Masters Running

Evan's Boston Race Report... a redemption run? (Read 563 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Turns out I'd beat a couple of runners from Fairbanks, including the women's record holder on the Equinox!
    Final time: 3:32:33, average pace 8:07, 28th in 50-54 women AG out of 779 finishers.

Erika -

Looks like you beat more than a couple of runners. 

http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_story/7173956/article-Eight-Fairbanks-residents-finish-114th-Boston-Marathon?instance=local_sports

I'm glad the News-Miner figured out something special happened at Boston this year

and gave you your due too.  I bet if you do the 50K again at the September Equnox,

all the women'll be retreating to the marathon distance.

Did you know that you had a seven-second race going on with Mrs. Equinox?

ps - it's especially great to go so far away and have so many friends waiting.

====================

FAIRBANKS DAILY NEWS-MINER (4/22/10)

Erika Van Flein was the top female finisher from Fairbanks,

edging Equinox Marathon record holder Susan Faulkner of Fairbanks by seven seconds.

Van Flein finished in 3:32:33 to lace 7,848 overall and 1,612 among the women.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

As always it was great spending time with you.  Excellent, outstanding race Erika.  Pretending you were on a long training run worked great for you.  I am so glad you've gotten mostly over your injury issues.

Now for that sub 3:30! 

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

I told you it was a PR course!  What a great race you ran, as if there was any doubt after watching your recent training.  I wish I wasn't trying to find my jacket when you came by -- I'm sure the pics of you would have been great seeing your smiling face rather than only your hair.

You ran an incredible race, Erika, which was fun to watch on the web updates on my phone as it was happening.  You only slowed a very little at the end.  I think you have even faster times than this in your legs, if you'd only learn to run slow a couple of times a week when training Smile

It was great to see you again, and fun to have you stay with us.  Having said all that, I'm sure glad I got to the oatmeal before you did.  Big grin

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

lamerunner

Hey Erika; nice to see your report.  Great run! It must have felt particularly sweet after having to drop out last year. I admire your energy; travel is tiring!

wildchild

Carolyn

Erika, congrats on another PR Boston race!    Well done.  That's a long way to travel but you certainly made the most of  it.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Fun race report, great job, and nice job speeding up at the end too!

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Erika – it was a joy to see you here in Boston. You really ran a beautiful race. This alone defined what a fantastic day you had!

“I just kept chugging along and going through Brookline I remember doing the mental math (always a good sign to be able to do that) that I could run 10 minute miles and still PR! That didn't happen though, as my last miles were all in the low 8's.”

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

This was really great, Erika. I remember how bummed you were in last year's RR after the troubles that you ran into. I too always hate it when some injury that's not really running-related is what gets you. But it sounds like this year's experience more than made up for it.

Keep the good races coming -- you have many more of them in you!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Slo

WOW !

Erika....You ran an awesome race.....and you really kicked ass in you age division ! (BTW....I would have never guessed that was your AG)

I loved your RR......from the meet ups to the finish line....what a blast....what a race......awesome job !

And this doesn't even take into account what your training conditions are !

Very nice, Erika.  What a great story in making that comeback from last year.  You've worked hard at recovery and at training and pulled it off nicely.

Congratulations!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Erika - you are simply amazing!!    Congratulations!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks Erika for your excellent RR

I know you are a very determined and speedy runner, and your training as of late before Boston had been superb as we all noticed. It's just it seemed like yesterday you were struggling with injury - pool running and X Training - then all of a sudden BAM......you were rocking your runs and 20 milers, and your training all came together for a Great Race.

Thanks for sharing and taking us along for the ride. And like Slo said.....it doesn't seem right that your are in the 50 AG 

Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Erika!  This was so much fun to read, even though I knew the ending.  I love happy endings!!!!  Can't think of anyone who deserves one more, either.

Revenge is sweet--you killed the course.  Big huge CONGRATS!   

grins,

A

ps......................despite past comments, I'm guessing this may not have been your last Boston..................

Masters 2000 miles

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika – I know the Garmin splits are never perfect, but they’re pretty darn close and I still love to see them.  I know with your foot problems you had some trepidations about this race, but you sure came through with flying colors!  Beautiful race!

And yes, I had a HUGE good time rooming and running around with you – you are the BEST!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

You mean to tell us that you ran at Boston too Holly?  Why, without a race report I can't be certain that you did.  Don't try to put one over on us!  Spareribs