Masters Running

JANUARY Plank Challenge 12/31 - 1/6 (Read 472 times)

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Oh no no no no.  Besides, I doubt mine will look visibly different, as they are hiding under a nice layer of jiggle.  BTW, I had to modify my planks by putting my knees down.  I could only hold 40 seconds in the true plank position, but could do 60 modified.  I know there was discussion of doing a different challenge every month, so if planks come back around, I'll try true planks then.

I'm doing multiple sets of 30 seconds rather than trying for a full 60, because I feel it's better to do a shorter amount of time with proper form than try to tough it for longer with bad and collapsing form. The time is cumulative no matter what, right? Just a thought.... Smile

janie b good

done for thursday!

p.s.  when i do planks in yoga class, we do them "push-up" style (elbows are not bent with forearms resting on the floor).  i've been doing mine this week like the picture at the beginning of the thread and for some reason, it hurts my elbows.  but i'm gonna try to tough it out for the remainder of the week.  maybe i just have weak elbows and they need conditionining!  lol.

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Janie, try to shift your weight slightly forward, so you have equal weight down your forearms to your wrists. Sometimes having your shoulders just slightly ahead of your elbows balances things better in the body. Also remember to scoot your toes forward so they're tucked under nicely, so you feel strongly braced in the position.

Ah this is all coming back to me now, all those years I used to teach core.... Wink

jeffdonahue

Got 1 minute plank in last night and 30 seconds on each side - totalled 2 minutes.

Did the same today at lunch.

Shoot - I am sooooooooooooo behind!!  I miss you guys so much I am taking on this challenge just to get myself back in here!!Big grinBig grin

Heading to the gym soon so will catch up and make sure I get in at least 4 sets of 60 second planks in some form - see ya later!!Roll eyes

denise

TammyinGP

Glad to see so many people doing this and tweaking it in such a way to challenge you.

I did 45 seconds forward plank and 20-25 seconds on each side this morning.

Because a strong core is so important in running and for injury protection, we'll be doing planks again this year, as well as other monthly challenges that involve the core.

Tammy

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Clearly this person needs to work at this. I managed 15 seconds and 8 seconds on side planks. But it was a start.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

TammyinGP

Clearly this person needs to work at this. I managed 15 seconds and 8 seconds on side planks. But it was a start.

Good Job!! I think you'll amaze yourself with the improvement you'll see by the end of this month!  I get more excited about someone just starting out with planks and that can hold it for 15-30 seconds! Those are great accomplishments --- just like when someone is starting out running for the first time and they can make it around a track once without stopping - that's a great feeling!

Tammy

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Good Job!! I think you'll amaze yourself with the improvement you'll see by the end of this month!  I get more excited about someone just starting out with planks and that can hold it for 15-30 seconds! Those are great accomplishments --- just like when someone is starting out running for the first time and they can make it around a track once without stopping - that's a great feeling!

+1

lamerunner

one minute front; one minute each side last night. Knee very sore after cortisone shot so the front one was tough...

janie b good

Janie, try to shift your weight slightly forward, so you have equal weight down your forearms to your wrists. Sometimes having your shoulders just slightly ahead of your elbows balances things better in the body. Also remember to scoot your toes forward so they're tucked under nicely, so you feel strongly braced in the position.

Ah this is all coming back to me now, all those years I used to teach core.... Wink

orangemat... thank you so, so much!  i will definitely try this tomorrow!

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

an amazing likeness

Almost blew it last night, on day three....was watching some TV after the news and skimming RA at 11:58PM, saw this thread and...forehead slap!  Down the floor, finished at 11:59:45 on the laptop clock.  Whew.

I sure hope you're not over promising and that I will look like that dude pictured on page 1 after doing these for a month.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

ok -think I'm caught up!!  I did 4 sets of 60 second planks - 30 sec front, 30 sec side plank - repeated this 4 times with breaks in between each set.   I used the timer on my Iphone to keep me honest and it's a good thing --- apparently what I think is a second is not quite so on the timer!!Blush

denise

1 min forward with left foot wrapped around back of right foot (hurts to put the pressure on the toes with foot issue), and 30 secs each side.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Got my planks in before my 10 miler this evening.