Masters Running

JANUARY Plank Challenge 12/31 - 1/6 (Read 472 times)

TammyinGP

For the entire month of January, we'll be having a Plank Challenge. 

this will be a daily challenge.  for the first week, the goal is 60 seconds of planks. Each week will run from Monday - Sunday. Each subsequent week, we'll add another 30 seconds of plank, so that by the fourth week, you will have progressed to 150 seconds a day of planks.

Forward (or downward) facing planks are excellent for core and abdominal strengthening, including your back. If you are new to planks, you'll probably also feel it in your shoulders as that will be an area that supports some of your weight in the plank position.

Side planks are great for focusing on the obliques.

This is your challenge, so tailer it to fit what works for you, while at the same time is challenging to you. For some this might be holding a forward facing plank for a full 60 seconds. for others it might be holding your plank for 30 seconds, and then doing a 15 second plank on each side.

this is what your forward plank will look like:

note that your butt isn't up in the air, nor is your stomach sagging downward, and you don't want to shrug your shoulders. also make sure your elbows on rested on the floor directly under your shoulders.

a side plank looks like this:

Again, you want to make sure your elbow is rested on the floor under your shoulder and you want to keep your body in straight alignment.

Even holding this position for 15 seconds is a challenge!

Each subsequent week, as we add an additional 30 seconds to our plank time, I'll show some variations that you can do to even make it more challenging for those that are already finding this basic position easy to do.

If you are interested in doing the plank challenge, this will be the thread to check in with. You don't have to post daily that you did the planks, but if you want to, that's great! It helps keep people motivated to see who else is also participating.

If you have any questions, just let me know! I hope many will join the challenge - I think it'll be fun and will be a great supplemental exercise to help you are a runner also.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Thanks for the pictures and the explanations, Tammy.

Also, don't forget that we have 5 weeks in January, so we will be up to 180 seconds by the last week - we will have cores like rock!

60-second forward plank for me today.  Darn near killed me.  I actually felt out of breath afterward!

I have really let myself go.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Funny....I started doing planks - side planks a few months ago. LOL, I can hold a standard front plank for 30 minutes or longer if I wanted too....soooo, wonder what kind of goal I can have, to share the plank challenge with you all. Is there a way to make standard planks harder - more difficult? I will admit planks have done my body good, and I have abs like I've NEVER had before :-)

TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

TriBee2010

I heard a rumor from Tramps that this challenge was going to happen. I'm in!

coastwalker

TimBo - why would anyone want to hold a plank for 30 minutes?? Do you have a part-time job as a coffee table? I don't think I could hold the position for that long. But more to the point, I can't imagine why I'd want to!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

lamerunner

Not January yet.. but I have started doing some planks. More core is always good. Last night almost 4  minutes of planks; two front, 60 seconds and 50 seconds, and one each side, 60 seconds.

Will these help my left knee????

Happy new Year

TammyinGP

there are variations you can do to make this more challenging, like lift one arm straight out in front you and the opposite leg extended back behind you. Or it you are Timbo, you can try balancing your entire body on one arm. Joking

i know that some of you are more advanced in your core strength and won't be challenged by a 60 second or even a 120 second plank, so you can either double all the times to challenge yourself, or add a variation like I described above.

I haven't done my planks yet. but i will! Big grin

Tammy

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

TimBo - why would anyone want to hold a plank for 30 minutes?? Do you have a part-time job as a coffee table? I don't think I could hold the position for that long. But more to the point, I can't imagine why I'd want to!

Jay

i have to agree I don't see the point in doing a plank for 30 minutes.

I don't understand why some people treat their abs differently than every other muscles.

i lift weights and do side bends and cruches with weights.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Mike E

MM #5615

I did mine for 60 seconds and not a fraction of a second more.

Marathon Maniac #957

Funny....I started doing planks - side planks a few months ago. LOL, I can hold a standard front plank for 30 minutes or longer if I wanted too....soooo, wonder what kind of goal I can have, to share the plank challenge with you all.

Obviously there is nothing here to challenge you if you can hold a plank for 30 minutes.  Really, you are way too far ahead of the rest of us with this.  Maybe next month we'll be doing something you find challenging?  Suggestions?

Tribee - hiyah!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TriBee2010

Hiyah back at 'ya, Holly!

No more marathons

My son keeps telling me "Dad, you need to work on your core".  So here goes.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Marathon Maniac #3309

TimBo - why would anyone want to hold a plank for 30 minutes?? Do you have a part-time job as a coffee table?

LOL.........Jay, now that's funny Smile

OK, Ya have to see the phrasing of what I said........ "I can hold a standard front plank for 30 minutes or longer "if I wanted too" (I don't want to)  I have been doing planks for a pretty long time now, and to me it's one of those exercises that gets easier very quickly if a person is consistent with them. I have found a good way to fit planks into my routine, is to get on my floor during TV commercials, and hold what ever variety of plank I want for the duration of the commercial (3 - 4 minutes) I just do this when the mood strikes, but always do planks after I run.

For the record...........I don't do a plank for 30 minutes, I just know I could. Honestly, after a few minutes I get bored, but hold it till I think I've worked enough to give my core the desired result  (but I don't feel the burn or tiredness of them anymore) But really, after I started doing these, it was a very short period of time when they became easier and could hold them for quite some time. I could never have the patience for 30 minutes....but adding up how many I do splitting them up during the course of a day, really adds up and has done wonders for my abs.

Holly................new challenge ?  I have one....but not doing it till March so the weather will hopefully be mild. I mentioned this challenge to my marathon maniac Gal friend of mine in Ohio, named Dianne. And after she heard about the challenge she said............OH Tim, totally count me in on that!!! (she's a nut like me - lol) But we're gonna do the -  add one mile a day running for a month challenge. I'm not saying I can complete this, but not saying I can't either, but will be fun seeing how far we can go. Won't be too bad till we reach like 20 days - 20 miles....then 21, 22, 23, and so on. We're both single (without a real life we both admit, LOL)  and this will take a lot of our time once we get up to the higher mileage - but we have the time. I'm going to run twice a day when I can, which will help tremendously I think.

Oh yeah planks...........they really are a great workout, and it's pretty easy finding the time to do them. Stay consistant, and everyone will be amazed at the results.......swimsuit season will be here before we know it (ok, not really - but still)

TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Thanks for this Tammy and Holly---happy to try this and good for me too!

Reporting in with my January 1--- 60 second forward plank

Reporting in with my January 2----60 second forward plank, 2x30 seconds side planks

Reporting in with my January 3----65 second forward plank, 2x35 seconds side planks

blah, blah, blah..........January 4----65 second forward plank, 2x35 seconds side planks

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>-January 5----65 second forward plank, 2x35 seconds side planks

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>-January 6-----65 second forward plank, 2x40 seconds side planks

(sixty seconds flies by when you are trying to shave seconds off a PR and goes S-L-O-W-L-Y while planking and watching the clock! yowsa)

Marathon Maniac #957

Checking in with Day 2 of planks.  Today I did a 30-second plank on each side.