual weather year.

What'd know?

I ran 4 miles this morning at a park over in Huntington. I wanted a change in scenery. It was my longest run in 3 months.

There was a 5k coming up at the park so I got some of the race atmosphere without the cost and pain of running a race.  It is amazing how many people show up in the last 20-30 minutes before a race. The cars were really streaming in as I was pulling out. I usually get to races early so I don't have to worry about anything.

The 2 college football teams that I like to watch play at noon today.  WVU at Oklahoma State and Michigan University at Michigan State.  Both of them are undefeated so far this year so it has been a fun year so far.

evanflein

Good morning, Dave! Well, it's still morning here, just after 8:30 a.m. Where is everybody? Good way to get a run without a race. I don't like to get to races too early because it's tiring just hanging around.

We should be having temps in the 30's today, which will be nice as long as there's no melting of the snow which just leads to an icy mess. I've got no real plans other than cleaning up the house a bit (the forever project) and getting a run in this afternoon. I like "open" weekend.

Anyone want to run the Phoenix marathon on February 25? Rates go up on Tuesday (Nov. 1). I'm signed up as is LaT, WRFB and PDR. Holly? Mariposai? Amy??

Hi Friends - sounds like a lot of races being planned for 2017. I was able to defer my MCM entry or tomorrow until next year so that will be my planned marathon as long as my body cooperates!!

Did a fun YMCA 5k today with a couple of friends from church - one is trying to lose weight and get on a healthy track so we were there to help her along. Her goal was to not walk and we were her bodyguards to make sure that didn't happen!! It was fun helping her reach her goal and we got a lot of shout-outs along the way for our matching pumpkin shirts!!

Tomorrow have 12 miles on the plan - will be my longest run since my sciatica woes started. I have a friend who agreed to run with me and we will both be running the Cambridge 1/2 marathon Nov 13. Feels good to have a goal in the horizon again!!

Have a wonderful weekend!!

denise

coastwalker

Howdy, Dave, Evanflein, Deeze, and those still out there.

Congrats on the long run, and the race without the race, Dave. I also like to get to races early so I can relax, get the lay of the land, and take my time warming up.

Evanflein, I hope it will be a while before we start talking about the mess of melting snow around here. Have phun in Phoenix in Pfebruary.

You're a good friend to help your friend reach her 5K goal. Deeze. Enjoy your 12-miler tomorrow. Isn't there also a half in Ipswitch on Nov. 13? Including the Seacoast Half and yours in Cambridge, that makes 3 halfs in this neck 'o the woods on the same day!

Thankfully, yesterday's downpours and high winds went away before our 5K this morning. It was cool (41F) and we had a brief rain shower about 15 minutes before the start, so it was pretty good racing conditions. We registered about 760 runners and walkers, which was not our best, but we'll happily take it. Of course, we had some glitches along the way, but most were minor, and I think that most/all of the racers were unaware of them, which is how it should be. And, of course, there are some things I want to change for next year's race. I did pretty well, finishing in 32:13 (according to my Garmin), and won the competitive walking div. I won $150, but am donating it back to our non-profit beneficiary. This was also the final race of our 8-race Seacoast Series, and I won the walking div. in the Series too. I didn't feel too bad after the race, so I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll be able to finish tomorrow's half with a reasonably respectable time.

Have a greta rest of your Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

pfriese

Dave59, it's warm here too. 72 degrees at the start of this morning's race. And I'll be rooting for OkState (my alma mater) though won't be too disappointed if WVU stays undefeated. Anyways, TulsaRun 15K done in 1:15:08 (~8:00/mile). Much better than expected with warm temps.

Paul

Marathon Maniac #957

Anyone want to run the Phoenix marathon on February 25? Rates go up on Tuesday (Nov. 1). I'm signed up as is LaT, WRFB and PDR. Holly? Mariposai? Amy??

Hey!  I'm in!  I don't have an Arizona marathon, and this looks like a great meet up!

6.2 miles for me today in a windy 49 degrees.

Then we went and shot some clay pigeons with shotguns with some friends and DD and friend.  I actually managed to take some of those clay pigeons down!  Beautiful day here, sunny with a high near 80.  Hard to believe it is almost November!

Steve, this is for you, and all the other Batmans out there...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

So what are you making with your pigeons, Holly?  Hope you're not just a trophy hunter that doesn't eat what you shoot.

Nice racing and even nicer use of your winnings.  This seems to be getting to be a habit with you.

3.1 miles for me this morning.  Have to work on the distance a bit, but getting around the lake a little quicker.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

evanflein

7.1 miles on slippery snowy bike paths. Feels harder than running 10 miles on dry surfaces! Glad that's done.

TammyinGP

just  a quickie here because the Beavers are on!

3 mi run yesterday. 3.1 mile today. 

IRC of 50 and light misty droplets. 

Go Beavs!

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

A fun but kind of sad running day for me.  It was the last Saturday I get to run with the cross country team for about 9 months.  It sure was fun, though.

Okay--that's it--gotta get to bed.

Mariposai

I wish I could, but my 2017 racing  plan is sealed...my marathon budget is going to be allocated for this...

I am going home to see my papa.

h

All my racing plan is planned for local races for next year or the next to pay off the cost to travel down South.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

posie -  Nothing compares to papa pilo but maybe there'll be a business trip

to Seattle or something that might include one of the area's almost weekly marathons.

I don’t run enough for a running log but, even though probably slower than crawling,

am too ecstatic about today’s Carkeek 12-hour Fun not too.

leslie - good job with the boss.
                          Doesn’t surprise me a bit he thinks of you
                          so highly over the other attorney. Wow.
                          Glad Starr, Enke and Holly got big adjustments
                          in their Portland times too. MikeE, Mariposai?

pps paul, no particular reason
                          but don’t you think holly should start
                          including some cycle training in her repertoire?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Congrats on your 4 miler Dave.

Thanks Holly, Cute kids always bring a smile.

We had our annual Zombie Run. I was going to pass as it's a cluster. I only enter to play with the grandkids. I love all the costumes. However, in a few days I can sit on my butt and the costumed kids come to our house. After oohing and ahhing a moment, I give them candy and the little heathens go away.

DD#2 had the day off and wanted to watch JuJu (Jude) race. So DW, Tag and I signed up. Well, Tag bandit-ed the course. Race starts at 9:00 with parking 1/3 a mile way. I saw my Kyle and Kirsten. I told Kyle that he'd most likely finish before we got across the start. DD#2 shows up at 8:50. No time for make up, with is fine. Grammy had to make sure GS#2 has drinks, snacks, a book and toys. The race started and we head over to the start line. Ooops... Juju might need an extra coat. DD#2 has to go back to get her coat. Someone forgot gloves for the kid. And we start for the start again and hurry before they finish resetting for the finish.

And we're off!!!

"Looking strong Kyle!".

When we see other dogs on the course, Tag like to bounce up to them and "gruff". This time it was different. After the "gruff", Tag barked and got away fast.

We had to keep going back to see the decorated houses.

DW had a fit because some one had their kid in a jogger with out any socks on.

Jude had plenty of snacks and drinks. Poor guy never finished his book though.

3/4 of a mile out, we finally let him out to run.

His soft sing song voice repeated, "Run Fast! Run Fast!".

1:02:09 for a 5K.

SteveP

Mike E

MM #5615

Well, that's the cutest little Batman, I've ever seen...Kyle's cute, too....

Holy costumes Batman! Great pictures!